48 hrs short ribs w mandeira sauce12 votes

Relaxed3 votes

ms-skinnyfat
 • 07 Dec 2012 226 reviews 44 followers
Overall
Full reviews and pictures are up on my blog at www.ms-skinnyfat.com

What's great here is their high quality degustation set menu which allows for a million permutation of choices. The menu reminds me of Dozo, which does a Japanese version. I think they are by the same group, they even have similar dishes. Anyway it's cheaper at Dozo if you fancy Japanese food.

Lunch is a 5 course affair while dinner is 6 courses. With about 4-6 choices for each course, it is without a doubt that we took forever to decide what to have because everything sounded so good.

Our chef starter: The first is a Foie Gras Chawanmushi. While it tastes a little like the Chickadee snack (or chicken flavored twistees) instead of foie gras, it has to be the smoothest and silkiest steamed egg that i've had. The pan-seared scallop was sweet and bouncy. The last was a refreshing citrusy new styled salmon sashimi.

Next is the Cold Dish (for dinner only). The Alaskan king crab with homemade karashi dressing was fresh and succulent.

Beef carpaccio, truffle mustard salad in truffle teriyaki & horseradish sauce. Again, i compare this with the beautiful carpaccio cone at Dozo. This kind of pales in comparison due to the amount of beef. While it was tasty, i thought my meat was drowning in the truffle teriyaki sauce. I would have loved a bit more of the European flavor to it. Maybe i'll do the deep fried foie gras the next time.

Side Dish
Kurobuta pork belly confit w pork cracker & passion fruit sauce was stellar even though i could not bring myself to eat all that soft and melty fats. The meat was tender but there's another pork dish that would blow your mind away. Read on..

Soup
My skinnyfat twin and i both had the Crab bisque cappuccino with truffle foam & prawn twister. This is kinda like a cold soup (more like room temperature). The prawn twister is exactly like a non-spicy hae bee hiam snack that we have during Chinese New Year. The soup is fragrant and the texture is like a smoothie. My only qualms is that it's a little sweet for a soup.

Mains

The Kurobuta pork jowl in pistachio puree with pickled zucchini & 64 degree egg yolk is absolutely sublime. Crispy on the outside, it breaks apart easily with a fork. The graininess of the nut complements the buttery meat very well. It is best that you coat each bite with the smooth yolk before devouring it.

The 48 hours Beef short ribs on Hoba Leaf with Lava Stone is also a crowd pleaser. The meat is absolutely tender and i love the aroma of the Hoba Leaf and how it infused into the meat. No sauce required at all. Take the meat off the leaf if you don't want the stone to continue cooking it.

So the damage was only $62.80++ for a 6 course dinner. Now, that is simply fantastic. Great place for a slightly more indulgent regular dinner. It's a bosses' favorite too, evident by the number of towkays dining at The Clan that night. Now knock yourself out.

Must tries: Kurobuta pork belly confit with pork cracker & passion fruit sauce, 48 hrs short ribs w mandeira sauce, Kurobuta pork jowl

hoggngulp
 • 22 Nov 2012 1 review 0 follower
Overall
I had a wonderful friday evening at The Clan with my husband. For details on my experience at the place, visit my blog:

Must tries: Barracuda

Anniversary, Birthdays

Management

Dear Hoggngulp, Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that your dinner date went well; we will be updating our menu regularly so do check back for more new dishes at The Clan.

17 December 2012

Chen Xinda
 • 21 Nov 2012 1 review 0 follower
Overall
The 5-course lunch had a consistent delivery of carefully crafted dishes, some with imaginative and intricate presentations that were considered works of art.
Highlights of the meal include:
Starter - Foie Gras Chawanmushi with Dehydrated Mushroom
Eaten second of a three-part starter, we found this to be very smooth with well-balanced hints of foie gras and mushroom.
Main - 48 Hours Short Ribs with Madeira Sauce
Elaborate presentation with a stone grill on a bed of rocks. The short ribs were very tender and with the control over the grill handed to the diner, one can decide to have varying degrees of rare to well done short ribs.
Main - 48° Poached Salmon with Japanese Broth, Dehydrated Wakame & Leek Confit
The salmon is prepared with such finesse, that it slowly melts in the mouth. The broth was subtle and complemented the salmon well enough.
The restaurant is situated in a charming district of restored shophouses, which lends to the overall experience as we were fortunately seated by a glass door with views to the shophouses opposite. The ambience in the restaurant was pleasant and relatively quiet as we were there slightly after 1pm.
We'd like to thank Raymond and his crew who attended to us and ensured that everything was upheld to their highest standards. We'll definitely come back for special occasions and most importantly, our next anniversary!

Anniversary, Fine Dining, Lunch

Management

Hi! Thank you for taking time out to write such a detailed, glowing review. We aim to provide the best for our diners, in both service and food, and are glad to hear that we met your expectations on both aspects. Do return to try our other dishes, we look forward to serving you again then.

17 December 2012