48 hrs short ribs w mandeira sauce12 votes

Nice Deco3 votes

SG Food on Foot
 • 22 May 2013 198 reviews 15 followers
Overall
For full review and photos, visit www.sgfoodonfoot.com

For my birthday celebration with my girlfriend this year, I suggested The Clan Restaurant which is nearby our staycation at PARKROYAL on Pickering. The 2 storey restaurant is nestled inside a 100 over years old building that is also The GAN Clan Association. The restaurant interior is pretty dark so pardon me for the poor quality photos. I didn't feel good using my flash as the table were quite close to one another not to mention the dimly lit environment. Upon sitting down, we were presented with the 6 course dinner set menu ($63.80++ per pax). I thought this is different from the usual practice of restaurants where they prefer you to order from their ala carte menu as the profit margin is higher. Nevertheless ala carte menu is available on request. After comparing the 2 menus, we decided to go for the diner set which is more value for money.

Before starting our 6 course meal, we were give watermelon shooter served in a test tube to whet our appetite. The Chef Starter is the only item on the menu that were not given a choice. The Chef Starter comprised of a trio which for me the most memorable was the pan seared scallop with asparagus and truffle foam.

For the cold dish there were 4 choices. My partner had the Alaskan King Crab with Homemade Karashi Dressingwhile I had the Oyster 3 Ways. The oysters were fresh and fat. Among the 3 styles, my favourite was the oyster shooter with quail egg. Initially I was afraid that the rawness will be too much for me to stomach but there was an interesting zesty sauce that brought it together.

Out of the 5 choices available for the Side Dish, my partner had the Kurobuta Pork Belly confit with Pork Cracker & Passion Fruit Sauce while I tried the Deep Fried Foie Gras, Balsamico Reduction & Cheese Focaccia. I didn't quite enjoyed this dish. I thought the foie gras lost its shine in the dish and I felt like having deep fried wanton with minced pork filling.

Next for the soup which comes with another 4 choices, my partner had the Miso with Yuzu Essence while I had theCrab Bisque Cappuccino w Truffle Foam & Prawn Twister. Love the presentation as well as the richness and robustness of the flavours.

For the Main, there are 6 choices. My partner had the popular 48 Hours Beef Short Ribs on Hoba Leaf with  Madeira Sauce on Lava Stone and I had the Kurobuta Pork Jawl in Pistachio Puree with Pickled Zucchini & 64 Degree Egg Yolk. The pork cheek was fork tender with a flavourful encrusting and nicely balanced with the egg yolk coating.

Must tries: 48 hrs short ribs w mandeira sauce

The Ranting Panda
 • 19 May 2013 156 reviews 1 follower
Overall
For a more detailed review and pictures, pls visit www.therantingpanda.wordpress.com

The Place Located in Bukit Pasoh Road amidst the old conservation buildings of Chinatown district is The Clan, a modern European restaurant which prides itself on its degustation menu (6 course dinner at $62.80++). I like the location of The Clan, as it is so conveniently located close to town yet you simply feel a little out of the world along Bukit Pasoh Road.

Must tries: 48 hrs short ribs w mandeira sauce

After Work, Anniversary, Business Dining, Dinner, Fine Dining, Hidden Find, Lunch, Nice Deco, Romance/First Dates

chefquak
 • 26 Mar 2013 156 reviews 1 follower
Overall
See full reviews & photos at my blog=http://chefquak.wordpress.com/2013/03/10/the-clan-restaurant-bukit-pasoh-singapore-on-8-3-2013/

had a great lunch with my daughter at The Clan Restaurant at Bukit Pasoh. We had the 5-course set lunch.
This my second time here – I was here with my wife 3 weeks back. We both liked the food. The Chef, Ken Teo, was formerly the Executive Chef of Dozo, and we have always liked Dozo’s food. The price of the 5-course lunch, S$42.80 (6-course dinner S$63.80), is slightly higher than Dozo (& w/o the cooler drink), but I think overall the food quality is better.
There are 5 choices of appetiser & dessert, 4 choices of soup & 6 choices of main course.
I suppose the name has got to do with its location at the premises of The Gan Clan Association. Bukit Pasoh locale is home to a good few top restaurants like Majestic, Oso and nearby at Kiong Siak Street – Ember, Nicolas Le & Bistro Soori. The food is I guess nothing “Clanish”, being in the modern european genre similar to Dozo with touch of Japanese fusion.
just like Dozo, we started with a nice thirst quencher.
The Chef Starter is a trio comprising duck rillette, pan-seared scallop with lots of foam (this is very good & definitely better than Dozo) and a salmon mouche cone (Dozo serves a smoked salmon, tiny pan-seared piece of foie gras & pan-seared scallop).
Next we had a choice of appetiser. I had the bamboo clam. This was really very good. the clam was very sweet & bouncy fresh, and the ikura (salmon roe) flavour & saltiness combined very well with the shellfish texture indeed. My daughter had the deep-fried foie gras, which was not a common preparation. I stole a bite. It was different & quite good, but unlikely to displace the all-time favourite pan-seared caramelised foie gras anytime soon.
Next up is the soup. I had the cepes mushroom bisque. It was very good, maybe slightly more quantity-wise but not much different from Dozo. My daughter had the crab bisque which came with a prawn twister. I think this had a lot more foam than that served at Dozo & was overall better.
Next came the 48hr beef short ribs served on hoba leaf on a lava stone. I really, really loved this dish. The quality of the beef was much superior to that at Dozo. The meat was just so sweet & flavourful & the texture was just super.
For the dessert choice, my daughter had the chocolate lava cake. It was good. I had the 4-cheese platter-good stuff!
Overall, it made for an extremely satisfying meal.

Must tries: 48 hrs short ribs w mandeira sauce, Razor clams