Back to Todai#B2-01A, Marina Bay Sands, 2 Bayfront Avenue

Wine Lists3 votes

NishaHeallmy
 • 02 May 2014 2 reviews 0 follower
Overall
I went for dinner there with my fiancé yesterday! The new spread was a delightful surprise!

My favourite was the Alaskan Crab Festival because there were 4 types of crabs to choose from; snow, golden, red and King Crab! They changed most of the food items in the buffet line so we got to try a lot of new things last night. The Carpaccio and Gravlax was really good, and we kept topping up on the half-shell scallop. Can't wait to go back there to try the rest of the items since we could not try all the new dishes in one meal. Nonetheless, it was a very fulfilling dinner date.

Must tries: crabs, Alaskan King crab, Alaskan Crab Festival

Buffet

Management

Dear NishaHeallmy,

Thank you for dining with us at TODAI.

We are glad to know you and your fiancé like the Carpaccio and Gravlax. Be sure to be back soon for the other new items.

We look forward to have both of you dining with us again.

Yours faithfully,
The Management
TODAI

07 May 2014

Selene123
 • 04 Apr 2014 2 reviews 0 follower
Overall
I m not pleased with the service. The female staffs were bitchy and rude. Food wise sushi was so small. Snow crab legs were tiny compared to the advertisements on the website. Servings for oysters were served 2 each time. Not good as other buffets for example Goodwood park served out a bunch of oysters at a time. Cooked food was soso. Pricey at $65++. The tiny macroons were cute though....

Caleb Lim
 • 03 Apr 2014 245 reviews 39 followers
Overall
This is my 2nd food tasting at Todai, the 1st one was about 2 years ago. Drawing from some insights from a few design week talks I attended, here’s some of my thoughts on what will bringing me back to Todai as a paying customer.
I was surprised that the layout and most of the food selection have remained unchanged. Maybe a review of the food items and change/rotate 10-20% of the less popular ones every 3-6 mths will keep the buffet interesting. The strawberry promotion is one good idea and there should be more of it.
Most people get their value (and Todai incur bulk of their cost) on the main seafood items: Salmon Sashimi/Tuna Sashimi, Alaskan crab, oyster. Based on some of the reviews, the supply delay/disruption of these premium items draws strong emotions. So these items should be managed properly i.e. ensure no stock out at anytime but place a manager to regulate the supply tactfully.
There are rows of empty tables and chairs outside the restaurant meant to accommodate more people but can give passer-bys the impression that the restaurant is empty.
Todai is sandwiched between cheaper seafood buffets options like Vienna International Seafood & Teppanyaki Restaurant (HGW rating of 43%) and hotel buffets like The Line (HGW rating of 71%). Its rating of 51% shows that. Browsing through some of the seafood buffet reviews, I noticed that people have a love-hate relationship with buffets. Some love it and some hate it with not much of an in between. One thing that draws people to buffets is promotions which reinforces the value-for-money draw of buffets. Maybe Todai can offer 1 for 1 coupons to customers to draw them for repeat visits with their friends. The current pricing for weekday dinner is Adult: S$58++ Child (below 1m 30cm): S$26++. I know that kids love the selection at buffets but they don’t eat much, especially not much of the premium seafood items. How about a kid below 1.3m eat free with an accompanying adult? I am sure my kids will beg/blackmail me to bring them to Todai.
Kitchen stations and food display are arranged to methodically, I mean you will never find a hotel buffet with food stations called …..Seafood, Pastries, Italian, Korean, Deep Fried, Chinese, Oven Baked probably carried over from the US design to orientate clueless Ang Mohs. How about doing away with the food groupings and make the signage for the individual food items more prominent? The open kitchen concepts also means that the food smell will linger on your clothes after your meal.
One will not expect much service from a buffet since it is largely self-service but I noticed that the predominantly Korean staff may not be fluent in English to handle any customer queries that arises and this will influence one’s decision to return. The English proficiency is also shown in the prompt but could-be-improved-English in sentences like “We will do a feedback to our Kitchen”