Seah Soon Teck Teochew Porridge has closed.

Reviews for (Closed) Seah Soon Teck Teochew Porridge

Address: 283 Changi Road, 419762
09 Apr 2012

Loving Pig Trotter Jelly

When I was young, I never know how to appreciate Teochew Porridge. I see them as bland and too healthy for me. However, I started to appreciate this traditional cuisine when I was having it for lunch with my Grandpa one day. We aren't Teochew, but we enjoyed pairing a hot bowl of porridge with some dishes especially on a rainy day.

Sadly, traditional Teochew food is quickly disappearing from our hawker food scene. Many have passed to the younger generation with deteriorating standards of food, and some have closed down.

Thankfully, I've discovered a great Taiwanese porridge joint at Changi Road that we can now go for lunch, dinner and supper. Seah Soon Teck Teochew Porridge is not a stranger to many teochew porridge fans. They used to be located in Joo Chiat, Marine Parade, Toh Guan etc. But because of rental issues, they are forced to relocate.

The enjoyment of Teochew porridge comes from gulping down the hot porridge after you have taken a mouthful of the often salty dishes. In keeping with the Teochew style of cooking, the ingredients used were fresh, lightly seasoned but tasty enough.

We seldom see stalls selling traditional Teochew Pig Trotter Jelly ($5 and above), because it requires long time and hard work. The trotter must first be marinated, stewed and left in the fridge to cool, hence requiring long hours. However, when the pork trotter is done correctly, it will be meltingly delicious.

Seah Soon Teck serves excellent pork trotter jelly. The texture is excellent and the jelly is so clear you can see through it easily. Dip it into their own sour and spicy sauce and you tastebud will definitely be tingled by this dish.

The stall also serves Shark Jelly ($5 and above) which is specially prepared to get rid of the fishy smell. This dish is served chilled with their home recipe of sesame and peanut sauce.

Handmade meatball ($1 each) is a must have for Teochew porridge. The meatballs here are made fresh daily with ingredients such as pork, prawn, fish. A bit unusual because I was expecting pork ball or fish ball and not a combination. But the meatball was crunchy and I love the texture!

Braised Duck ($3 and above) is neatly sliced, well braised with a nice bite favoured by traditionalists. The sauce has a strong spice flavour and the meat is not too dry.

Most of the dishes are quite good so you will be able to quell that craving for Teochew Muay. Each general meat is $2 and above, while each general vegetable is $1 and above. Seah Soon Teck Teochew Porridge is having an opening promotion. For purchase of $20 & above, you will receive 1 stamp Collect 3 stamps and you will receive $5 cash on e spot.

Read more here.

Homemade Fish Cake, Pig Trotter Jelly

More reviews of Seah Soon Teck Teochew Porridge

Teochew Porridge that serves Pig Trotter/ Shark Meat Jelly

For Teochew porridge lover, Seah Soon Teck Teochew Porridge has moved from the West in Toh Guan to the East at Changi Road near Eunos.

Seah Soon Teck Teochew Porridge only opened recently at the new location along Changi Road since 1 March 2012. Their grand opening will be on 4 April 2012. For their opening promotion, they are giving $5 cash on the spot for every 3 stamps collected. Receive 1 stamp for every purchase of $20 & above.

Seah Soon Teck Teochew Porridge has been featured in several media and they are known for their Pig Trotter Aspic and Shark Meat Aspic. I have not known of Teochew porridge eatery selling these and I thought they are only available at restaurants.

I have only tried Pig Trotter Aspic or commonly known as Pig Trotter Jelly once and I don't enjoy it. However, the Pig Trotter Aspic ($5 and above) at Seah Soon Teck Teochew Porridge is vastly differently, refreshing and melts in the mouth. Unfortunately the Shark Meat Aspic was not available. The boss said that the Shark Meat today was not suitable to make the aspic and they rejected it. It shows how much the eatery insists on using the freshest ingredients.

The intense dark colour of the Braised Pork Intestines ($4 and above) indicates long hours of simmering, was tender and flavourful. Unfortunately it was a bit gamy. If not it would be an excellent dish.

The Stewed Cabbage ($1 and above) is my favourite vegetable whenever I have my porridge. I enjoyed the natural sweetness of the cabbage with the soft texture.

I was rather impressed with the Steamed Sotong ($3 to $5) which was very fresh. It was cooked to my likings neither too tough or mush, still having a crunchy texture.

You can have fresh Steamed Promfret ($5 and above) at the eatery. The Black Fish ($15 to $18) is also available but very limited stock. You can also request for your fish to be steamed on the spot upon ordering with an additional $3.

The Homemade Fish Cake ($1 each) is a must try here. It has a very unique combination with pork being added. The texture was also very delightful with each bite into it.

The Braised Duck Meat ($3 and above) was well simmered until it was fall of the bone tender meat. Another delightful dish offered at Seah Soon Teck Teochew Porridge.

The newly opened Teochew porridge is looking at introducing more seafood to the menu such as crab, lobster and crayfish 20% below market pricing in the near future. There are also plan to convert a section of the area into a beer garden.

Visit for photos

teochew porridge for the late night suppers

For photos and more reviews, visit us at!

Newly opened this year and located at the intersection of Kg Eunos and Changi Road is Seah Soon Teck Teochew Porridge.

At first glance, we spotted the usual side dishes of Teochew Porridge including:

Teochew Braised Duck

Handmade Meat Ball

Steamed Sotong

Mei Cai (Preserved Radish Leaves)

Braised Peanuts

Braised Pig Intestines

Steamed Fish

Not displayed in the counter are also 2 of Seah Soon Teck’s specialties – Pig Trotter Jelly 猪脚冻 and Shark Meat Jelly 鲨鱼冻. Besides Teochew Porridge, Seah Soon Teck offers a huge spread of economical rice dishes as well, catering to both the Teochew Porridge fanatics and the general public.

The Pig Trotter Jelly 猪脚冻 is a labour-intensive traditional Teochew dish which requires hours of preparation. We were expecting a more chewy and harder gelatinous like texture, similar to the ones which we tried before at other Teochew restaurants. However, Seah Soon Teck’s version was vastly different. The Pig Trotter Jelly 猪脚冻 essentially disintegrated and melted in our mouths within seconds. The meat was thinly sliced such that it lost the meat tenderness. We did not have to chew on the jelly and they melted in the mouth. The Pig Trotter Jelly 猪脚冻 was accompanied by their homemade chili sauce which was sufficiently spicy.

Compared to the Pig Trotter Jelly 猪脚冻, the Shark Meat Jelly 鲨鱼冻 is more rare and not commonly found in recent years. For those who have not tried shark meat before, the texture of shark meat is essentially intermediate between chicken and fish meat. While it was not as soft and silky as fish meat, it wasn’t as tough and chewy compared to chicken meat. Compared to the Pig Trotter Jelly 猪脚冻, the Shark Meat Jelly 鲨鱼冻 had more bite and chew to it. For non-fish lovers with a sensitive palate, the shark meat, though slightly bland did exude a slight fishy taste. This could however, be covered up by the accompanying sesame and peanut plum sauce.

The handmade meatballs are made freshly daily, using pork, prawns and fish. The meatballs weren’t overly seasoned and retained the original flavours of the pork and fish. They weren’t too starchy, you could chew onto the bits of fish and pork meat. Another dish we enjoyed was the braised duck. The meat had adequately absorbed the essence of the sauce, yet not being too salty. We did feel that the duck meat could be a little more tender and less rubbery.

Some parts of the steamed pomfet, especially the area not in contact with the gravy, wasn’t all too soft and tender, probably due to the fish being presteamed and then reheated upon serving. However, for a better experience, one could request for a fresh uncooked pomfet to be steamed on the spot with a small additional fee. The gravy was a little on the salty side probably due to the sour plums and preserved vegetables. However, it was good that there was no fishiness to this dish.

Other dishes we tried included the cai buey, tau kee, chai poh omelette. We particularly liked the braised peanuts and hae bee hiam. The braised peanuts were well flavoured and very fragrant. The hae been hiam was spicy but not overly salty. The crunchy dried shrimps added much flavour to the porridge.

*Note: This is an invited session by the generous owners.

Came across their facebook page recently, the main reason why I went down to try out this stall is mainly because they got 2 signature dishes which really puzzle me.

"Pig Trotter Jelly" and "Shark Meat Jelly"

JELLIES??? Pardon for my ignorance and the lack of food knowledge. But throughout my years of growing up, I only know about fruit jellies that I used to buy for 10 cents each? Its only after further googling than I learnt of something new. Let me explain what are these jellies before going to rate their food.

Pig Trotter Jelly a.k.a Pig Trotter Aspic. Shark Meat Jelly a.k.a Shark Meat Aspic.

According to wisegeek, Aspic is explained as; "a savory jelly made from meat stock and sometimes supplemented with gelatin to ensure that it sets. The food has a long culinary history, and appears in the form of molded dishes, as a garnish, and as a glaze on some foods. It is also notoriously challenging and sometimes smelly to work with, leading some cooks to avoid it, if possible. Aspic is closely associated with traditional French cuisine and formal dining, and enjoyed an explosion of popularity in the mid twentieth century."

Traditional French cuisine??? Teochew Porridge??? Now this is getting me confused. But nevertherless, this is interesting enough to make me go down to try out.

Below are the ratings:

Total Pax: 3 males

Total Cost: $26

Total Dishes: 7

Pig Trotter Aspic and Shark Meat Aspic 3/5

I am amazed by both their aspic. I was expecting something that is stinking with the cold pork oil or the fishy smell from the shark meat. As this is my first time trying out these dishes, there is no where I can compare them with. Overall, the aspic blends well with the sauce and it is really refreshing.

Steam Promfret 3/5

The fish is fresh enough, though a little over cooked, the taste of the sauce fits me just nice. Not too salty and refreshing.

Duck Meat 5/5

As described in their FB page, the meat is really tender. The taste of the duck is also flavorful. Usually I only get to eat flavorful but dry braised duck or tender but tasteless braised duck. Their braised duck is really good and if I were to pick my favourite dish for the night, this is definitely my choice.

Peanuts and Tau-Kee 3/5

Ok, I am lost to rate these 2 dishes. I have been eating they for years, they all taste the same to me. If really were to comment, Tau-kee is a little dry.

Stir Fried Cabbage 4/5

You can find them any where at any coffeeshop. But Seah Soon Teochew Porridge cabbage looks appetizing enough, the bite and taste of it is also quite good. Personally I hate vegetables, especially vegetables that are over cooked or "uncooked by being too hard or strong veg smell"

As for the ambience and service, dont expect top notch service like you are in a restaurant. The staffs are all very friendly and efficient. Ambience wise, its quite laid back over there and most of the seatings are alfresco seatings. Can see there are quite afew tables chilling out over there after a meal of porridge.

Overall, I will be visiting them again soon to try out the rest of the dishes. The braised pig trotter and sotong looks good too!!