The Royal Mail has closed.

Review for (Closed) The Royal Mail

3.5

BeerEnglishEuropeanWestern
25 Aug 2014

Humble Bar Bites

Full review and pics on http://dairycream.blogspot.jp/2014/08/the-royal-mail-bar-british-inspired.html

The Royal Mail Bar, part of The Royal Mail Restaurant, refreshes its bar menu with new curated cocktails and bar grubs that reflect modern British sensibilities. Despite being a non-alcoholic drinker, I enjoyed the "Apple of my Eye" ($18), made with an entire crushed apple mixed with vodka, frangelico, an egg white for a frothy finish. This light and sweet martini with lovely cinnamon perfumes definitely met my eye that night

For those who prefer more intense drinks, the Old-fashioned Spice ($18) that is mischievously implanted with a burning stick of cinnamon, should fit the bill. The combination of Bourbon with honey, cloves gave it an even sweeter aftertaste than the green apple martini. As a light drinker, I was glad not being knocked out by this smoky booze.

Mention British fare and one can't miss out the Roast Prime Rib. This signature dish of the Royal Mail Restaurant is transformed into dainty cubes bites served medium rare. Though many were lavishing praises at this dish, I thought it was slightly overdone. The beef seems awkward with the two kinds of dip-spicy crab tomato and béarnaise sauce, which could mask the natural sweetness of the meat. Perhaps a simple dash of salt on the meat would enhance the taste. But I do love the spicy crab tomato sauce--so delish it can stand on its own.

The Shrimp paste Chicken drumlets ($14) could easily be mistaken as Thai-style chicken since they were served with the classic sweet-spicy dip and did not have that umami taste found in Hap Cheong Kai of zichar stall. That said, they were crunchier than those greasy Karaage (deep fried chicken) served in ramen-ya or izakayas.

Standout starters range from the garlic bread ($8) and sweet potato chips served with shallots and onion salsa ($8). They might not be the first thing that comes to your mind when you come to a bar but they unbelievably moreish--once started, can't stop.

Hardcore fans of truffled fries would not be disappointed by the Straight Cut Fries with Truffled Mayo, which seemed to surpass the former with formidable fries. They are like creamy mash potato encased in a crispy shell.

Garlic Bread

More reviews of The Royal Mail

Fine dining

Celebrated my boyfriend's birthday here and we love the food!! The highlight of our night was the Royal Mail Roast Prime Beef. The service was also awesome where the waitress actually prepared a surprise cake for us. We had chocolate fondant for desserts. Recommended place for special occasions

Terrible Experience

Here is my experience dining at The Royal Mail:
 The complimentary appetizer comes with a piece of hair. After informing them I receive no apology. Then I wait for my next piece to arrive, that only came after the main course (while I saw others being served the bread).
 Moving on to the actual food, they did not have the one vegetarian dish on the menu and then with no choice I was forced to select from the lunch menu. It is less than average and not worth the price at all, so much so I had to drown the food in tabasco. Then come the two desserts and finally the bill. We are charged extra for both the desserts, which I realize after paying. Then we wait for 15 minutes for them to correct the bill. It just so happens I check it again after the disappointing experience and guess what- they only amend the price for one dessert, still having charged extra for the other. With no patience left in me, I walked out never wanting to return.

Love the food here!

Came here during my anniversary and I tried the miso cod. It's the best miso cod I've ever tasted so far and I must say the service is excellent. The staffs are so friendly and accomodating, they know their stuff well :) Reasonable price for such quality and do try their Kurobuta pork as well. Very awesome and nice.

restaurant week review

I was here last Friday with a couple of friends for Restaurant Week. Love the ambience but food was meh.
For appetizers, I had foie gras which was a little stringy and thought it could be prepared better. A friend ordered the soft shell crab and we thought it was crispy and fragrant, very good.
For main course, I ordered risotto which were undercooked. I could taste the hard graininess in the rice, not pleasing at all.
For dessert, I had the chendol pudding. It was supposed to have gula melaka granita in it, but mine came with syrup instead. I think the icy granita melted. How long was it sitting for? The waiter came over to ask how the meal was and I told him about my dessert, but since I was finishing it, I didn't ask for a replacement.
Quite disappointed with the meal and I don't think it's worth the $55++.

Avoid. Especially on a Saturday

So by looking at the pictures, you would be thinking of a nice posh restaurant suitable for an anniversary celebration on a Saturday night. But I have never been so wrong about a restaurant.

Firstly, they only serve a SEMI BUFFET on Saturday for dinner. Why is a nice posh 'fine dinning' restaurant serving a semi buffet? and the decor of this place is probably nothing like what you're imagining now. Reluctantly, due to our hungry stomachs, we settled and stayed, and they did say the semi buffet came with 3 oysters each (to be described later on).

Back to the SEMI BUFFET. You get free flow of starters from the counter and one main with 3 oysters at $49++. I decided to walk to the starters, I see an onion soup, thats almost dried out, a tray of lyonnaise potatoes, which frankly, looked like pan fried potatoes with the onion soup drizzled all over it, with a nice 'handwritten' sign, unlike the rest of the dishes. There was a pasta salad, and some fruits and some dessert and I vaguely remember seeing a bread pudding. You know what's the first thought in my mind? This has gotta be the leftovers from BREAKFAST, because well, this is also the hotel's designated breakfast place (if i'm not wrong).

Next, the saving grace, the 3 oysters. How bad can oysters be right? When they appeared, they DO NOT look fresh. They do not even look freshly shucked and looked so dry. The worst part was that there appears to be bits of shell in it as well.

By then, we just wanted to finish the main and leave. Mains took a while to appear, approx 20 mins. During this time, there were screaming heard in the kitchen by the manager (lookalike) who was questioning the other staff if they knew what they were doing and he didn't seem to mind that there were actually customers siting here.

So the mains came, and to be fair, were of a decent standard. But by then, the impression of the place is ruined and at $49 ++ for the mains, it was definitely too pricey. Thank god I saw that this place was part of the Amex palate promotion that was displayed at the entrance and on the chequebook. BUT guess what, the discount didn't even apply. No promotions, even when asked again, a point blank no without any explanation by the clueless waiter who wasn't even sure if there was an ala carte menu for the night.

This was indeed an unforgettable anniversary experience.
ps. I even created an account for this.