Reviews for The Dempsey Brasserie

AmericanBeerEuropeanWesternWine
Address: 7 Dempsey Road, 249671
23 Jun 2011

a great new find...

I went to Dempsey last night for drinks and food with 8 friends. We headed to CMBP but couldn't get a table. Luckily, we saw this new place a couple of doors down and decided to try it, even though it was apparently their first night open! The decor was simple, slightly industrial and a good balance between relaxed and trendy.

The menu stated it was a 'limited opening menu' but there was still plenty to choose from, so we decided to order a few items to share. The dishes were generally European, with a slight leaning towards French. Nearly all the food that arrived were delicious, which was a relief for an opening night. The most impressive dishes were the French onion soup ($9), Moules Mariniere & Fries ($20) and the Prime Angus Mini Burgers ($16). The only dish that was a bit misleading was the prawn cocktail ($16). Although tasty, it was more like a salad with a few prawns, rather than the traditional prawns with a little bit of salad.

All in all, the ambiance, service and attitude of the place is spot on for an area like Dempsey. We love CMPB and PS Café in this area. The Dempsey Brasserie is certainly a great alternative to both of them, and we'll certainly be back sometime soon. Especially as we noticed they're starting a Weekend Brunch this Saturday!
Mussels & Fries, Mini Burgers, French Onion Soup

More reviews of The Dempsey Brasserie

Overall

Nice place , shame about the cooking

It is a nicely presented restaurant and I found the staff genuinely enagaged and looking for solutions considering the problems we had. It doesnt seem that they understand French cooking really, like other places (Bristot du Sommelier, Au Petit Salut, L'Angelus, Le Bouchon etc.). We started with a pretty lame charcuterie plate...nothing exciting about this. The servers had no clue what was wrong with the over cooked Tenderloin two of us ordered (clearly not a mistake), nor the undercooked chicken in the salad which is a serious issue. At least check the food before it leaves the kitchen people !. Shame as there is room for a good French brasserie in Dempsey.

Overall

Quite a pretty place, average food and pretty friendly service.

For full review and pictures, please visit : http://storyofoursummers.blogspot.com/2012/04/dempsey-brasserie.html

Iced Latte- $6

X felt that the latte was not very fragrant

The Big Brasserie Breakfast - $24

X felt that the tomatoes were the highlight

The bacon strips were slightly crisp and savory but were a tad burnt.

The poached eggs were, sadly, rather overcooked.

As for the bread, mushrooms and sausage, they did not leave a lasting impression.

All in all, this was pretty average

Eggs Royale -$22

This is one of the most expensive eggs royale I've ever had.

I always choose eggs royale over eggs benedict because of the differences in the level of saltiness that smoked salmon provides. In times when the hollandaise sauce is too plain or lacking in flavour, the smoked salmon compensates for that lack.

In this case, the smoked salmon worked its magic again as the hollandaise was a little lacking in flavour.

And the eggs were slightly overcooked

Vanilla muffin with chocolate chip - $2.50

We were surprised by how cheap the muffin is. The muffin which was warmed up had a melted chocolate centre. However, the muffin didn't leave a special impression as it tasted just average.

bad service

I used to frequent this place but I stopped because I realized they can never get my order right. I ordered a simple caesar salad with dressing on the side and no cheese and it came with cheese and dressing mixed in. To be honest the reason why I didn't come back because the same thing happened last time and also the food order took uber long to arrive. The last time I was here my friends ordered mussels, fish n chips etc.. n their food all came before my order. How long and hard is it to make a caesar salad with dressing on the side n no cheese? Fine, they fixed the order after a LONG time. I would assume that it will be served faster if they messed up my order? No..by the time my salad came my friends were almost done eating. It was not a pleasant experience especially I used to come here.

So today, I decided to give it another shot because my gf wanted to have brunch.

I ordered the same thing just to see if they will get it right. I ordered a caesar salad with chicken, anchovies no cheese and dressing on the side. The SAME THING HAPPENED again. I specifically said no cheese and dressing on the side but it came mixed with alot of dressing and cheese. I sent it back. My gf purposely took her time with her pasta so she can eat with me but it took more than 15 mins for the salad to come. The salad came with dressing on the side this time but again WITH CHEESE. I cannot keep sending the order back I was really fed up and I decided to go elsewhere like Culina or PS Cafe after my gf got done with her pasta. I can't believe they did not even bother to pacify a regular customer that is pissed off with their service and standard. Seriously this is not acceptable in the F&B industry and for sure none of my friends will frequent this place again.

A secret rendezvous...

The Dempsey area used to be a place considered too far for me. How that has changed!

All that changed last weekend when one of my friends told me to meet up with her at the popular Ben & Jerry's for dessert but as luck would have it, the directions were a bit unfamiliar to me. Whilst locating her whereabouts, I chanced upon this new stretch of restaurants at block 7.Apparently it is a new block and seemed like a secret getaway from the busier blocks.

All the restaurants there looked interesting but one restaurant,The Dempsey Brasserie caught my eye. Smacked in between the other restaurants, its appeal was how refreshing it looked from the outside. As I walked through, I thought that this is just another fancy restaurant but it turned out otherwise. The service staff was on hand to offer warm and sincere greetings despite having a busy crowd. Stepping in the restaurant, the high ceilings caught my eye and the bar added its own appeal to the interior.

Informed my friend and decided to have desserts in this restaurant instead.Looking at the menu and upon recommendations from the service staff, we actually found ourselves going for the board of mini-burgers and starter pot of the mussels(Rouge sauce)! The mini burgers were as yummy as it looked cute. 3 little burgers but yet substantial. The starter pot of mussels were steaming hot and it was simply delicious. The portion could be slightly more to justify the price though.

We finally got down to our desserts and ordered the profiteroles and warm fondant. They were spot on and differs from just the ordinary dessert.

This place is worth checking out again. Found out from the manager that the place was relatively new.Service was prompt and attentive.All in all, a nice way to spend a night with a friend soaking in the laid-back ambience.

Looks like the Dempsey area will not seem too far for me after all.

Overall

To me, didn't stand out from the Dempsey crowd

Dempsey Brasserie is competing in a relatively tough market. Not only is it part of the sea of Dempsey restaurants, it’s also another one of those casual restaurants serving simple but well-exectued dishes, along the likes of Spruce and Roadhouse, to name a few. I have no issues with the food at Dempsey Brasserie, and everything we ordered was generally up to snuff. Unsurprisingly, my favourite dish was dessert, where a simple lemon and lime sorbet was clearly made from the real thing (i.e., lemon and lime juice) and was a lovely palate cleanser at the end of the meal.

But oh, the service! Every communication with the servers involved minutes of waiting, frantic waving, etc. This is the only place I’ve ever been to where, upon asking the server for a refill of water, he refills just your glass and not the glasses of the other people at the table, which are equally empty, thus necessitating another round of waving, eye contact, etc. It’s not that there weren’t enough waiters around, just that they perpetually seemed to be zooming about the restaurant. On the night that we were there, there were maybe 5 tables in the indoor seating area so I was a little confused as to what they seemed so busy with. But as we left the restaurant, we discovered that the outdoor seating area was completely full. Ah.

So perhaps getting the servers attention is a matter of location rather than anything else. The other thing about the indoor seating area was that, with the cement flooring, it was pretty loud, even with only 5 tables. Perhaps it’s an unintentional consequence of the faux industrial design concept, but I can imagine that it’d be pretty hard to conduct a conversation when the restaurant is actually full.