Truffle Fries15 votes

People Watching3 votes

colourfulapple
 • 12 Aug 2014 22 reviews 0 follower
Overall
The ambience is nice with some greenies on the outside. The interiors are also cosily decorated. The food we ordered were the roast chicken with a side of truffle fries, and the fried chicken. Upon presentation, the food looks wonderful and we were very eager to eat it all. However, the fried chicken was an ordinary fried chicken with Thai sweet chili sauce poured all over it. The roast chicken looks interesting with its corn kernel and gravy but it was too bland for my liking. The truffle fries was not the best. It was drenched of truffle oil and did not taste fresh.

One thing I would remember about this place is its awful service. It was difficult to get attention from any of the waiters. We asked for some water but they did not serve us any even after asking several times. We had already ordered some iced lemon tea prior.

In addition, it took them more than 15 minutes to come to the table with the bill for payment. We had to ask 3 times before we finally received the bill. Maybe there were short of staff or something, but the horrible service left a bad impression on us.

hungryearthling
 • 20 Apr 2014 3 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Huge servings for the mains and nice decor. Not the best service but definitely fast. Had to queue for some time on a Saturday night as no reservation is allowed. You may want to take bus 29 from tampines as the direction for non-drivers is not stated on their website (not even on gothere.sg when I typed the address). Mushroom lovers will love the juicy portobello fries.

Must tries: portobello fries, Margherita pizza

After Work, Chillout, Dinner, Vibrant/Noisy

Chubby Botak Koala
 • 18 Mar 2014 256 reviews 19 followers
For the complete Chubby Botak Koala experience, click here:

Ever wonder on how Singapore looks like in the past? Or do you want to re-live the past of Singapore atmosphere in the 70s? Or are you are looking for a quick escape from the hectic Singapore? The Coastal Settlement is the place to be. Located in an 'ulu' (not easy to reach) location, off Loyang Ave opposite entrance of Changi Air Base, this place is not easy to reach.

We started with Portobello Fries ($15), Crumbed Portobello slices with truffle mayonnaise. The portobello mushrooms are sliced to fingers size, coated with bread crumb and fried. It has a nice crispy texture and retaining the juicy mushroom inside. Nicely executed and a must try for mushroom lovers. The truffle mayonnaise dipping was just too overpowering and cover up natural taste of portobello. Personally, just a normal mayonnaise or the Japanese version will be good enough.

For our main brunch, I had Rosti Sausage with fried egg ($21), while LD ordered Steak and Eggs ($32). The rosti is nicely done, with the crispy outer part while maintaining the moist internally. The sour cream provide a counter balance to the rich rosti and sausage. The baby spinach are dressed with a dash of balsamic vinegar. Yum!! Rating

LD's Steak and Egg ($32) consist of 250g Angus Rib Eye, Scramble eggs, truffle fries, mesclun and veal jus. Yup, this is a huge one and I end up finishing 1/3 of it. The scramble eggs are smooth and fluffy. The steak was of a good size, cooked to medium rare with nice charred mark. It is juicy and tender, but not the better cut of Angus steak though. The truffle fries is not to our liking, however it goes well when we dip in to the sour cream on the rosti.

To accompany my brunch, I ordered a latte ($6). Nicely presented with a latte art finishing. The coffee is smooth, bold with a little acidity at the end. According to the service staff, they use home roasted beans, but decline to let me know from which roaster. LD's homemade lemon barley ($7) came with a lemon wedges, not slices. If you want more lemon flavour, just squeeze it.

Service is good and efficient but not extraordinary. We did not need to wait long for our food as it came at a regular interval. The dining atmosphere is just fantastic, feels like we were transported back to the 70s. We were so amaze by collection of 70s items, we just can't stop taking pictures. A very nice place indeed.

Overall, The Coastal Settlement really provide us with a location sit down, relax and transported back to the 1970s in Singapore. For those that who don't know what the 70s are like, it can be an educational visit as well. The food are quite good so your tummy will be well taken care off. Getting here might be a challenge, however if you know how to get to Change Village by public transport, The Coastal Settlement is just a couple of stop before the bus interchange. Cheers!!

Must tries: portobello fries, Steak and Egg, Rosti, Sausage with fried egg

Ala Carte, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Anniversary, Boys Night Out, Brunch, Business Dining, Children/Family, Dinner, Girls Night Out, Hidden Find, Lunch, Nice Deco, Night Out, Parties, Relaxed, Romance/First Dates, View/Scenery