Crackling Suckling Pig8 votes

View/Scenery3 votes

Phil Lazarus
 • 29 Jun 2014 9 reviews 0 follower
Overall
The food was quite good.  For Dempsey Hill, i thought it was reasonably priced as well.  The problem is really the service & customer experience.

We had the steak tartare appetizer which was yummy.  Then a few moments later they brought us our side dish of the broccolini.  We looked at it and waited for the mains to come. And waited.  And waited.  We started to nibble because we were hungry and eventually we finished it...but still no sign of our main dishes.

We called the waiter to find out where the rest of our food was why we got the side dish so early.  He gave us some nonsense about this being a shared plates restaurant so they bring things out when they are done so we can share.  I'd believe that if we had ordered from the tapas section of the menu, but i really think they have kitchen communication issues.

In other notes, the hand dryer in the bathroom didn't work and the place had paper napkins.  In my opinion, this is pretty careless attention to detail at a place where the mains are all SGD30 and up.

The food is delicious, but there are some real management issues to be straightened out before this restaurant stops creating disgruntled customers.

SCS C
 • 06 May 2014 229 reviews 1 follower
Overall
for photos and more: http://andmorefood.wordpress.com/2014/05/04/the-disgruntled-chef-dempsey-hill/

I was rather disappointed by this place. I went with high hopes, bolstered by a slew of wonderful praises about the ingenuity of the food here, and the suspense was ever-more built by the fact that I had tried to brunch here more than a couple times (and something always happened to stop it*).

*maybe it was the gourmand gods/ fate.

I’ve come to a point where small portions are appreciated only when expected – usually as part of a many-coursed meal – and I most certainly don’t expect it at brunch, which in itself is a hedonistic activity to ingest in a single meal what you would eat in two.

the amount of food we got irked me to no end, especially since the quality of cooking and execution here was pretty great. it’s a pretty refined brunch, dishes are colorful, and the flavors are more than decent.

the desserts were even more spectacular in execution, but didn’t buck the (lack of) size trend.

at the end of it, it was a fantastic meal flavor-wise. the chefs know what they’re doing in the kitchen, and flavors are contrasting and complementary, and the plating is both beautiful and very modern – but with three courses needed for any measure of satiety, and lunch-set portions what’s more, it’s a format of dining I think best left for more measured, formal meals than brunch.

Must tries: Sticky Toffee Pudding

Ala Carte, Birthdays, Business Dining
  • roquefort magnum
  • roquefort magnum

The Ranting Panda
 • 05 May 2014 157 reviews 1 follower
Overall
For full review and pics, do visit therantingpanda.com
Price is on the high side, no doubt. Somehow I feel that there seems to be something lacking in the restaurant. The food is good no doubt, but the setting and atmosphere does not make me want to sit through for hours to enjoy a meal. Probably this is what I would call a lack of touch dining experience.