06 Jan 2013 • 15 reviews • 0 follower
This is not my first time at Soup Restaurant (although it's the first time at Vivo branch).
Unfortunately, it will also be the last.
To keep the long story short, towards the end of our meal, I found a 2cm long maggot on my plate. I'm not too which dish it came from. We ordered the 2 pax set, so it could be either the chicken, kailan, tofu or the ginger sauce.
Upon showing it to the server, she offered to change a new plate of chicken. But why would anyone continue eating?? I asked for the bill to be waived and she tried to push the responsibility to the supplier of the ginger sauce.
While she checks further with her manager on the phone, her colleague tried to play the sympathy card and said if I don't pay, the servers will have to foot the bill themselves.
I've called NEA and lodged an official report. Hopefully no other patrons end up with food poisoning