Kudos to the kind folks of HGW & The Famous Kitchen for inviting me to the table.For full review <click here>Pen Cai 盆菜 (Cantonese call it Poon-Choi)
– the name is minimalist, but in truth; is a very laborious & elaborate dish, given its wealth of ingredients, different methods of preparation, requiring 3 full days to put together in a tub. Hence, the physical appearance alone is the epitome of the auspicious connotation it bears. In this rendition, you will find braised duck, Chinese shiitake mushrooms, sundried scallops, sundried oysters, abalone, fresh prawns, fish maw, Chinese fa-cai 发财, broccoli, Chinese cabbage, daikon radish, taro cubes etc.
(Pictured is the large order designed for 10pax, but likely to feed a hungry football team)* Only available with 3 working days advanced orderSignature Crystal Chicken
– first and foremost, free range chicken is quite a rare find these days, not to mention the size is good for 8~10pax. A light herbal fragrance that underlies the sauce drizzled, with the meat juicy tender. The meat comes off the bones whole, and most important, not flaking. I’d recommend to try the in-house chili blend for dips, served with this dish.Lobster on Rice Vermicelli
– this is not a common find, and if found, they are few and far between. I wasn’t quite sure how I was to tackle this dish, but as the saying goes “the only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time”. The lobster is already cut to manageable portion, so it’s not a feat to consume with merely chopsticks. The lobster meat is cooked nicely that it comes of the crust effortless, light bounce to the bite, crumbles to lesser chunks, all with a natural sweet after taste. As for the vermicelli, it’s not too wet nor dry. Nice texture to the bite – not mushy nor crunchy. And the bisque soaked portion at the base is sheer goodness.Salt Baked Flower Crab
– these trophies are not small. If measured elbow to elbow, each is almost the length of a 10 inch mobile tablet. The chef dissects them evenly so each shall have an equal portion. I shall not divulge the arduous secrets to how this trophy comes about, but I know you’ll be coming back for more.* Flower crab inventory is finest on Mondays and Fridays. Be advised to pre-order if you’re dining any day in betweenKL Style Dark Fried Thick Noodles
– this is also sometimes known as KL Hokkien Noodles. In my opinion, this has just set the benchmark on my charts, for this dish found locally. The springy tenderness of the thick noodles likened to that of Silver Needle Noodles (better known as Mee-tai-mak or 老鼠粉). The dark wicked sauce looks intimidating, but is packed with mild sweetness and a light salted after taste, and the Wok-hei is omnipresent.
Apart from the Pen Cai & desserts, I’d say that beer goes well with the list of highlights mentioned.
I anticipate that the patronage will be overwhelming over the CNY period, so, plan and make reservations early to avoid disappointing your gastronomic call.