Back to The Sleeping RhinoKlapsons, The Boutique Hotel, 15 Hoe...

double-cooked pork rib4 votes
Corporate Events3 votes

fatpig
 • 19 Aug 2013 464 reviews 68 followers
Overall
Was rather intrigued by the name, "The Sleeping Rhino", so decided to drop by one evening with the missus for dinner. It definitely helped that there was a 50% discount courtesy of my palate card.

Located on the ground floor of Klapsons The Boutique Hotel at Tanjong Pagar, The Sleeping Rhino offers a view of the surrounding pedestrian walkway and vehicular roads through towering floor to ceiling windows. For a little more privacy, opt for the booth seats furthest away from the windows.

Complimentary Bread - The complimentary bread roll came a little crusty and warm. Together with a small container of store bought butter, it made for a nice and simple way to start off.

Pomodoro Penne with Cajun Smoked Chicken - Al dente penne tossed in a mildly tart pomodoro sauce and topped with chunks of savoury cajun chicken - simple yet satisfying. The only gripe I had was the lack of smokiness in the chicken.

Wagyu Beef Burger - The beef patty was done up to medium well but seemed a little drier than expected. Flavours were decent and I liked the addition of the runny yolk sunny side up atop, which gave the burger an overall smooth and rich finish. Unfortunately the bun was crisp but dry and tasteless.

Tiramisu - Circular in shape, the tiramisu's portion was rather small with the sponge fingers a little too soaked in kahlua. The mascarpone cheese seemed a little diluted which definitely didn't help matters. All in all a very average rendition of this Italian classic dessert.

Dinner for 2 pax came to almost $38 with a 50% discount ($75.33 without). Overall food quality hovered around the average mark and prices were honestly on the high side for the corresponding quality. Service was good though but that could be due to the fact that we were the only table that evening (although another couple did come in when we were just about to leave).

The Ranting Panda
 • 20 Jul 2013 156 reviews 1 follower
Overall
For a more detailed review and pictures, pls visit www.therantingpanda.wordpress.com

The Place If not for the Palate card, I would not have known the existence of The Sleeping Rhino, a casual western restaurant located in Klapsons hotel in Tanjong Pagar area.
For the record, it was really quiet on a Saturday evening as only a few tables were occupied. The ambience is casual and it does not feel like I am dining in a hotel. That said, I was still in anticipation of my dinner as the selection is reasonably wide.

Rants The standard of the food here is decent but it does not wow me. I also feel that the restaurant lacks a strong selling point despite its wide variety.

Must tries: Australian Black Mussels

After Work, Business Breakfast, Business Dining, Dinner, Formal Events, Hidden Find, Lunch, Quiet, Relaxed, Wine Lists

Hoongy !
 • 06 Mar 2013 1792 reviews 250 followers
Overall
In an era where many restaurants try to be "different", The Sleeping Rhino has done well in doing simple pleasures well.

Located at the corner of Klapsons Hotel, The Sleeping Rhino is an ideal pit stop for a nice quiet after work meal and makes a nice place to chill during the day.

At  a tasting awhile back when it opened, I started with Avocado, Mango and Prawn Salad. This was a light refreshing dish with a little tanginess.

I then tried the Roasted Mushroom Soup, which was really thick and topped with truffle oil essence.

For the main course I decided to go light with the Macadamia-Crusted Salmon Fillet. The salmon was quite done lightly and its natural oils oozed out with each bite.

For those looking for something heavier, the Double-Cooked Pork Ribs would do the trick. Topped with barbecue sauce, the meat fell off the bone easily and was really tender.

Ended the meal with the Berry Mousse Cheese Cake. Lighter than the traditional American cheese cake, this version woudl ensure that one would not leave the restaurant feeling overloaded.

Overall, I enjoyed the meal and I look forward to trying their other specialties when time permits.

Must tries: double-cooked pork rib

Birthdays, Children/Family, Chillout, Girls Night Out, Relaxed, Romance/First Dates