Summary

garlic buttered prawns pancakes, Chocolate Pancakes, Pancakes with scrambled eggs and bacon, The Druggie, blackforest, Beef Me Up, Berry Berry Fantastic, Berry pancakes., pancakes straight up, potato leeking cheese, sausage n bacon, sunny porker View all
Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Vibrant/Noisy, Chillout, Large Groups/Gathering, Children/Family, After Work, Quiet, Girls Night Out, High Tea, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Boys Night Out, Hidden Find, Romance/First Dates, Birthdays, Supper View all

All-day pancake café

Check out my blog at petitconnoisseur.blogspot.com for pictures and more reviews!

I love pancakes. Naturally, I was very excited when I learnt of Strictly Pancakes (SP), Singapore’s first dedicated pancake café! Located at 44A Prinsep Street, SP is open from morning till night so customers can have their pancake fix anytime during the day.

In addition to the traditional butter-and-maple-syrup combination, SP also offers six sweet and six savory options, ranging from Chicken A La King (chicken chunks, sweet onion slices, cream sauce and asparagus) to Strawberries & Co (mixed berries, vanilla ice cream, strawberry coulis and cream). I had set my eyes on the Black Forest Pancakes ($12+) (Chocolate pancakes topped with brandied cherries, a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, chocolate shavings, homemade chocolate sauce and cream) while browsing through their online menu, which was coincidentally recommended by the staff.

These were supposed to come with three chocolate pancakes but I accidentally served plain ones instead. While I didn’t get receive any reimbursement for the error (chocolate pancakes cost $1 more than plain ones on the a la carte menu), I was not charged for the rum and raisin butter (U.P. $0.50) which I had requested to try.

The pancakes were decently soft, and were in fact very much like a slightly thicker version of Mac’s hotcakes. While I enjoyed the combination of cold vanilla ice cream with warm pancakes, I might think twice about ordering the dessert pancakes here again as I found the Black Forest pancakes too sweet for my liking. Those with a sweet tooth will probably enjoy this though.

The Iced Blended Mocha ($5+) was decent- light, frothy and not too sweet. However, it was a tad icy.

Cedele’s superbly soft pancakes still remain as my favorite pancakes attempted thus far. However, having heard positive reviews about SP’s savory choices and milkshakes, I will not rule out the possibility of a re-visit if I happen to be around the area. Oh, and students (like me) get 10% off the bill!

Most helpful reviews for Strictly Pancakes (Prinsep Street)

just so

DO NOT have the chocolate pancakes. They taste like cheap chocolate, the plastic kind they pass off on you during Chinese New Year when you're seven and haven't developed tastebuds. Otherwise, average.

Fluffy pancakes and a good sized breakfast

interesting pancakes!

for photos and more reviews, visit http://littlemomentsofmylife.wordpress.com/ :)

well, with a name like that, you can bet this place is serious about their pancakes :) and it's really interesting how they have savoury pancakes! it was definitely a must-try when i came to this cute restaurant. the space downstairs is pretty small, so we sat upstairs, which is a really cute cosy place! :)

i love having CHOICE. haha as in, i like having lots of options for my food. so fun! :D sooo, i thought it was really nice to get to personalize my pancakes at this restaurant! first, chose the number of pancakes (short stack of 2 pancakes $5.50, medium stack 3 pancakes $7, larges stack 4 pancakes $8.50), chose your favourite type of butter to accompany it (salted, unsalted, garlic+herb, rum+rasin) and for $2.50 each, you can get sides like the bacon and sauteed mushrooms which i did :) the pancakes were not the best i've eaten, but they were still pretty good. i loved the sauteed mushrooms, which were beautifully seasoned with garlic and herbs. i also tried the rum+raisin butter! it was pretty interesting, but probably not the best choice since it was sweet, and didn't go that well with my savoury pancake.

besides the personalised pancakes, you can also get ready-made pancakes like my sweet pancake - apples and cinnamon ($10). the caramelized apples were baked till they were soft, yet still has a slight crunch which made for an interesting combination of textures. served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (ooh how nice it is so mop up the ice cream with a slice of pancake! :D) and a dash of cinnamon which lent a delicious flavour to the pancake, this was a delight! :)

The worst dining experience ever!

My visit at Strictly Pancakes was most definitely the worst dining experience ever. I went there with a couple of friends on opening day, eagerly anticipating an awesome lunch with pancakes.

It was quite packed as expected, with most of the tables full. When we were ready to order, we took close to 10 mins to get the attention of the staff just to take our orders. My first visit, not a good impression. But it was the restaurant's opening day, so we just shrugged it off as inexperience.

But what came next was entirely unexpected, and even more appalling. We were left waiting for ALMOST 3 HRS for the food. And in the end, the food still didn't come even after repeatedly asking the waitress about our orders. I shall say it again, 3 LONG HOURS! Only the drinks came and by the time we decided enough was enough, it was all diluted in melting ice. Really bad experience. Even worse, the staff all seemed totally oblivious to our plight.

When we stormed down to inform the staff that we just couldn't wait any longer and wanted to see the management, one male waiter still had the cheek to say, "Sorry, the owner can't see you now as she's busy making pancakes." What kind of service is this? Is your customer less important than making pancakes? Is she the only cook there?

He then proceeded to hand us 20%-off vouchers in an attempt to make up for our terrible experience. But we saw that he also gave them out to the other ppl who had just arrived at the restaurant but told that they had run out of pancakes. Someone even quipped, "A Pancake place running out of pancakes"

We waited for 3 hours, and all that we got was 20% vouchers that was also given out to the other people who had just arrived at the restaurant. Simply unfair treatment, and we felt really ignored. Not even a hint of courtesy by the management to come out to apologize to us in person. A start-up restaurant with an enormous ego!

Honestly, I could have been the biggest fan of this place as I really love pancakes. I COULD HAVE been complimenting the restaurant and giving rave reviews and recommendations to all my friends. But I just can't lie to my friends and myself. The only thing I can do is to warn them about the sad truth about my dining experience at this place, and also warn everyone else who intends to patronise this place.

I admire the courage of these young entrepreneurs to set up this restaurant. But one thing I cannot ignore is their supreme lack of regard for customers and their welfare. Customers make or break a business, and the management couldn't even bother to come out and apologize for the mess that they've inflicted on us in person. A problem with attitude? To us, most definitely.

Overall, i really wanted to give a negative rating, and fortunately, I can't too. But I'm gonna give this a lowly 1. Fully deserving of this rating as there's much to be improved. I don't know whether my friends and I are every going to patronise the place again. Definitely not in the near future. But for the sake of everyone else, Strictly Pancakes, please do something about this.

Savoury and sweet pancakes with unique butter flavours!

Really enjoyed the savoury pancakes - garlic buttered prawns and sunny porker. Was too full to try the sweet ones but definitely will return for them :)

Coffee was really disappointing but staff were very kind to replace with another drink FOC. Staff were also asking for feedback on food as well. Kudos for excellent service!

Read detailed review at gastronomy.sg!