Reviews for Tiong Bahru Bakery (Eng Hoon)

EuropeanFrenchWestern
HerPenandFork

Artisan pastries in a hipster setting

Full review at http://herpenandfork.blogspot.sg/2014/12/tiong-bahru-bakery.html

The flagship outlet, it has 2 other outlets at Raffles City Shopping Centre and Tangs. However, this outlet is different from the other 2 as it is standalone with a full, laidback cafe setting.

Its awkward-to-pronounce name (Queen-ah-mann) aside, I have a soft spot for the original Kouign Amann. It is up there on my list of penultimate favourite pastries, so this trip was made in mind to try out the newly-launched version with a 'local' twist - Gula Melaka Kouign Amann. The Gula Melaka, though present, wasn't very apparent. Still, this was excellent because it is just like their original. Same crispy, caramelised edges, with soft and buttery textured layers within. Not sure if I would pay the extra dollar for the Gula Melaka and Coconut again, but the Kouign Amann? Anytime.

There are a few more pastries I want to try (like the pretty raved-about Lemon Tart). It will take me a few more trips before I can cover it all, Prices are about on par with most artisan cafe-bakeries. As far as it goes, I would give my nod for its pastries. However, if its city outlets are more convenient, by all means go ahead and skip this trip to this outpost unless you need a full-fledged cafe setting, since the pastries are the same.
07 Dec 2014 • 36 reviews • 0 follower

Artisan pastries in a hipster setting

Full review at http://herpenandfork.blogspot.sg/2014/12/tiong-bahru-bakery.html

Teh Tarik and Hazelnut Financier
29 Nov 2014 • 8 reviews • 0 follower

Not worth the travel

Disappointing. To think I bore with the hunger to travel one hour downtown just to end up in this cafe. Delifrance tastes better.
10 Oct 2014 • 225 reviews • 5 followers

Gula melaka Kouign Amann

A special delivery from @tiongbahrubakery brought us this range of locally flavored #kouignamann pastries. Born out of flavours tested by @GontranCherrier as part of his #gontrangoeslocal campaign, the flaky pastry now comes flavoured with gula melaka, peanuts, chocolate and grated coconut. These were devoured in seconds, really, you can never go wrong with gula melaka. They are $4.50 each and available at all TBB outlets.