Summary

Service3
crabs, Alaskan King crab, Sushi, sashimi, oysters, Dessert, BBQed beef ribs, strawberry, scallops, roast beef juicy pork belly, grilled pork belly, Chilli crab, golden crab, mushrooms, prawns, salmon belly sushi, snow crab, volcano sushi, Beef Terrine, Blueberry chicken, Butterfly fish in yuzu sauce, Churrasco, Escargot, Fry, Grill & Oven Food, Ginseng Tempura, Japchae, Jollof Rice, Miyeokguk, Red Crab, Steamed Buns, Tempura spread Cream puff, Xiu Tao, abalone, apple roasted duck, baked salmon, beef flanks, chilli crayfish, choco sundae, cod fish, fried rice, gratin clam, kimchi, macarons, oxtail stew, rice & roe, sashimi, oysters, crab, shell fish, shishamo, short ribs, smoked duck, tempura, tenderloin, teriyaki chicken, yogurt drink View all
Buffet, Children/Family, Dinner, Large Groups/Gathering, Vibrant/Noisy, After Work, Lunch, Birthdays, Boys Night Out, Business Dining, Corporate Events, Girls Night Out, Large Groups, Anniversary, Chillout, Hidden Find, Wheelchair Friendly, Night Out, Private Dining, Wine Lists, High Tea, Live Band, People Watching View all

Worth it – even if only for the fresh, sweet, juicy Alaskan snow crabs

I was recently invited to a tasting session at TODAI, an international all-you-can-eat buffet chain restaurant located at The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands, and totally jumped at the chance. You see, I love buffets, and the many types of food that come with it. Variety is the spice of life, right. And oh, did this place have variety. From fresh seafood, to Korean, Chinese, Italian, Western, TODAI had these and more.

Personally, I felt that the highlight of the buffet was definitely the Alaskan snow crab station. Piled high on a bed of ice, these goodies disappeared at the blink of an eye but were replenished quite quickly by the staff. Biting into the big fat leg of the crab resulted in sweet, delicious juice bursting into song in my mouth, seriously making me swoon. Dry is definitely not a word that exists in the realm of this dish – each and every piece was so juicy (I had about 4 or 5 pieces), tender and sweet in a fresh seafood sort of way (not in the dessert or processed sugar kind of way). So. Good.

The freshly shucked oysters were of pretty good quality and taste as well – they tasted fresh, were fairly plump and juicy, and weren’t grainy or sandy. They only allowed people to take 2 pieces at a time; which actually if you think about it, is quite a good system, not only to prevent hoggers and allow more people to enjoy them, but also to help ensure that you get a positive experience which won’t happen if you leave them on the table for too long. Also tried the fresh mussels and prawns – the mussels were good too, nice and firm and fresh; the prawns were okay, fresh too but I felt were a bit bland, not sweet enough for me.

This two-each-time rule also applied to the chilli crabs – but they were so popular and had an insanely long queue that I didn’t try them in the end. The sauce was not bad though, had quite a kick and wasn’t too sweet.

TODAI had sashimi and also a very wide selection of sushi as well – but unfortunately although the variety and innovativeness (quite unusual flavours of sushi) for the latter was there, the rice and general presentation of garnishes piled onto them looked kind of messy and unappealing (and plus, the dish is really very carb loaded), so I just had three for taste – and they were just okay. As for the sashimi, there were only salmon and tuna available, and were also so-so as well – I’d say save the space for the other fresh seafood items.

Or even for the oven baked / grilled / fried items (all around the same station) or Chinese dishes – these were actually surprisingly good as well. In particular I liked the baked salmon, garlic chicken wing, beef shortrib, steamed fish, yam and red bean ball, and the caramel and fig duck (in the pictures below). From the Korean station, the thick glass noodles were yummy – light and savoury and the pan-fried fish coated in egg, delightful. The seafood pancake was a bit doughy though.

From the appetizers station, I really enjoyed the cold preserved seaweed, curry tuna mashed potatoes that were really tasty – and the rest were not too bad as well – sautéed mushrooms and garlic, smoked duck, and roast beef carpaccio. And from the churrasco section, the steak, roast pork and grilled mushrooms were pretty good, juicy and flavourful – but it seemed like a matter of luck as to whether you are able to get any of these; only if you happen to be there when the chef is cooking up a batch. But I didn’t really try asking though, as someone from our table was in luck and got a plate of each of the two earlier mentioned meats, so perhaps asking would yield some results.

So much food right? And there’s more – an Italian counter, which I never got around to trying. A small dim sum corner, which I took a token siew mai from – tasted alright. A Japanese zaru soba counter, a salad counter. There was also a comprehensive drink counter with a wide selection including soft drinks, water, green tea, flavoured teas and yes, you read it right, Milo. I think they were trying to add some local flavour – well, the drink was a hit at our table. Crazy amount of food displayed at this place – pretty much able to provide something for almost everyone, I believe.

And of course, we can’t forget about dessert! The spread for this was pretty impressive as well, with an entire macaron tower, a soft serve ice cream machine (that allows you to do the vanilla and chocolate twist, I’m sold), and also little plates and glasses of sweet treats. By this time I had really little space left, so I just had a small banana chocolate mousse and some tiramisu ganache looking cake, as well as a twist of soft serve smothered with lots of nuts. The little cakes were quite nice, smooth and lightly sweet, though I didn’t quite fancy the very cake-y base. The soft serve well… tasted like regular soft serve, but the nuts made it awesome – though some chocolate sauce would’ve improved it a bit further – it was a pleasant finish to a rather large, satisfying meal.

Overall I was really quite happy with the quality and variety of the food, the ambience, service (I heard most of the staff are Koreans, and while they may not understand English that well, they were all pretty friendly and efficient), and feel that it is good value for the price. My only gripe is that I spotted one or two flies hovering about in the restaurant – which is something I don’t quite like. However I also found out that the management is aware of the issue (which apparently came with the premises) and has been actively working on this and spending a lot of time and money on solving it, so that’s good enough for me. One or two flies are fine to me as long as they don’t get too near the food and the place is in the midst of getting rid of them.

Also, some items are seasonal and they try to refresh their menu once in a while to keep regulars interested, and they have a monthly theme as well – when I went last week there was a ‘kimchi’ theme and so there was an extended selection of various kimchi types available for diners to sample. They also stated on their placemat that no MSG is used in their food, which is great, actually. I was kind of thirsty after the dinner though; perhaps the food did have a bit more of other types of seasoning instead.

Comparable to and I feel, even better than some international hotel buffets.

For more details and pictures, please visit my food blog Ingredients Of Happiness at: http://bit.ly/IOH_TodaiSG.

Most helpful reviews for Todai

Good food , VERY POOR service

Huge food selection, most food taste delicious.. However, very poor customer service! Imagine being chased off halfway while you eat. Have to even negotiate with the waiter for time to finish up our food. Just imagine. Not very pleasant.

17 Dec 2015
Dear LISA WANG, Thank you for your feedback in regards to your dining experience at TODAI. We are glad that you enjoyed the dishes but we are sorry to hear your bad experience with the service crew. Providing good service to our valued customers has always been our mission and it is with regrets that we failed to serve you well during your visit. Please allow us to bring your comments back to the team and we hope to serve you better next time! Yours sincerely, The Management TODAI

Very disappointed

Very disappointed on 2 counts. First, the food. The food was ordinary as international buffets go. The main disappointment that a lot of dishes were left empty as early as at 7.30 pm! We waited 1.5 hours for the chawanmushi to appear, and it only did after we asked for it almost 2 hours later. The chili crab dish had chili but no crab for a long time.

Second, the service was not good. The lady at the reseravation desk was not helpful and made very effort to help us find a table.

20 Mar 2014
Dear Kiddy Doctor, Thank you for dining with us at TODAI. We would like to apologize for the poor experience which you encountered. We take your feedback seriously and will emphasize on the importance of timeline at the next meeting. We hope to have you dining with us at TODAI again. Best Regards, TODAI The Management

Too slow to replenish, long queue

Food is so so though variety is good Replenish is slow to catch up with the crowd, queue formed. When at your turn, they served you with 1 tiny slide of suckling pig. S$75 nett per person better off somewhere else.

13 Feb 2014
Dear Think2say Thank you for your feedback in regards to your dining experience at TODAI. We would like to apologize for the delay that you encountered. As for price point, it is due to the great value that TODAI provides, including abalone, Alaskan king crab, snow crab and a host of international items then. For this month, we had added Golden Crab from Atlantic Ocean. We look forward to have you dining with us soon again. Best Regards The Management TODAI

There are better places for buffet at such price

Unless you can wallop down ALOT of Hokkaido crab, this is not the place for your to go.

There seems to be a good spread of food, but the food is just really normal. Not top quality. The rost beef is decent, but the rest are not something I am dying to try again. The type of food is like ze char, family cooking.

Place is noisy and quite messy. For MBS to have such eatery, I am quite surprised. Floor was wet especially near the basin area, so you better be careful when you are walking around taking food. You can forget about having service there, cos the wait staff were just there clearing up tables. Well, afterall it's buffet right? LOL. But I recall there are better service elsewhere when I pay such price for a buffet or less.

To pay $60 per pax for such food and place, no way. I was there cos someone hosted a gathering there. You know what I mean right?

Nothing to rave about

Had heard from friends' raving about the food and decided to try it out with hubby and 2 other friends. The place is big but reservations are recommended. No doubt there's a wide selection of food variety, but the quality of food is just okay, nothing that 'wowed' us actually. Had the Alaskan crabs, but not all are fresh. Hubby commented oysters from Straits Kitchen taste better. Never had a chance to taste the chilli crab as it's always empty (only left the gravy) despite us going to the buffet spread many times to check it out. Saw the beautiful macarons tower from the website, however, when I was at the desserts area, no macarons can be seen. Well, maybe we had chosen the wrong day to go as food was not replenished consistently and when I try to ask the chef, there was no response.  Felt that the money spent was not worth it especially when it's above the average buffet price.  All in all, I find that they should have the ability and efficiency to replenish the food (not only the chilli crab, some of the other food was also never replenish after my first round) especially when they know there's a crowd. Were very disappointed indeed as our expectations were high after hearing from our friends' feedback.