Review for Salt Grill & Sky Bar

AustralianWestern
Address: #55-01 & 56-01, 2 Orchard Turn, 238801

11 May 2014

Dining at the top

Visit www.ms-skinnyfat for more reviews!

I like to dine with the world under my feet and if you do too, then scoot over to the newly refreshed Salt Grill & Sky Bar at ION Orchard which provides a magnificent landscape of the Orchard Road skyline with their full glass floor-to-ceiling windows that span two storeys high. Swanky it is, Salt grill & Sky Bar serves up some Modern Australian cuisine by celebrity chef-restaurateur Luke Mangan and is known for its one-of-a-kind experience that begins even before guests enter the restaurant. Special concierge reception, private lift, exclusive dining area... it's hard not to feel special here.   Modern Australian cuisine is an intersection of influences from cuisines around the world and i could taste that rightaway in the Amuse Bouche, Coconut broth with Sydney spice. Flavor-wise, it tasted very much like Thai Green Curry without the spice.   We then proceeded with our wine and dine event and our dishes were paired with drinks from the Award Winning New World Wine List of the Year 2013 by the World Gourmet Summit. There is also the signature range of eponymous 'Luke Mangan' wines which are produced in one of Australia’s leading wine estates - TarraWarra Estate in Yarra Valley, which Chef Mangan was personally involved in the selection of the grapes and the blending of the wines.   Spring vegetables were served with the mild goats curd, ginger bread crumbs and dried black olives ($31). These are probably sous vide to seal in the freshness of spring.   I love my eggs and the 'Glass' Sydney crab omelette ($33) totally won me over with the precious sheets of runny egg in the center, enoki mushroom and herb salad in miso mustard broth. A generous serving of sweet crab meat was wrapped in the golden parcel. This is certainly a light dish that is refreshing with a basil taste (again, this is almost Thai food).    Signature starters include the Tea smoked quail ($31), an original creation in which the bird is smoked with a combination of earl grey tea and rice, and nicely paired with almond cream, prunes, truffled grains (i believe there is quinoa), grilled shallot, sorrel. There are so many dimensions and flavors to this dish and i was slowly savoring each component. I haven't had prunes in a dish for sometime and it went well with the smokey tender quail.   For mains, we had the Sirloin Rangers Valley, New South Wales, 300 days grain fed Wagyu ($74). Moroccan spice, sauté spinach, eggplant puree, red wine sauce  Wasabi, whole grain mustard. Fantastic aubergine spiced purée. Pick your cut from the meat board before having it grilled to your preference (only medium rare for me).   Dessert was pleasantly surprising with Luke’s liquorice parfait ($18). I don't quite like licorice but i was amazed at how interesting the flavor and texture worked together especially with lime. You gotta try it for yourself.
glass omelette with crab meat, Lamb

More reviews of Salt Grill & Sky Bar

Afternoon Tea

I had been to this restaurant a number of times, but this was the first I was coming for afternoon tea. The Afternoon Tea Platter costs $38++ per person, inclusive of a tea or coffee, or $53++ per person including a glass of G.H Mumm Champagne. It is available from 2.30pm to 4:45pm. The coffee is non refillable, while as for tea one could ask for refillable of hot water. The afternoon tea platter consisted of Crostini, avocado, cherry tomato, olive, Ham & turkey, beetroot, manchego, tortilla, Smoked salmon, cucumber, chive, crème cheese on rye, Chocolate & jam lamington, Coffee macaroon, Tim tam chocolate tart, Red velvet cup cake, Anzac biscuit, Citrus marshmallow, and Scones. The tea set was nicely plated but I felt that it was a bit too overpriced for such little food. May I was expecting much more from this price. The Citrus marshmallow is my favourite as it had a rather zesty taste which peaked one up. The rest were not bad too. I had requested for a table by the window through online reservation, but was showed to a table by the frosted window with no view of the outside. Not sure if it was due to the fact that I was having a 3 years old boy with me at the time. We were seated far away from other customers and had difficulties getting the attention of the staff. As it was between lunch and dinner meal times, there was limited choices for a 3 years old. No children menu, so ended up ordering French fries ($11++) for him.

Lovely View, Good Steak

The views are beautiful, and yummy steak. The tempura oyster with wasabi was a standout. Service was leisurely, so allow some time.
Overall

Awesome food and awesome view.

Love the food and view here. The lamb was really tender and juicy. The kurobuta pork belly has a unique taste. Get a seat early in the evening to view the sunset and night sky. Perfect for a celebration with a loved one.
Overall

Perfect location for special occasions

We had our lunch in this wonderful place 3days ago for my partner's birthday celebration. I've made a reservation a week ahead and one of the staffs (beth) who picked up my call helped me prepare as I've pre ordered a dessert for my partner with customized "happy birthday" words on the plate. We were greeted warmly when we reached the 4th floor reception, we took the lift that was quite dark and when we reached the main area we have to wait a little before someone could attend to us and usher us to our table. As I requested, I was given a window seat with such a perfect view. The food was awesome! We ordered glass Sydney crab omelette, tart of eggplant, barramundi and steak for our mains, ordered wines and latte that goes well with our main course and dessert. I really love this place however some of the service staffs were not so cheerful and no one had bid us goodbye. But overall this is the place you should go if you are looking for a good food with a beautiful ambience.
Overall

Intrusive staff, poor food for price

Having heard good things about the Salt Grill from friends, we decided to try it for out anniversary.  Unfortunately, the view was the only good thing about the place.

We were very unhappy with the service provided by the staff.  We felt that the staff were alway interrupting us at inappropriate moments while we were deep in conversation.  On one occasion, while we were only half-way through our main course, we were interrupted by one staff member asking if we wanted our plates cleared on a Sunday evening when the restaurant was still half empty!  This was only one of the many interruptions that we had to deal with.  While the staff may have been attempting to be attentive, however being interrupted every 5 minutes with pointless questions was too intrusive and spoiled our night.

The food wasn't very good either during our visit.  For a starter, I had the trout tapas, which came with pork crackling.  While the trout was nice, the pork crackling was anemic parody of crackling as it was simply an excercise in chewing, with no flavour whatsoever.  The main courses of duck and red snapper with thai salad were also disappointing.  The fish had little flavour and more than half of it was returned to the kitchen.  The duck wasn't much better.  The only dish that was enjoyable was the Pork croquette starter.

Overall, we felt the evening was ruined by poor service and poor food that was nowhere near value for money.