Summary

Food/Drink3
Truffle Fries, portobello fries, Wagyu Beef and Mushroom Pizza, Prawn and lobster aglio, BBQ ribs, Margherita pizza, Perfect Roast, Prosciutto Pizza, Rosti, Sausage with fried egg, Steak and Egg, T-bone steak with truffle fries, Tom Yum pasta, Truffle and Mushroom Linguine, Wagyu beef salad, blackforest in a jar, chicken wings, reuben sandwich, toasties View all
Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, After Work, Brunch, Dinner, Chillout, Hidden Find, Large Groups/Gathering, Children/Family, Lunch, Ala Carte, Quiet, View/Scenery, Romance/First Dates, Anniversary, Birthdays, Breakfast, Supper, Girls Night Out, Relaxed, Boys Night Out, Large Groups, Nice Deco, Business Dining, Live Band, Night Out, People Watching, Private Dining, Vibrant/Noisy View all

Great place but awful service

The ambience is nice with some greenies on the outside. The interiors are also cosily decorated. The food we ordered were the roast chicken with a side of truffle fries, and the fried chicken. Upon presentation, the food looks wonderful and we were very eager to eat it all. However, the fried chicken was an ordinary fried chicken with Thai sweet chili sauce poured all over it. The roast chicken looks interesting with its corn kernel and gravy but it was too bland for my liking. The truffle fries was not the best. It was drenched of truffle oil and did not taste fresh.

One thing I would remember about this place is its awful service. It was difficult to get attention from any of the waiters. We asked for some water but they did not serve us any even after asking several times. We had already ordered some iced lemon tea prior.

In addition, it took them more than 15 minutes to come to the table with the bill for payment. We had to ask 3 times before we finally received the bill. Maybe there were short of staff or something, but the horrible service left a bad impression on us.

Most helpful reviews for The Coastal Settlement

okay but shocking service

Food was decent if a bit expensive. Service was okay with friendly staff but the kitchen was shockingly inefficient. It took a full hour and ten minutes from the time we ordered for the food to come. This was despite numerous reminders to the service staff to hasten the process. Ultimately I would only recommend this place for those who are looking for distinctly average, yet expensive, food and are pretentious enough to find enjoyment in the "ambience" while they wait an eternity for the food the arrive.

a quiet sanctuary, a hidden gem

Food/Drink 4| Value 4| Ambience 4

for photos and more reviews, visit http://thelittlemomentsofmylife.blogspot.com/ :)

Without a car, I would probably NEVER EVER travel all the way to changi for this. It was seriously super ulu! But that is precisely the charm of Coastal Settlement, old-school, laidback, with a relaxing country-vibe. And the car ride along the length of the changi airbase and along the beach was absolutely picturesque! It was so beautiful, the expanse of space with the long beach, and planes rumbling along the runway and taking off all around you.

We were expecting breakfast/brunch food when we came to this restaurant, but realized that it actually has a lot of other dishes that are more for lunch/dinner. Anyway, it still made a great meal.

I’ve heard raving reviews about their Portobello fries ($15) and they didn’t disappoint! Wonderfully crumbed in a light batter, the mushrooms were deliciously fragrant and juicy. They came with a truffle mayonnaise dip that further enhanced the flavour of the mushrooms.

The coastal wings & drumlets ($14) that came drizzled with a sweet and sour sauce were nothing to shout about though. They were simply crispy fried chicken wings with sauce, and I felt they could probably have provided more sauce.

The rosti sausage ($16) was lovingly hand-cut, and was fried to a lightly crisp and buttery texture. I believe this is one rosti that you can actually eat on its own and it would still be tasty!! The sausage that came with it was generously portioned and complemented the rosti nicely.

The cheese burger had to be one of the most MEGA-SIZED portioned burgers I’ve ever eaten! It was well worth the $26 it cost. Gosh. I ate only half the burger, and I was so super duper full. We wanted to order dessert initially, but I was totally stuffed, all the way to dinner. A 180g wagyu beef patty, with medium doneness, it was pretty tender, with an interestingly crunchy texture, just slightly. It was topped with melted smoked cheddar cheese, sliced mushrooms, bacon strips and sandwiched between a really dense bun. I would have preferred a fluffier bun I guess, this was really way too carbo-heavy for me. I loved the mesclun salad and fries that came with it though! Thick-cut fries, and every piece was evenly salted just right. Even if they weren’t all crispy, they tasted good anyway.

Finally, the Good Old fish & chips ($26) were pretty good as well! The white cod fish was fresh, and the batter was quite light. Loved the fries, which was the same as my burger’s.

And the marshmallow chocolate ($6) was really interesting! I loved how the fluffy marshmallows added sweetness to the chocolate, I don’t think it needed any extra sugar!

Overall a very quaint, hidden-find that was worth the travel :)

Over-rated and over-priced

Sure, it's set in tranquil and lush environs. It must have taken quite a bit of work to get all that retro stuff into and up in the restaurant. But the food must matter too. It is after all a restaurant.

I ordered a nasi lemak. For $16+, you would expect it to be really worth that. But the rice had nary a hint of coconut. The prawns, as were the chicken drumlets, were only so-so. That is pretty much how wasted my $16+ was - on average fare that I am reminded, could be better spent at Changi Village Hawker Centre's nasi lemak stalls. It was so ordinary for such a price and therefore so disappointing.

The truffle fries were interesting. The condiment of truffle oil and tomato bits was well done and gave the fries a lift. Nothing much to shout about here. They were just fries, best enjoyed while they are still piping hot. $15+ for this was nonetheless too high for dish whose best bit is a saucer of condiment.

Too often, many restaurants get too fixated on conjuring their best dishes and neglect to do the simple things properly. I got a black coffee to see if Coastal Settlement is one of those. It is. The coffee was overly strong. The aftertaste was acrid. I suspect that the beans were not entirely lousy ones but that the machine was not optimised for a decent cup of coffee.

Lousy Food, expendive but nice ambience

Ambience was great.  Service was show.  The beef ribs was an absolute waste of money at $38. Small serving,  3/4 of the beef was fat.  Veg was salty. Truffle fries was unique but also salty. The service was rather slow and its probably due to the large area that they need to cover.

Overpriced but great food, bad service

Went with the boyfriend for a belated Valentine's dinner on a Saturday night. We reached at about 815 pm and it was busy, but not packed. Overall, was really amazed by the decoration and the overall ambience. Loved the liberal use of fairy lights (my favourite!) and the swings in the outdoor area.

Service, however, is very poor considering the high cost of a meal here. Walked into the entrance and wasn't shown a seat. In fact, we were ignored. Had to walk up to cashier to ask for seating. When we were placing orders, waiter was curt, unsmilingly. He didn't repeat our orders carefully, merely muttering general words such as 'pizza' and 'linguine'. My food took 25 minutes to arrive wheres boyfriend's food only took 5 minutes, and while waiting for mine, his pizza went cold. Staff definitely noticed (because they were staring) that only one of us had food on our plate but didn't bother to walk up to clarify. It was only until we asked again was my food then served in 2 minutes. Staff offered an insincere sorry. All the staff seemed untrained as they were all unsmiling, unattentive, and unhelpful.

Food was great. We ordered a half-half pizza, the truffle and mushroom linguine, and the lava cake. They were delicious and we have no complaints, however, 17 dollars for a small lava cake with a scoop of mint ice cream? It wasn't exquisite, flavour was balanced, and food was well plated. Better dessert places have offered better food for less. Same goes for the mains.

Overall, I would recommend this place, but go with lower expectations than you would usually have. This is my first time writing a review, by the way, because I feel it seems such a shame that a beautiful restaurant with good food and a high price tag would ruin a potential great experience with horrible service.