48 hrs short ribs w mandeira sauce12 votes

Nice Deco3 votes

Aurely
 • 29 Aug 2013 1 review 0 follower
Overall
We went 5 of us to The Clan restaurant yesterday evening and really had a great surprise. The staff was perfect, present and friendly but not too invasive. We ordered 4 set meals composed of 6 dishes and one of us just took a main course. The waiter in charge of our table offered the first dish (the chef's special) to our friend who took only the main course, and also proposed to bring 5 deserts to share, even if we should have had only 4 with the sets.  For the drinks, 2 of us took wine by the glass and have been refilled for free.
The restaurant is organized in a way that there are lots of small rooms, so we were on our own in a corner and could even ask to switch off the A/C as we were too cold.

In term of food, all the dishes were very well presented, in different types of plates, and the taste was just great. I loved all the dishes i've chosen (oysters, clams, chicken ginseng soup, beef) and all my friends just loved theirs as well.

An overall very good experience that I recommend.

Must tries: 48 Hours Beef short Ribs on Hoba Leaf w Madeira Sauce on Lava STone

Anniversary, Business Dining, Dinner, Private Dining

foodolicious
 • 27 Jul 2013 136 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Despite the raving reviews of the clan restaurant and its 5 stars on hungrygowhere, I really find the food mediocre, thus the collage as I’m not very bothered in giving details to the food. In general, the whole restaurant tries too hard to be opulent, grand and classy when they use cheap gold table cloth, cutlery and menu (a piece of flimsy paper). It’s too pretentious in my opinion and I didn’t get the slightest feeling that it is a plush restaurant. There was also a little cigarette stench when we went in.

For more details, please view

Sean Tay2
 • 02 Jul 2013 10 reviews 18 followers
Overall
A friend suggested this venue for a birthday lunch back in March 03 and after some research it seems that the chef had moved on from Dozo. Now, Dozo is a place I have visited quite a few times and quite liked because of the hip decor, (a little over the top and over-enthusiastic) service and interesting food.

If I am not wrong, the chef has transported his approach from Dozo to The Clan in quite its entirety, from the fixed menu which comprised of fruit-based non-acloholic shooters to start off the meal and an entree of the Chef's Platter. Visited this venue twice in 3 months and the platter was the same, not that I am complaining.....

The servers took time to explain the 3 components of platter and the recommended order for consumption. The scallop was nicely browned while still tender in the middle and the accompanying foam complemented it.
On the left was a mini sushi rice ball with furikake and lots of mayo.... no one could fault that. The last one if i did not remember wrongly was a foie gras chawanmushi which was pretty delicate and a warm welcome for the rest of the meal. Do not expect an overpowering foie taste for the price you are paying.

For sides, some partners had the steamed razor clams which they claimed were fresh and really awesome. Deep fried Foie Gras was something new to me and I gave it a shot. While the insides of the foie was cooked to a nice doneness, the batter did not seem to complement the foie. I had requested on my 2nd visit for the foie gras to be simply pan-seared but was told it could not be done. Again, the crust was left behind while the foie were eaten. I guess for most people, the crust on the foie gras is what we love most.

For the soup course, every single one of us on both visits only went for 2 items. The Cepes Mushrooms with Truffle Paste or the Crab Bisque. While I know a good consomme may be hard to make, is it likely anyone would go for the miso soup? Both soups we had were nice, the mushroom one earthy with blended bits of mushrooms and the crab bisque a little foamy and accomapnied by a 'spring roll' which added some taste as fun.

For the mains, most of us went for the ever-popular 48 Hours Beef Short Ribs on Hoba Leaf with Peppercorn Sauce on Lava Stone. Slow-cooked in a vacuumed bag for 2 days, the beef was sliced and presented on a hot stone topped with a dried Hoba Leaf which imparted a certain aroma to the beef. The beef was already cooked to medium rare upon serving and you get to decide on the doneness by playing around with your meat on the sizzling stone. For me, it was a game of stacking since I was afraid of pieces getting overdone. Oh.... the accomapnying sauce that comes with the steak is negligable. The pleasure comes from the texture of the meat that has been slow cooked to perfection. Just add salt if necessary.

For Desserts, Just go staight from the Royaltine Chocolate Cake, unless you like cheese like me where they provide quite a delicious mix.

After Work, Ala Carte, Anniversary, Birthdays, Boys Night Out, Brunch, Business Dining