Review for Tiong Bahru Bakery (Eng Hoon)

3.3

EuropeanFrenchWestern
Address: #01-70, 56 Eng Hoon Street, 160056
26 Jun 2014

Sadly overhyped

Tiong Bahru Bakery is one of those places most people have heard of before they've tried it. I remember the excitement surrounding the outlet in Raffles Place when it first opened but it was only recently that I had the opportunity to try it myself.

Since it has been renovated, the original bakery is a nice, trendy spot that is good for a quick catch up over coffee and sweets. Since it was famous for its croissants, I ordered one and a flat white. I found the croissant quite disappointing as it was denser that I expected. I prefer the traditional style of croissants with light, flakey pastry and a soft, fluffy interior. Even the flat white was ordinary at best. For the price, I've definitely had much better elsewhere.

Since my first visit, I have tried their pan au chocolat and chocolate brioche. I felt that the brioche was better than the pan au chocolat and the plain croissant, but nothing has given me a reason to return. (except when someone else picks the meeting spot)

The main positives are the ambience and the lovely, cheerful service staff.

All in all, it may be a matter of preference, but I am not a fan of this place.

More reviews of Tiong Bahru Bakery

Overall

Love their chocolate croissants!

I'be had their tarts as well but the chocolate croissants are what keep me coming back time and time again... The people their are so nice and friendly too.

Missy missy

Really overated. The crossaint was served cold and it does not taste yummy at all. Delifrance or any neighbourhood bakeries served much bettet ctossaints!!Seriously overrated

Savory Croissants

Full review: http://www.jacqsowhat.com/2015/07/tiong-bahru-bakery-launched-savoury.html

Tried the new savory croissants which took inspiration from dishes we all love today - molten egg ramen, onion jam with sausage, xiao long bao and salmon and spinach. Interesting rendition. My favorite pick would be the flying pig also known as onion jam with sausage, goes really well with the flaky pastry dough.

Something you can't miss when dining at Tiong Bahru Bakery, their signature Kouign Amann $3.50. A Breton cake containing salted butter and sugar round the pastry puff. This is officially my favorite item here and will always go back for this. Despite a higher price tag for pastries here, some of the favorites do keep me coming back for more. Anyway, the four new savory croissants are available from 1130am - 3pm daily, at all Tiong Bahru Bakery outlets.

Savoury Croissants with an Asian Twist

Full review and pics on www.dairycream.blogspot.com

Recently tried their new savoury croissants and my favourite was the "Flying Pig" out of the four.
the sparkling chemistry between the subtly spiced chorizos and the sweet caramelized onion jam in the "Flying Pig" left me clamouring for more. Its miso dressing did not overpower the dish and I wouldn't even mind if the sausage was spammed with even more of the tasty onion relish on top.

Speaking of the "Rolling Dumpling", I would not have guess that it was inspired from Xiao Long Bao if not for the menu description as it lacked the distinctive traits of this classic chinese dumpling such as the slurpy pork broth. Yes, there were pickled ginger and succulent minced meat but the black vinegar dressing could not lift up the dish.

Super disappointed

I was so excited about eating here - recommended by so many people I know. The ambience and the setting were alright but the food did not live up to the expectation. I had the lava cake - it was not as hot as it is supposed to be, the texture was weird and the top of the cake was burnt. The "pearfect" juice was everything but perfect : the celery leaves were rotten and there was weird foam on top. It looked like a dirty aquarium. The staff was not especiallt friendly - not even bringing me a forl with my cake. Overall, the experience was poor. It is definitly overrated.