Review for Salt Grill & Sky Bar

AustralianWestern
Address: #55-01 & 56-01, 2 Orchard Turn, 238801

07 Mar 2014
Overall

Good for special occasions.

See the full review with pictures here.   So we went here for our anniversary after hearing about the view and the food etc. It was a really nice place for lunch! L says the reservation site has an option to get a window seat (since this is on the 55th storey and allows you to see the whole of Singapore, basically) for $20 but we were going for lunch and thought it somewhat unnecessary. (We were right). I think if you go early enough (we were the first ones there) you’ll definitely get whichever seats you want, just that the sun shining in may make things a tad warm, but not to the point of discomfort.   They started us with some really nice freshly baked bread with olive oil and dukkah: the dukkah is Luke’s own recipe of spices and sesame seeds etc. It has a bit of a middle eastern flavour and I wasn’t real fond of it, although I hear it’s real popular with just about everybody.   L got the set which comes with a starter and a main for $45++. He opted for the Sydney glass crab omelette in a miso mustard broth – this was pretty amazing. We both liked it a lot, although it’s kind of a lot for a starter. There are tender crab chunks in the omelette and it’s topped up with enoki and chilli shreds. The broth is also pretty amazing, but you gotta like wasabi/horseradish to appreciate it.   And the pan seared sea bass with some caper/tomato dressing. Tasted extremely.. indian. It wasn’t bad but the execution is about on par with that at Gordon Grill. The fish was flaky and the skin was nicely salted and seared.   I started with the curry scallops [$34], which were amazing. Totally worth it, especially with the fried laksa leaves. I’ve never really had scallops done this way before and it works!   I also had the salt cod croquettes [$29] – part of the tapas menu – these were wee bit filling. The home made tartar sauce and lemony mayonnaise goes nicely with the croquettes.   We had the burrata salad [$14] as a side. I.. didn’t like it. So all they served was the rind of the burrata with heirloom tomatoes – what happened to the burrata heart? This was hardly creamy, pretty tough (pretty much all the burrata in here had the same texture as the outside of a ball of buffala) – I guess you get what you pay for. There is another slightly more expensive burrata dish on the menu – if you have a burrata craving you should probably try that one instead of the burrata salad with heirloom tomatoes.   The service here is impeccable, they staff are genteel, use a perfect tone when addressing the custom, and are wary of interrupting your meal unnecessarily – top marks for that. I had a lovely time dining here and while the manager welcomed feedback, they were so nice that one would feel bad giving them negative feedback. So yes, I definitely recommend this place, but one shld be careful when ordering.

More reviews of Salt Grill & Sky Bar

Afternoon Tea

I had been to this restaurant a number of times, but this was the first I was coming for afternoon tea. The Afternoon Tea Platter costs $38++ per person, inclusive of a tea or coffee, or $53++ per person including a glass of G.H Mumm Champagne. It is available from 2.30pm to 4:45pm. The coffee is non refillable, while as for tea one could ask for refillable of hot water. The afternoon tea platter consisted of Crostini, avocado, cherry tomato, olive, Ham & turkey, beetroot, manchego, tortilla, Smoked salmon, cucumber, chive, crème cheese on rye, Chocolate & jam lamington, Coffee macaroon, Tim tam chocolate tart, Red velvet cup cake, Anzac biscuit, Citrus marshmallow, and Scones. The tea set was nicely plated but I felt that it was a bit too overpriced for such little food. May I was expecting much more from this price. The Citrus marshmallow is my favourite as it had a rather zesty taste which peaked one up. The rest were not bad too. I had requested for a table by the window through online reservation, but was showed to a table by the frosted window with no view of the outside. Not sure if it was due to the fact that I was having a 3 years old boy with me at the time. We were seated far away from other customers and had difficulties getting the attention of the staff. As it was between lunch and dinner meal times, there was limited choices for a 3 years old. No children menu, so ended up ordering French fries ($11++) for him.

Lovely View, Good Steak

The views are beautiful, and yummy steak. The tempura oyster with wasabi was a standout. Service was leisurely, so allow some time.
Overall

Awesome food and awesome view.

Love the food and view here. The lamb was really tender and juicy. The kurobuta pork belly has a unique taste. Get a seat early in the evening to view the sunset and night sky. Perfect for a celebration with a loved one.
Overall

Perfect location for special occasions

We had our lunch in this wonderful place 3days ago for my partner's birthday celebration. I've made a reservation a week ahead and one of the staffs (beth) who picked up my call helped me prepare as I've pre ordered a dessert for my partner with customized "happy birthday" words on the plate. We were greeted warmly when we reached the 4th floor reception, we took the lift that was quite dark and when we reached the main area we have to wait a little before someone could attend to us and usher us to our table. As I requested, I was given a window seat with such a perfect view. The food was awesome! We ordered glass Sydney crab omelette, tart of eggplant, barramundi and steak for our mains, ordered wines and latte that goes well with our main course and dessert. I really love this place however some of the service staffs were not so cheerful and no one had bid us goodbye. But overall this is the place you should go if you are looking for a good food with a beautiful ambience.
Overall

Intrusive staff, poor food for price

Having heard good things about the Salt Grill from friends, we decided to try it for out anniversary.  Unfortunately, the view was the only good thing about the place.

We were very unhappy with the service provided by the staff.  We felt that the staff were alway interrupting us at inappropriate moments while we were deep in conversation.  On one occasion, while we were only half-way through our main course, we were interrupted by one staff member asking if we wanted our plates cleared on a Sunday evening when the restaurant was still half empty!  This was only one of the many interruptions that we had to deal with.  While the staff may have been attempting to be attentive, however being interrupted every 5 minutes with pointless questions was too intrusive and spoiled our night.

The food wasn't very good either during our visit.  For a starter, I had the trout tapas, which came with pork crackling.  While the trout was nice, the pork crackling was anemic parody of crackling as it was simply an excercise in chewing, with no flavour whatsoever.  The main courses of duck and red snapper with thai salad were also disappointing.  The fish had little flavour and more than half of it was returned to the kitchen.  The duck wasn't much better.  The only dish that was enjoyable was the Pork croquette starter.

Overall, we felt the evening was ruined by poor service and poor food that was nowhere near value for money.