Reviews for Swissbake (Marina Bay Link Mall)

3.5

EuropeanSwiss

Great soup and salad - my favorite lunch spot

I am back at yet another SwissBake outlet for healthy, delicious food and drinks, as well as quiet ambience and friendly service. This time round, I visited the branch at Marina Bay Link Mall

The Cream of Mushroom Soup (SGD$7.90) Is thick, rich and velvety, with lots of mushroom dices within the aromatic soup. Croutons added crispy bites to the soup, and it is awesome paired with wholemeal bread served on the side. This alone serves as a substantial meal.

I also love their mini pastries at SGD$1.50 each - such as flakey butter Croissants with a fluffy interior, or the Cherry Rollover with a crispy exterior and tarty cherries within.

The Beef Pastrami Salad (SGD$8.50) is another of my latest favorites from them. This sumptuous salad with lots of ingredients - succulent beef pastrami strips, slices of hard-boiled eggs, olives, lettuce, pickles, tomato etc, made for a healthy treat. Every bite was fresh and satisfying, and the beef was lightly salted to add flavour to the sweet vegetables.

For full review and more detailed information, please feel free to drop by here:
• 10 Jun 2015 • 472 reviews • 7 followers

Great soup and salad - my favorite lunch spot

• Cream of Mushroom Soup
• 13 Oct 2012 • 1 review • 0 follower

Did they forget to put the ham and cheese in the ham and cheese croissants?

Overall
Ordered my ham and cheese croissant only to discover that the slice of ham was not only super thin, there was just one slice.  Same goes for the cheese and the cheese square was a lot smaller than the actual croissant.  So disappointed, might as well have ordered a plain one.Also, the amount of packaging they use for take away service is ridiculous. How much could they save by using half the amount of paper bags for take away? Hmmm
• 14 Mar 2012 • 408 reviews • 12 followers

Fasnacht

Overall
When it comes to bakery chains, my experience with Swissbake has been good, unlike the other one which has disappointed me a couple of times already. Moreover, a selection of baked items are available in some supermarkets, which makes it very convenient to pick up a pie or loaf of bread along with groceries.

Though I’ve tried the baked items on many occasions, it’s my first time having the sandwiches.

The term “flip sandwich” baffled me but it didn’t require a Ph.D to assemble one. We just needed to choose a bread, filling and sauce. It’s a little disappointing that only kraftkorn bread was available for our dinner though.

My beef pastrami (kraftkorn bread, gherkin, tomato, lettuce, mustard $7.50) was hearty and delicious.

K’s tuna & salmon (kraftkorn bread, hard-boiled egg, tomato, lettuce, mayonnaise $7.50) was a tad dry due to lack of sauce but was tasty nonetheless.

Admittedly, the sandwiches were merely a prelude to what I came here for, but we were glad they turned out satisfactory. The purpose of the visit was actually to curb my curiosity about fasnacht pastries.

Traditionally served on Fasnacht Day (the day before Lent starts), these pastries are made as a way to empty the pantry of lard, sugar, fat, and butter.

Fasnacht also refers to a carnival that dates back to the 15th century and celebrated every February in Switzerland.

Facts aside, the pastries were pretty moreish (especially when eaten warm) and it seemed my curiosity had served me well in this case.

The schenkeli ($1.50) was the sort of pastries that would fare better with a drink. The “little thighs” (translated from the German) were made of flour, powdered sugar, eggs, butter and almonds, and the dough was then deep-fried.

Our favorite was the zigerkrapfen ($1.95), which was another deep-fried pastry filled with cheese, almonds and raisins. Lightly dusted with cinnamon sugar, it’s very flaky with a nice crisp.

As for the berliner pfannkuchen ($1.70), it’s essentially a traditional doughnut filled with raspberry jam. It’s pillowy-soft and fluffy, and the filling wasn’t too sweet.

We thoroughly enjoyed the food and service was brisk and polite. As the day drew to a close, most customers who popped in were after the take-away promotion, while we were the only diners.

Note: Prices are nett.