Reviews for Tiong Bahru Bakery (Eng Hoon)

3.3

EuropeanFrenchWestern

Kouign Amann is simply unforgettable

Besides kouign amann, I would also recommend the apple crumble or anything made of apple from TBB. Sandwiches were not really exceptional but still good. However, I was abit confused about the branding... While TBB seemed to imply that they are a local bakery serving local breads or pastries but this is clearly a french bakery. The service staff at this branch were quite rude and they gave you either blank stares or frustrating and impatient expressions while I tried to make up my mind on what to order. Furthermore there were no one behind me. Don't know if they were used to serving caucasians or what and I felt that they were not very friendly with the locals.
• 10 Jun 2015 • 1 review • 0 follower

Super disappointed

Overall
I was so excited about eating here - recommended by so many people I know. The ambience and the setting were alright but the food did not live up to the expectation. I had the lava cake - it was not as hot as it is supposed to be, the texture was weird and the top of the cake was burnt. The "pearfect" juice was everything but perfect : the celery leaves were rotten and there was weird foam on top. It looked like a dirty aquarium. The staff was not especiallt friendly - not even bringing me a forl with my cake. Overall, the experience was poor. It is definitly overrated.
• 05 Apr 2015 • 29 reviews • 0 follower

Kouign Amann is simply unforgettable

• 07 Dec 2014 • 47 reviews • 0 follower

Artisan pastries in a hipster setting

Full review at http://herpenandfork.blogspot.sg/2014/12/tiong-bahru-bakery.html

The flagship outlet, it has 2 other outlets at Raffles City Shopping Centre and Tangs. However, this outlet is different from the other 2 as it is standalone with a full, laidback cafe setting.

Its awkward-to-pronounce name (Queen-ah-mann) aside, I have a soft spot for the original Kouign Amann. It is up there on my list of penultimate favourite pastries, so this trip was made in mind to try out the newly-launched version with a 'local' twist - Gula Melaka Kouign Amann. The Gula Melaka, though present, wasn't very apparent. Still, this was excellent because it is just like their original. Same crispy, caramelised edges, with soft and buttery textured layers within. Not sure if I would pay the extra dollar for the Gula Melaka and Coconut again, but the Kouign Amann? Anytime.

There are a few more pastries I want to try (like the pretty raved-about Lemon Tart). It will take me a few more trips before I can cover it all, Prices are about on par with most artisan cafe-bakeries. As far as it goes, I would give my nod for its pastries. However, if its city outlets are more convenient, by all means go ahead and skip this trip to this outpost unless you need a full-fledged cafe setting, since the pastries are the same.