Review for Todai

AsianFusionInternationalJapaneseKorean
Address: #B2-01A, Marina Bay Sands, 2 Bayfront Avenue, 018956
12 May 2014
Overall

very bad service only so so food

Not deserve for the price, never ever come again. Very bad service, arrogant waiters, no reason for anyone to come again.
The management of Todai responded to this review:
26 May 2014
Dear Lindam,

We apologize for the unpleasant experiences that you encountered when dining with us.

Please be assured that we will look into these matters seriously and look forward to serve you better.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,
The Management
TODAI

More reviews of Todai

Overall

Worth it – even if only for the fresh, sweet, juicy Alaskan snow crabs

I was recently invited to a tasting session at TODAI, an international all-you-can-eat buffet chain restaurant located at The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands, and totally jumped at the chance. You see, I love buffets, and the many types of food that come with it. Variety is the spice of life, right. And oh, did this place have variety. From fresh seafood, to Korean, Chinese, Italian, Western, TODAI had these and more.

Personally, I felt that the highlight of the buffet was definitely the Alaskan snow crab station. Piled high on a bed of ice, these goodies disappeared at the blink of an eye but were replenished quite quickly by the staff. Biting into the big fat leg of the crab resulted in sweet, delicious juice bursting into song in my mouth, seriously making me swoon. Dry is definitely not a word that exists in the realm of this dish – each and every piece was so juicy (I had about 4 or 5 pieces), tender and sweet in a fresh seafood sort of way (not in the dessert or processed sugar kind of way). So. Good.

The freshly shucked oysters were of pretty good quality and taste as well – they tasted fresh, were fairly plump and juicy, and weren’t grainy or sandy. They only allowed people to take 2 pieces at a time; which actually if you think about it, is quite a good system, not only to prevent hoggers and allow more people to enjoy them, but also to help ensure that you get a positive experience which won’t happen if you leave them on the table for too long. Also tried the fresh mussels and prawns – the mussels were good too, nice and firm and fresh; the prawns were okay, fresh too but I felt were a bit bland, not sweet enough for me.

This two-each-time rule also applied to the chilli crabs – but they were so popular and had an insanely long queue that I didn’t try them in the end. The sauce was not bad though, had quite a kick and wasn’t too sweet.

TODAI had sashimi and also a very wide selection of sushi as well – but unfortunately although the variety and innovativeness (quite unusual flavours of sushi) for the latter was there, the rice and general presentation of garnishes piled onto them looked kind of messy and unappealing (and plus, the dish is really very carb loaded), so I just had three for taste – and they were just okay. As for the sashimi, there were only salmon and tuna available, and were also so-so as well – I’d say save the space for the other fresh seafood items.

Or even for the oven baked / grilled / fried items (all around the same station) or Chinese dishes – these were actually surprisingly good as well. In particular I liked the baked salmon, garlic chicken wing, beef shortrib, steamed fish, yam and red bean ball, and the caramel and fig duck (in the pictures below). From the Korean station, the thick glass noodles were yummy – light and savoury and the pan-fried fish coated in egg, delightful. The seafood pancake was a bit doughy though.

From the appetizers station, I really enjoyed the cold preserved seaweed, curry tuna mashed potatoes that were really tasty – and the rest were not too bad as well – sautéed mushrooms and garlic, smoked duck, and roast beef carpaccio. And from the churrasco section, the steak, roast pork and grilled mushrooms were pretty good, juicy and flavourful – but it seemed like a matter of luck as to whether you are able to get any of these; only if you happen to be there when the chef is cooking up a batch. But I didn’t really try asking though, as someone from our table was in luck and got a plate of each of the two earlier mentioned meats, so perhaps asking would yield some results.

So much food right? And there’s more – an Italian counter, which I never got around to trying. A small dim sum corner, which I took a token siew mai from – tasted alright. A Japanese zaru soba counter, a salad counter. There was also a comprehensive drink counter with a wide selection including soft drinks, water, green tea, flavoured teas and yes, you read it right, Milo. I think they were trying to add some local flavour – well, the drink was a hit at our table. Crazy amount of food displayed at this place – pretty much able to provide something for almost everyone, I believe.

And of course, we can’t forget about dessert! The spread for this was pretty impressive as well, with an entire macaron tower, a soft serve ice cream machine (that allows you to do the vanilla and chocolate twist, I’m sold), and also little plates and glasses of sweet treats. By this time I had really little space left, so I just had a small banana chocolate mousse and some tiramisu ganache looking cake, as well as a twist of soft serve smothered with lots of nuts. The little cakes were quite nice, smooth and lightly sweet, though I didn’t quite fancy the very cake-y base. The soft serve well… tasted like regular soft serve, but the nuts made it awesome – though some chocolate sauce would’ve improved it a bit further – it was a pleasant finish to a rather large, satisfying meal.

Overall I was really quite happy with the quality and variety of the food, the ambience, service (I heard most of the staff are Koreans, and while they may not understand English that well, they were all pretty friendly and efficient), and feel that it is good value for the price. My only gripe is that I spotted one or two flies hovering about in the restaurant – which is something I don’t quite like. However I also found out that the management is aware of the issue (which apparently came with the premises) and has been actively working on this and spending a lot of time and money on solving it, so that’s good enough for me. One or two flies are fine to me as long as they don’t get too near the food and the place is in the midst of getting rid of them.

Also, some items are seasonal and they try to refresh their menu once in a while to keep regulars interested, and they have a monthly theme as well – when I went last week there was a ‘kimchi’ theme and so there was an extended selection of various kimchi types available for diners to sample. They also stated on their placemat that no MSG is used in their food, which is great, actually. I was kind of thirsty after the dinner though; perhaps the food did have a bit more of other types of seasoning instead.

Comparable to and I feel, even better than some international hotel buffets.

For more details and pictures, please visit my food blog Ingredients Of Happiness at: http://bit.ly/IOH_TodaiSG.

awesome Seafood extravaganza todai for

Great seafood buffet with Alaskan king crabs, snow crabs, oysters, tuna and salmon sashimi. Many other various cooked food and excellent service from staff to clean up the plates. Visit http://theaugbunnies.blogspot.com/2016/01/food-review-todai-awesome-seafood.html for in depth review

Good food , VERY POOR service

Huge food selection, most food taste delicious.. However, very poor customer service! Imagine being chased off halfway while you eat. Have to even negotiate with the waiter for time to finish up our food. Just imagine. Not very pleasant.
Management response from Todai, published 17 Dec 2015
Dear LISA WANG, Thank you for your feedback in regards to your dining experience at TODAI. We are glad that you enjoyed the dishes but we are sorry to hear your bad experience with the service crew. Providing good service to our valued customers has always been our mission and it is with regrets that we failed to serve you well during your visit. Please allow us to bring your comments back to the team and we hope to serve you better next time! Yours sincerely, The Management TODAI

Korean Seafood Daze

for more pics, please [click here]

Korean Seafood Day brought to us by Ministry of Oceans & Fisheries and the Korea Fishery Trade Association. An event showcasing the best catches air-flown off the Korean peninsula, seafood that is not only consumed as staple for the locals, but for export to neighbors Japan & China, as well as Thailand.

Featuring the renowned Chef Shin with more than a quarter of a century of sushi culinary experience under his belt, runs his own sushi restaurant Hoya Tuna Sushi – touted to be among the best in Seoul.

When it comes to seafood buffet, TODAI is today no longer a stranger to the local foodies. However, with this new injection and show of support from the Korean Ministry, diners can expect some brow raising experience.

Don’t be fooled by the generic name – Sushi. Therein lies deep gastronomic philosophy in the execution of knife strokes, as well as the state of the fish. Apart from the mainstream ‘Kimbap’, there is adaptation of the sashimi and nigari sushi.

The meatarian that I am, I have to say that I’m awed by the crunch & spring factor in the cuts of the Korean style. It’s a stark contrast to the commonly found Japanese styled strokes, where the flesh is softer. The crunch & spring in each bite brings out a slightly stronger sea fresh element.

As for the grills and pan fries, it’s quite evident that seasonings are used moderate, allowing the sea salt to shine though.

Keep a look out for the fish roe bibimbap. I’m not a fan of carbohydrates, but I found myself cleaning up the bowl.

All in all, I have to say that the highlights were jaw gapping and satiating.

Todai - Korean Seaffod

While Todai is already well know for the Alaskan crab, and other delicious food,  they will be introducing Korean seafood into the menu soon.

Food:  We were entertained to a sashimi preparing exercise by Chef Shin from the famous Hoya Sushi restaurant in Seoul.  We had the pleasure to taste the following specialities sashimi
-  Korean abolone,  farmed in a sustainable measure - crunchy and chewy but not strong flavour.
-  Halibut a flat fish,  also farmed, first time tasting it,  rather crunchy and firm
-  Amberjack (Hamachi) excellent.

Apparently these fish are sold to Japan for the sashimi served there.
We also had the taste of flower crab in miso sauce,  raw prawns seasoned with soy sauce and ablone cooked in soy sauce. Salmon in Teriyaki sauce, steamed Octopus with Pine mushroom.  Finishing off with a lovely dessert of squid ink sweet cake and coffee tartlet.

An intersting meal with unique sahimi from Korea.

Value:  Good value, some credit cards offer discounts.

Ambience:  Lovely set up,  food service,  other delicious dishes and drinks.

Service:  Good.