Summary

Value4
Ambience4
Complimentary bread and butter spread, Canadian baby back ribs, Pork Parcels, Red Wine, Scallops with almond sauce, Calamari, Home-made ice-cream, Key lime pie, Pork Prime Rib, Salmon, Salmon En Croute, Seafood casserole, White wine View all
After Work, Chillout, Dinner, Girls Night Out, Anniversary, Hidden Find, Night Out, Romance/First Dates, Wine Lists, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Birthdays, Trendy View all

Great place to wine and dine

My friend and I just had dinner here tonight for the first time, and we loved the place! The food and wine were amazing - definitely value for money. Ambience was great as well..not too noisy so you can actually have a nice conversation over dinner. The wine tasting "vending machine" was a great concept especially when you're not sure what you'd like to have. It reminded me of wine tasting at vineyard cellar doors. For food, we had the "pizza" with tomato and basil, canadian ribs (very tender...meat came off the bones so easily when you cut it!) and salmon pastry - all very good! Gerald and his team provided superb service with a personal touch which made the place pretty special as not many good restaurants provide such service these days. Very glad to have discovered this place and will definitely be back!

Most helpful reviews for Praelum Wine Bistro

OK Food Excellent Service Great Drinking Place

See my full reviews & photos at = http://chefquak.com/2014/08/03/average-food-very-good-service-praelum-wine-bistro-on-1aug2014/

couldn’t think of a place for dinner. looked at the palate outlets & decided to try praelum wine bistro at duxton hill. a slight put-off though thinking of the traffic & parking. anyway we decided to park at craig place carpark which charges hourly. came to S$4.50 for parking but at least no hassle.
it was actually a great watering hole, great place for a drink. praelum is latin for wine press for crushing grapes & extracting juice. but i don’t drink so that was wasted on me. haha!
nice ambience & crowd. it was 8pm on a friday night & all the tables were taken up so we sat at the counter.
to their credit this place served & did not charge for water. my wife ordered one full pint of hoegaarden. it tasted great, i agree.
the baguette was nice & warm! i guess we were hungry but this was good with the butter.
we ordered mostly their recommendations. the young server was very helpful. the crispy crust tarte flambe was the french answer to italian pizza? very crispy dough. onions gave it sweetness & the egg some texture. wife felt the cheese was not “pang” aka flavourful enough. overall, quite edible maybe average or above cannot really c/w a good pizza.
the herb escargot was the best of the lot. it’s like a dozo cheese gratin escargot combined with a usual herb seasoning. quite excellent, and the bread went very well with the remaining sauces.
the portobello was a little strange. i liked both blue cheese & portobello but they didn’t seem to combine very well. grilled portobello with simple olive oil & sea salt is very nice & easy to do at home & someone the added blue cheese masked or reduced rather than enhanced the flavours. i was ok with the ribs. i was expecting the sweet sticky version, not my favourite but an ok dish. wife though it was below average c/w say tony roma’s.
after amex palate 50% discounts for 2pax, the bill came to S$36++ for the 4 dishes. the beer was another S$14 no discounts.
while the food was not quite what i would crave for, it was competent 7 pretty ok for the price, after palate discount that is.
& i can see that many (young & old) would enjoy the ambience, crowd & drinking here.
must say something about the truly excellent service. the young partner is a wine specialist – he said he was in the trade from 16. & all the young servers were very very friendly & helpful. 1 lady asked if we would like to shift to a vacated table but we were quite happy to sit at the counter & let others have the table.

Great food and wine

Visit www.ms-skinnyfat.com for details on the giveaway!

I love the Duxton area for the copious cafes, restaurants and quaint little stores, as well as the generally laid back atmosphere any time of the week. I've been rediscovering da hood these couple of weeks so you can be expecting a few more restaurants to be added to my Duxton list. So happens that Praelum Wine Bistro is a restaurant under the Palate Card and that gave me a chance to utilize my privileges!

After Amanda, our young and bubbly sommelier, passed us our wine card, we proceeded to have a little wine tasting of our own. The drinks are available in 3 sizes, tasting, half and full glass. This is great because you could try many bottles before deciding on the drink (or drinks) for the night.

If you don't know what to get, Amanda is really good at giving recommendations. My Austrian Leth- Roter Veltliner Schieben was aromatic, extremely concentrated, smooth, round and waxy on the palate with a bit of spice and racy acidity. I found this a great food wine that is refreshing and friendly.

The Tarte Flamee- Classic Alsatian "Pizza" ($15) is actually a thin crust bread dough that is baked to cracker crispiness. We had ours with creme friache, onions, bacon and egg and i loved how the yolk coated the slice to give it that extra moisture. The onion may be a little overpowering but it was delicious nonetheless. Vegetarian option is also available.

The Escargot with herb and garlic-basil pesto (1/2 dozen $16) is a must order. W and I mopped the sauce with our buttered bread and left nothing in our pot. It can be so hard to find a sauce this flavorful and i liked how the snail had absorbed all that essence thoroughly.

You got to be crazy to say no to the Bacon wrapped Scallops ($18). The rich Bernaise sauce was the icing on the cake and had me ooohing and aaahing as i chewed on the juicy morsel.

The Roasted Pork Parcels ($16) was undoubtedly our favorite dish of the night. Juicy pork fillets stuffed with herb filling, mushroom, cream cheese, wrapped with pork belly and roasted and then topped with apple sauce. Pair this with the Leth Rottinger; this wine complimented the dish and brought out the sweetness of the pork. TOO GOOD.

No dinner is complete without dessert and wine! We paired the Moelleux Au Chocolate ($12) with the Hungarian Disznoko estate 1999 Tokaji Aszú 6 Puttonyos. It was like drinking nectar and this wine is fresh and well balanced with a delicious long finish. This 1999 was the best vintage of the 90s.

The cake is not exactly a lava cake and certainly not as rich but i liked the lightness of the flour. Perfect sweet ending to the night.

What's sweeter was the bill. Our bill came up to $233.55 (heh heh) and with the Palate Card, we received a 50% discount. Say wert?! Happy bellies and happy pockets! For more information on the Palate Card, visit www.palate.sg.

I'm giving away a Basic Palate Card. Giveaway ends midnight 19 July! Check out www.facebook.com/msskinnyfat for more details!

Great Wine Good Food

Read full reviews at http://jellylovesfood.blogspot.sg

[Praelum Wine Bistro]   Exploring Tanjong Pagar area, hidden along a quiet stretch of shophouses on Duxton Hill, there was Praelum Wine Bistro. A cosy place you could totally relax in, you felt it the moment you stepped into the shop. Using outstanding red color for their walls and beautiful art pieces, Praelum indeed project a "classy" yet comfortable environment. They have their own walk-in wine cellar with more than 1000 bottles of carefully procured vino.   Greeted politely by the head of this bistro, Gerald Lu  himself, whom was also a sommelier, followed by serving us our wine and food. He even told us the history behind the wines and founder but was way too heavy for me to absorb! We tried these wines: [Wine A] White: Reichsgraf Von Kesselstatt "RK" Riesling 2014 (Mosel, Germany) [Wine B] Red: Bodegas Lealtanza Crianza 2011 (Rioja, Spain)   Although I'm not a wine person but personally I preferred the white, it was crisp and sweet.   Food that paired with our wines were delicious too. First we had:   1• Pork Parcels (S$27.00)   - Cream cheese Portobello cubes wrapped in bacon. Bacon pan fried till crisp and drizzled with tomato-basil dressing. Bacon was a little dry and tough but the creamy mushroom fillings improved the overall texture. Apple chutney on the side spiced up some additional sweet tangy flavour too. Rating 3/5     2• Tarts Flambee (S$20.00)   - A German dish that resembles pizza. It comes in a rectangular shaped thin crust, spread with fromage blanc, bacon, onions and a sunny side up in the center. Texture was very crispy and tasted lightweight, compared to our usual pizzas. Great as a snack while enjoying the wine. Rating 4/5   Lastly, we had fish. It's definitely a healthier choice for weight watchers!   3• Salmon-En-Croute (S$32.00)   -  Salmon parcel wrapped in pastry and baked till crisp. The golden brown crust was so flaky and buttery, yums! I seldom take salmon because of the fishy aftertaste but I took quite a lot this time. Reason being the herbs fillings, which made up of dill leaves, basil and zesty lemon juice, wrapped between the salmon made the whole dish really delicious. Rating 5/5     *** A cosy wine bistro to rest and relax. Although their main target was to introduce customers with better wines but the food here was quite up to standard too. Great wine paired with good food, its definitely a great spot to chill at with friends and colleagues! Occasionally, Praelum do hold private events/ classes to teach you more about wine. Feel free to contact them for more info. ***

Great dining experience

Make a reservation for dinner at Praelum Wine Bristol for my anniversary dinner.Got a text from the GM asking me if there is any special predefence on our foods. Nice thoughts.
 The wine list is fabulous and food is great. The lobster bisque, Angus steak ,pan-seared scallops ,escargots coupled with a white and red wine. We finished off with a key lime pie which is refreshing.
 Staff are attentative and services is great.

Will definitely revisit them again soon.

Praelum Wine Bistro offers fantastic value

I just came back from a wonderful experience at Praelum Wine Bistro. The complimentary bread, mains and side dishes were of a suitably high quality. The fries, mashed potatoes, SALMON and ribs were really tasty and with the entertainer app, the meal only came up to about S$15 each, including GST and service charge. This left spare change in the wallet to get alcohol. I don't usually write reviews, but I felt like Praelum really deserved one.