Reviews for Todai

AsianFusionInternationalJapaneseKorean
Address: #B2-01A, Marina Bay Sands, 2 Bayfront Avenue, 018956
03 Aug 2012
Overall

Worth it – even if only for the fresh, sweet, juicy Alaskan snow crabs

I was recently invited to a tasting session at TODAI, an international all-you-can-eat buffet chain restaurant located at The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands, and totally jumped at the chance. You see, I love buffets, and the many types of food that come with it. Variety is the spice of life, right. And oh, did this place have variety. From fresh seafood, to Korean, Chinese, Italian, Western, TODAI had these and more.

Personally, I felt that the highlight of the buffet was definitely the Alaskan snow crab station. Piled high on a bed of ice, these goodies disappeared at the blink of an eye but were replenished quite quickly by the staff. Biting into the big fat leg of the crab resulted in sweet, delicious juice bursting into song in my mouth, seriously making me swoon. Dry is definitely not a word that exists in the realm of this dish – each and every piece was so juicy (I had about 4 or 5 pieces), tender and sweet in a fresh seafood sort of way (not in the dessert or processed sugar kind of way). So. Good.

The freshly shucked oysters were of pretty good quality and taste as well – they tasted fresh, were fairly plump and juicy, and weren’t grainy or sandy. They only allowed people to take 2 pieces at a time; which actually if you think about it, is quite a good system, not only to prevent hoggers and allow more people to enjoy them, but also to help ensure that you get a positive experience which won’t happen if you leave them on the table for too long. Also tried the fresh mussels and prawns – the mussels were good too, nice and firm and fresh; the prawns were okay, fresh too but I felt were a bit bland, not sweet enough for me.

This two-each-time rule also applied to the chilli crabs – but they were so popular and had an insanely long queue that I didn’t try them in the end. The sauce was not bad though, had quite a kick and wasn’t too sweet.

TODAI had sashimi and also a very wide selection of sushi as well – but unfortunately although the variety and innovativeness (quite unusual flavours of sushi) for the latter was there, the rice and general presentation of garnishes piled onto them looked kind of messy and unappealing (and plus, the dish is really very carb loaded), so I just had three for taste – and they were just okay. As for the sashimi, there were only salmon and tuna available, and were also so-so as well – I’d say save the space for the other fresh seafood items.

Or even for the oven baked / grilled / fried items (all around the same station) or Chinese dishes – these were actually surprisingly good as well. In particular I liked the baked salmon, garlic chicken wing, beef shortrib, steamed fish, yam and red bean ball, and the caramel and fig duck (in the pictures below). From the Korean station, the thick glass noodles were yummy – light and savoury and the pan-fried fish coated in egg, delightful. The seafood pancake was a bit doughy though.

From the appetizers station, I really enjoyed the cold preserved seaweed, curry tuna mashed potatoes that were really tasty – and the rest were not too bad as well – sautéed mushrooms and garlic, smoked duck, and roast beef carpaccio. And from the churrasco section, the steak, roast pork and grilled mushrooms were pretty good, juicy and flavourful – but it seemed like a matter of luck as to whether you are able to get any of these; only if you happen to be there when the chef is cooking up a batch. But I didn’t really try asking though, as someone from our table was in luck and got a plate of each of the two earlier mentioned meats, so perhaps asking would yield some results.

So much food right? And there’s more – an Italian counter, which I never got around to trying. A small dim sum corner, which I took a token siew mai from – tasted alright. A Japanese zaru soba counter, a salad counter. There was also a comprehensive drink counter with a wide selection including soft drinks, water, green tea, flavoured teas and yes, you read it right, Milo. I think they were trying to add some local flavour – well, the drink was a hit at our table. Crazy amount of food displayed at this place – pretty much able to provide something for almost everyone, I believe.

And of course, we can’t forget about dessert! The spread for this was pretty impressive as well, with an entire macaron tower, a soft serve ice cream machine (that allows you to do the vanilla and chocolate twist, I’m sold), and also little plates and glasses of sweet treats. By this time I had really little space left, so I just had a small banana chocolate mousse and some tiramisu ganache looking cake, as well as a twist of soft serve smothered with lots of nuts. The little cakes were quite nice, smooth and lightly sweet, though I didn’t quite fancy the very cake-y base. The soft serve well… tasted like regular soft serve, but the nuts made it awesome – though some chocolate sauce would’ve improved it a bit further – it was a pleasant finish to a rather large, satisfying meal.

Overall I was really quite happy with the quality and variety of the food, the ambience, service (I heard most of the staff are Koreans, and while they may not understand English that well, they were all pretty friendly and efficient), and feel that it is good value for the price. My only gripe is that I spotted one or two flies hovering about in the restaurant – which is something I don’t quite like. However I also found out that the management is aware of the issue (which apparently came with the premises) and has been actively working on this and spending a lot of time and money on solving it, so that’s good enough for me. One or two flies are fine to me as long as they don’t get too near the food and the place is in the midst of getting rid of them.

Also, some items are seasonal and they try to refresh their menu once in a while to keep regulars interested, and they have a monthly theme as well – when I went last week there was a ‘kimchi’ theme and so there was an extended selection of various kimchi types available for diners to sample. They also stated on their placemat that no MSG is used in their food, which is great, actually. I was kind of thirsty after the dinner though; perhaps the food did have a bit more of other types of seasoning instead.

Comparable to and I feel, even better than some international hotel buffets.

For more details and pictures, please visit my food blog Ingredients Of Happiness at: http://bit.ly/IOH_TodaiSG.

crabs, oysters, baked salmon

More reviews of Todai

Overall

Only Alaskan snow crabs is valuable meal

The selling point is their offer snow crab, I have tried their snow crab during Thurs Lunch  hour which is minimum package.

The snow crab taste is freshly and sweet but it is meatless. I have grab out meat from 3 crab arm and merely get so less volume of meat (show as above image).Other seafood is like mussel, tiny octopus but we can just ignore it.

The sashimi cheft is stingy, he's slice salmon util minimize size, and they only offer 1 type of sashimi that is salmon.The sushi size is ridiculous tiny but taste quite surprisingly good.

Please visit my food blog
SGMY
Management response from Todai, published 17 Mar 2014
Dear Websterlkc, Thank you for coming to Todai. We are glad that you enjoyed the snow crab. At the same time, we are also sorry that you felt that the sashimi cuts were a little small. As a buffet, the reason why we do this is to reduce wastage and you are definitely welcome to come back for as many rounds as possible. We look forward to having you dining with us again soon. Best Regards, The Management Todai

wide range of seafood

Can get to taste wide variety of seafood n the more expensive options Great ambience but price is a bit too expensive

flies!

Though much variety of food, quite disappointed to find lots of flies in the restaurant. lots of machines (coffee maker & ice cream maker) was down during visit.
Management response from Todai, published 14 Mar 2014
Dear Eilyn Tan, Thank you for choosing to dine with us at Todai. We apologize for what you experienced. Your feedback is very important to us and we will definitely look into these matters. We hope to have you dining with us again soon. Best Regards, The Management Todai
Overall

Too slow to replenish, long queue

Food is so so though variety is good Replenish is slow to catch up with the crowd, queue formed. When at your turn, they served you with 1 tiny slide of suckling pig. S$75 nett per person better off somewhere else.
Management response from Todai, published 13 Feb 2014
Dear Think2say Thank you for your feedback in regards to your dining experience at TODAI. We would like to apologize for the delay that you encountered. As for price point, it is due to the great value that TODAI provides, including abalone, Alaskan king crab, snow crab and a host of international items then. For this month, we had added Golden Crab from Atlantic Ocean. We look forward to have you dining with us soon again. Best Regards The Management TODAI
Overall

There are better places for buffet at such price

Unless you can wallop down ALOT of Hokkaido crab, this is not the place for your to go.

There seems to be a good spread of food, but the food is just really normal. Not top quality. The rost beef is decent, but the rest are not something I am dying to try again. The type of food is like ze char, family cooking.

Place is noisy and quite messy. For MBS to have such eatery, I am quite surprised. Floor was wet especially near the basin area, so you better be careful when you are walking around taking food. You can forget about having service there, cos the wait staff were just there clearing up tables. Well, afterall it's buffet right? LOL. But I recall there are better service elsewhere when I pay such price for a buffet or less.

To pay $60 per pax for such food and place, no way. I was there cos someone hosted a gathering there. You know what I mean right?