48 hrs short ribs w mandeira sauce12 votes

Relaxed3 votes

Amanda He
 • 21 Jun 2014 3 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Now I don't usually write reviews, so just the fact that I'm writing this now says a lot about my experience here at The Clan!

I came here for my bf's birthday in April. Everything about the experience was wonderful. The service staff was amiable and made us feel special (thanks Eric!); the ambience was pretty romantic, although my ONLY grouse about the entire experience was it was too dark to take nice photos :(

The food was really scrumptious and worth every cent. Every dish was a hit (we really couldn't decide on our favourite because it was all that good), so I think the chef should give himself a pat on the back for the consistency in quality! Here are the dishes I recommend:

Cold dish: Beef Carpaccio w Truffle Teriyaki & Horseradish Sauce (the beef was tender and fresh, while the marinade was bursting with flavour)

Side dish: Kurobuta Pork Belly Confit w Pork Cracker & Passion Fruit Sauce (I normally avoid pork belly because it's too fatty for me - but I believe this is good enough to convert me!)

Soup: Ginseng Chicken Consommé (the taste of the ginseng really shone through, yum! Spot on!)

Main: Prime Beef Short Ribs on Hoba Leaf w Peppercorn Sauce on Lava Stone (now I said we couldn't pick a favourite, but if I really had to choose one, this would be it! What stood out was the experience of it - put on your chef's hat as you get to cook the beef yourself on the lava stone! Of course, the marinade/leaf added an interesting dimension to the flavour of the beef too)

Dessert: I liked my "Chocolate Lava w Homemade Gelato" (it oozed like lava, and was really melt-in-your-mouth) while he loved his "Triple Espresso Crème Brûlée".

We had a complimentary cake too - thanks for the effort you guys make in making our experience a special one!

In all, our overall experience at The Clan was perfect and it suffices to show why they have such great reviews from all their customers.

Must tries: 48 hrs short ribs w mandeira sauce, Beef Carpaccio with truffle, Kurobuta pork belly confit with pork cracker & passion fruit sauce

Anniversary, Birthdays

Orangepoppyseed
 • 30 Jan 2014 3 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Very similar to Dozo - menu, the way you select one dish from a few offered for appetizer, main, etc, for the set dinner, even the presentation and the way the waiters are supposed to introduce the dishes..... a copy of how Dozo was run. I tried these - King crab salad, crab bisque, lamb shank, creme brulee, etc. Out of these the lamb was worth mentioning - soft flesh and well cooked. The rest were ok. The crab meat was really not that much so don't have high expectations. One thing that stood out were the waiters They were loud mouthed and loved to interrupt the on-going conversations to ask for orders, put the dishes down and introduce the dishes. They lacked the grace and discernment of the waiters Dozo had. Given that this restaurant is in a busy place (Bukit Pasoh) with limited parking, I would rather stick to Dozo at RV since nothing is really different from Dozo.

yeocw
 • 16 Jan 2014 94 reviews 35 followers
Overall
The restaurant serves East/West fusion cuisine with infusion of its own interpretation of receipes. Since my first visit to The Clan in July 2012 when it was newly opened, I must say that the high food standards has maintained. In fact, the restaurant was bustling at 70-80% of its seating capacity on a Wed night.

Although we were served by various waiters and waitress, every one of them was courteous, helpful and prompt. In this age of tight manpower and fickle staff for F&B industry, The Clan obviously not only trained its staff well, but also retained its staff. The staff would explain the dishes and sometimes recommend the order and method of eating certain dishes. This is particularly so for the starter (since it has 3 different items, of different tastes) and the beef short ribs (which can be intimidating for those unfamiliar with it)

The Clan offers only set meals: 5 course lunch ($45.80++) and 6 course dinner ($65.80++). This is a slight increase when I first went for food tasting in Jul 2012. The diner chooses the cold dish (only for dinner), soup, side dish, main course and dessert out of the given choices. The starter is by the chef’s design, so its not on the menu. The clan has a pretty good wine list and a wine pairing recommendation. I had the house pour Shiraz ($13/glass) which went well with my choice of Beef Carpaccio, Escargot, Mushroom soup with truffle paste, prime beef short rib on hot lava stone and lava cake.

Overall, I continue to recommend The Clan for dining. It offers good value for the price in terms of quality of ingredients, cooking, service standards and ambience.

Must tries: Beef Carpaccio with truffle, 48 hrs short ribs w mandeira sauce, Cepes mushroom w truffle paste

Birthdays, Dinner, Fine Dining, Formal Events, Lunch, Romance/First Dates, Wine Lists