Summary

Food/Drink3
Truffle Fries, portobello fries, Wagyu Beef and Mushroom Pizza, Prawn and lobster aglio, BBQ ribs, Margherita pizza, Perfect Roast, Prosciutto Pizza, Rosti, Sausage with fried egg, Steak and Egg, T-bone steak with truffle fries, Tom Yum pasta, Truffle and Mushroom Linguine, Wagyu beef salad, blackforest in a jar, chicken wings, reuben sandwich, toasties View all
Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, After Work, Brunch, Dinner, Chillout, Hidden Find, Large Groups/Gathering, Children/Family, Lunch, Ala Carte, Quiet, View/Scenery, Romance/First Dates, Anniversary, Birthdays, Breakfast, Supper, Girls Night Out, Relaxed, Boys Night Out, Large Groups, Nice Deco, Business Dining, Live Band, Night Out, People Watching, Private Dining, Vibrant/Noisy View all

The Coastal Settlement @ Netheravon Road

For the complete review with uploaded pictures and quoted prices, please view:

A hidden gem settled near to the eastern border of our island, The Coastal Settlement is a recently established casual dining restaurant that is motivated to offer savoury Western and Asian dishes in her one-of-its-kind village home-like environment, infused with a contemporary touch. Surrounded by greenery and situated relatively close to the sea, The Coastal Settlement encourages her customers to be dressed comfortably so as to expect nothing more than a casual dining experience.

Melody explained to us how a few unique aspects of the former army barrack-warehouse’s architecture were retained and she divulged one of the venue’s hidden secrets to me as well. In line with one of the co-owners’ passion for antiques and old knick- knacks, the interior of The Coastal Settlement is furnished with an extensive variety of collectors’ treasures and vintage items that contributes to the restaurant’s vision of reliving the old days and for the customers to be immersed in a nostalgic experience. A vastly spacious single-storey eatery that can accommodate a capacity of 200- odd patrons, The Coastal Settlement is definitely an ideal dining location for any large gatherings. There are also a few private corners for any couples or small groups who seek for a more intimate affair.

The lightly crisped shoestring fries were gently lifted by just the right amount of white truffle oil that caused them to taste finger-licking good. Matched by a small dip of tangy home-made ketchup that concocted of freshly-diced tomato bits, the Truffle Fries were definitely a simple yet satisfying starter that is indeed worthy of one’s order.

The Char-grilled Wagyu Beef and Mushroom Pizza was introduced as one of the restaurant’s best-sellers, one that would usually be spotted at almost every table during dinner time. The milder White Wine Reduction tempered the strong flavours of the Mozzarella and Cheddar Cheese so that one would still be able to taste the smoky savour of the gratifyingly chewy Char-grilled Wagyu Beef and the delightful mix of Sauteed Mushrooms and Caramelized Onions. In addition, I thought that the use of the appropriately large cracker-like crust had actually brought about a whole new excitement to the different layers of texture in this pizza.

An Asian classic that is well-known to be tough to leave a significant enough impression; The Coastal Settlement’s Nasi Lemak was a hearty assembly of rice that was well-perfumed with the aroma of coconuts/ pandan, a pair of juicy Fried Chicken drumstick and wing that were not too greasy, two superbly succulent Tiger Prawns, served with a middling Sunny Side Up Egg and lastly, perfectly accompanied by crispy scrumptious Ikan Bilis and not too spicy (more of sweet) Sambal Chilli. Although the culinary team could have been more generous with the portions of Coconut Rice and Sambal Chilli, I had still found it to be quite a distinctive rendition of Nasi Lemak that would definitely beat the ones offered at some other franchise outlet or chain restaurant elsewhere.

One of their Festival Specials, the superbly tender and fragrant Kurobuta Pork Cheeks were served wonderfully warm on a bed of silky Mashed Potato that spelled delicious comfort at its best. The gastronomical pleasure of the show-stopping chunks of mouthwatering meat was further elevated by the inclusion of braised red wine. A lip-smackingly yummy dish that was the meal’s winner for me

The only disappointing number from The Coastal Settlement, the Sea Salt Caramel Cheese Cake was just too salty for one’s taste buds. The sweet elements were largely overwhelmed, so much so that I could hardly derive any toothsome pleasure from the dessert. However, I do believe that it was just not the right day to have their Sea Salt Caramel Cheese Cake (since it couldn’t possibly go that wrong).

Quite an artful creation that might possibly cause the fairer s** to stare at the plate for a long while before bringing themselves to dig in, the fragrant and slightly crisped Waffles was brilliantly accompanied by a pleasurable assortment of fresh strawberries, banana, maple syrup, whipped cream and a sizeable scoop of dark chocolate ice cream topped with a crunchy nutty wafer biscuit.

Treating us with unfailing hospitality, the service team was warm, patient and courteous. It was easy to engage in a conversation with a few of them and some took the initiative to drop by our table to question if we were satisfied with out food. Our request for an additional serving of their home-made Tomato Sauce (for our Truffle Fries) were acceded to almost immediately. Knowing that we were sharing our main dishes, additional plates and utensils were brought to our table, even without us asking. This was also carried out before we started on our desserts.

I must admit that The Coastal Settlement is indeed quite inaccessible, especially to those who might be more reliant on public transport. However, I do strongly believe that The Coastal Settlement is more than worthy of one’s visit- for anyone who favours a remarkable dining ambience, excellent service and a hearty fare of well-executed dishes. Definitely one of the best options for anyone who requires a decent venue for a large gathering in the East, The Coastal Settlement is also an ideal choice for families and friends to enjoy a meal together throughout the week.

Most helpful reviews for The Coastal Settlement

okay but shocking service

Food was decent if a bit expensive. Service was okay with friendly staff but the kitchen was shockingly inefficient. It took a full hour and ten minutes from the time we ordered for the food to come. This was despite numerous reminders to the service staff to hasten the process. Ultimately I would only recommend this place for those who are looking for distinctly average, yet expensive, food and are pretentious enough to find enjoyment in the "ambience" while they wait an eternity for the food the arrive.

a quiet sanctuary, a hidden gem

Food/Drink 4| Value 4| Ambience 4

for photos and more reviews, visit http://thelittlemomentsofmylife.blogspot.com/ :)

Without a car, I would probably NEVER EVER travel all the way to changi for this. It was seriously super ulu! But that is precisely the charm of Coastal Settlement, old-school, laidback, with a relaxing country-vibe. And the car ride along the length of the changi airbase and along the beach was absolutely picturesque! It was so beautiful, the expanse of space with the long beach, and planes rumbling along the runway and taking off all around you.

We were expecting breakfast/brunch food when we came to this restaurant, but realized that it actually has a lot of other dishes that are more for lunch/dinner. Anyway, it still made a great meal.

I’ve heard raving reviews about their Portobello fries ($15) and they didn’t disappoint! Wonderfully crumbed in a light batter, the mushrooms were deliciously fragrant and juicy. They came with a truffle mayonnaise dip that further enhanced the flavour of the mushrooms.

The coastal wings & drumlets ($14) that came drizzled with a sweet and sour sauce were nothing to shout about though. They were simply crispy fried chicken wings with sauce, and I felt they could probably have provided more sauce.

The rosti sausage ($16) was lovingly hand-cut, and was fried to a lightly crisp and buttery texture. I believe this is one rosti that you can actually eat on its own and it would still be tasty!! The sausage that came with it was generously portioned and complemented the rosti nicely.

The cheese burger had to be one of the most MEGA-SIZED portioned burgers I’ve ever eaten! It was well worth the $26 it cost. Gosh. I ate only half the burger, and I was so super duper full. We wanted to order dessert initially, but I was totally stuffed, all the way to dinner. A 180g wagyu beef patty, with medium doneness, it was pretty tender, with an interestingly crunchy texture, just slightly. It was topped with melted smoked cheddar cheese, sliced mushrooms, bacon strips and sandwiched between a really dense bun. I would have preferred a fluffier bun I guess, this was really way too carbo-heavy for me. I loved the mesclun salad and fries that came with it though! Thick-cut fries, and every piece was evenly salted just right. Even if they weren’t all crispy, they tasted good anyway.

Finally, the Good Old fish & chips ($26) were pretty good as well! The white cod fish was fresh, and the batter was quite light. Loved the fries, which was the same as my burger’s.

And the marshmallow chocolate ($6) was really interesting! I loved how the fluffy marshmallows added sweetness to the chocolate, I don’t think it needed any extra sugar!

Overall a very quaint, hidden-find that was worth the travel :)

Over-rated and over-priced

Sure, it's set in tranquil and lush environs. It must have taken quite a bit of work to get all that retro stuff into and up in the restaurant. But the food must matter too. It is after all a restaurant.

I ordered a nasi lemak. For $16+, you would expect it to be really worth that. But the rice had nary a hint of coconut. The prawns, as were the chicken drumlets, were only so-so. That is pretty much how wasted my $16+ was - on average fare that I am reminded, could be better spent at Changi Village Hawker Centre's nasi lemak stalls. It was so ordinary for such a price and therefore so disappointing.

The truffle fries were interesting. The condiment of truffle oil and tomato bits was well done and gave the fries a lift. Nothing much to shout about here. They were just fries, best enjoyed while they are still piping hot. $15+ for this was nonetheless too high for dish whose best bit is a saucer of condiment.

Too often, many restaurants get too fixated on conjuring their best dishes and neglect to do the simple things properly. I got a black coffee to see if Coastal Settlement is one of those. It is. The coffee was overly strong. The aftertaste was acrid. I suspect that the beans were not entirely lousy ones but that the machine was not optimised for a decent cup of coffee.

Lousy Food, expendive but nice ambience

Ambience was great.  Service was show.  The beef ribs was an absolute waste of money at $38. Small serving,  3/4 of the beef was fat.  Veg was salty. Truffle fries was unique but also salty. The service was rather slow and its probably due to the large area that they need to cover.

Overpriced but great food, bad service

Went with the boyfriend for a belated Valentine's dinner on a Saturday night. We reached at about 815 pm and it was busy, but not packed. Overall, was really amazed by the decoration and the overall ambience. Loved the liberal use of fairy lights (my favourite!) and the swings in the outdoor area.

Service, however, is very poor considering the high cost of a meal here. Walked into the entrance and wasn't shown a seat. In fact, we were ignored. Had to walk up to cashier to ask for seating. When we were placing orders, waiter was curt, unsmilingly. He didn't repeat our orders carefully, merely muttering general words such as 'pizza' and 'linguine'. My food took 25 minutes to arrive wheres boyfriend's food only took 5 minutes, and while waiting for mine, his pizza went cold. Staff definitely noticed (because they were staring) that only one of us had food on our plate but didn't bother to walk up to clarify. It was only until we asked again was my food then served in 2 minutes. Staff offered an insincere sorry. All the staff seemed untrained as they were all unsmiling, unattentive, and unhelpful.

Food was great. We ordered a half-half pizza, the truffle and mushroom linguine, and the lava cake. They were delicious and we have no complaints, however, 17 dollars for a small lava cake with a scoop of mint ice cream? It wasn't exquisite, flavour was balanced, and food was well plated. Better dessert places have offered better food for less. Same goes for the mains.

Overall, I would recommend this place, but go with lower expectations than you would usually have. This is my first time writing a review, by the way, because I feel it seems such a shame that a beautiful restaurant with good food and a high price tag would ruin a potential great experience with horrible service.