Back to Swissbake#B2-47, Marina Bay Link Mall, 8A Marina Boulevard

Jujubastar
 • 13 Oct 2012 1 review 0 follower
Overall
Ordered my ham and cheese croissant only to discover that the slice of ham was not only super thin, there was just one slice.  Same goes for the cheese and the cheese square was a lot smaller than the actual croissant.  So disappointed, might as well have ordered a plain one.Also, the amount of packaging they use for take away service is ridiculous. How much could they save by using half the amount of paper bags for take away? Hmmm

A
 • 14 Mar 2012 408 reviews 11 followers
Overall
When it comes to bakery chains, my experience with Swissbake has been good, unlike the other one which has disappointed me a couple of times already. Moreover, a selection of baked items are available in some supermarkets, which makes it very convenient to pick up a pie or loaf of bread along with groceries.

Though I’ve tried the baked items on many occasions, it’s my first time having the sandwiches.

The term “flip sandwich” baffled me but it didn’t require a Ph.D to assemble one. We just needed to choose a bread, filling and sauce. It’s a little disappointing that only kraftkorn bread was available for our dinner though.

My beef pastrami (kraftkorn bread, gherkin, tomato, lettuce, mustard $7.50) was hearty and delicious.

K’s tuna & salmon (kraftkorn bread, hard-boiled egg, tomato, lettuce, mayonnaise $7.50) was a tad dry due to lack of sauce but was tasty nonetheless.

Admittedly, the sandwiches were merely a prelude to what I came here for, but we were glad they turned out satisfactory. The purpose of the visit was actually to curb my curiosity about fasnacht pastries.

Traditionally served on Fasnacht Day (the day before Lent starts), these pastries are made as a way to empty the pantry of lard, sugar, fat, and butter.

Fasnacht also refers to a carnival that dates back to the 15th century and celebrated every February in Switzerland.

Facts aside, the pastries were pretty moreish (especially when eaten warm) and it seemed my curiosity had served me well in this case.

The schenkeli ($1.50) was the sort of pastries that would fare better with a drink. The “little thighs” (translated from the German) were made of flour, powdered sugar, eggs, butter and almonds, and the dough was then deep-fried.

Our favorite was the zigerkrapfen ($1.95), which was another deep-fried pastry filled with cheese, almonds and raisins. Lightly dusted with cinnamon sugar, it’s very flaky with a nice crisp.

As for the berliner pfannkuchen ($1.70), it’s essentially a traditional doughnut filled with raspberry jam. It’s pillowy-soft and fluffy, and the filling wasn’t too sweet.

We thoroughly enjoyed the food and service was brisk and polite. As the day drew to a close, most customers who popped in were after the take-away promotion, while we were the only diners.

Note: Prices are nett.

Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Take Away, Children/Family, After Work, Chillout, Quiet, High Tea, Breakfast