Cheap Eat/Budget4 votes
Take Away3 votes

Sihan Lee
 • 26 Oct 2012 214 reviews 40 followers
Overall
Fresh from the cool down under, I was transported to a land of nightmarish heat waves and a condoning sun. Stumbling like a nomad in a desert along Joo Chiat Road, I made my first stop at Sugalight, thankful for the cool gust of air conditioned air as I stepped into the shop.After a few tastings, a servive offered generously by the staff on site. I chose the strawberry cheesecake flavor.So I have to admit, the flavors weren't outstanding in any way but with such a brilliant marketing strategy to boot, it was no wonder business was picking up. Sugar free ice cream due to the use of natural sweeteners like xylitol and maltito, perfect for diabetics looking for a treat. The egg free nature of the ice cream probably explains for the icy texture throughout the dessert. But trust me, you probably could let it go if you were on a strict diet and craving for a lick of something cold and sweet.

joeyz
 • 17 Jul 2012 23 reviews 1 follower
Overall
Heard so much of this Sugalight low calories ice cream (recommended for diabetics) and finally managed to get a taste of it after my 1st failed attempt.

Hub happened to be around Joo Chiat area hence decided to purchase 2 pint (vanilla macadamia & choco mint) back for me to try it out. In my honest opinion, both flavour were lousy especially the vanilla macadamia which I could barely taste any vanilla. You need to eat it with full concentrate in order to taste a mild flavour of vanilla. This is a total failure in attempt to made vanailla macadamia in my own opinion. Choco Mint was sooo minty that you could not taste much chocolate at all.

Hmmm...honestly, if one hv diabetics and was sooo wanting to hv an ice cream, my advice is to made your own thn to get this for bigger disappointment. I guess it is good that it is 1/3 of the calories thn normal ice cream, but 1/8 of the taste thn normal ice cream too.

They are not usual fresh ingredient for flavouring and from what i knw, all or most are using ice cream syrup extract. Way too overpriced. 1 pint cost $11.50. I rather eat 1/3 of premium ice cream instead of eating inferior ice cream just because to save on calories.

Certainly not recommended

Jaycee 919
 • 14 Jul 2012 1 review 0 follower
Overall
Hearing about a new outlet selling sugar-free ice cream is a dream come true for all ladies. Hence, I pounced on the chance of visiting this store about 1 month ago.

The place is pretty tiny (common for ice cream outlets) and there are seating areas for customers. Not bad.

As usual, I asked for samples to try on. I can't remember which ice cream I ended up with, but I remember trying about 6 or 7 times to find that "Right" ice cream that I want to reward my tastebuds with. I am not that cheapo for free ice cream, just that as a non-diabetic, the ice cream just wasn't that good enough as compared to regular ones. It did not taste bad, however, it just wasn't good enough.

The lady was kind enough to "entertain" me with the samples and still managed to give me a smile after each sample. Bought a cup in the end because I felt bad for tasting so much yet not buying, and not because the ice cream was great.

Despite this, I would definitely recommend it for diabetics if they suddenly crave for ice cream. This is probably the one of the best substitutes.

Supper, Cheap Eat/Budget, Healthy Eating, Take Away, Chillout, Quiet