Reviews for Todai

AsianFusionInternationalJapaneseKorean
Address: #B2-01A, Marina Bay Sands, 2 Bayfront Avenue, 018956
03 Aug 2012
Overall

Worth it – even if only for the fresh, sweet, juicy Alaskan snow crabs

I was recently invited to a tasting session at TODAI, an international all-you-can-eat buffet chain restaurant located at The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands, and totally jumped at the chance. You see, I love buffets, and the many types of food that come with it. Variety is the spice of life, right. And oh, did this place have variety. From fresh seafood, to Korean, Chinese, Italian, Western, TODAI had these and more.

Personally, I felt that the highlight of the buffet was definitely the Alaskan snow crab station. Piled high on a bed of ice, these goodies disappeared at the blink of an eye but were replenished quite quickly by the staff. Biting into the big fat leg of the crab resulted in sweet, delicious juice bursting into song in my mouth, seriously making me swoon. Dry is definitely not a word that exists in the realm of this dish – each and every piece was so juicy (I had about 4 or 5 pieces), tender and sweet in a fresh seafood sort of way (not in the dessert or processed sugar kind of way). So. Good.

The freshly shucked oysters were of pretty good quality and taste as well – they tasted fresh, were fairly plump and juicy, and weren’t grainy or sandy. They only allowed people to take 2 pieces at a time; which actually if you think about it, is quite a good system, not only to prevent hoggers and allow more people to enjoy them, but also to help ensure that you get a positive experience which won’t happen if you leave them on the table for too long. Also tried the fresh mussels and prawns – the mussels were good too, nice and firm and fresh; the prawns were okay, fresh too but I felt were a bit bland, not sweet enough for me.

This two-each-time rule also applied to the chilli crabs – but they were so popular and had an insanely long queue that I didn’t try them in the end. The sauce was not bad though, had quite a kick and wasn’t too sweet.

TODAI had sashimi and also a very wide selection of sushi as well – but unfortunately although the variety and innovativeness (quite unusual flavours of sushi) for the latter was there, the rice and general presentation of garnishes piled onto them looked kind of messy and unappealing (and plus, the dish is really very carb loaded), so I just had three for taste – and they were just okay. As for the sashimi, there were only salmon and tuna available, and were also so-so as well – I’d say save the space for the other fresh seafood items.

Or even for the oven baked / grilled / fried items (all around the same station) or Chinese dishes – these were actually surprisingly good as well. In particular I liked the baked salmon, garlic chicken wing, beef shortrib, steamed fish, yam and red bean ball, and the caramel and fig duck (in the pictures below). From the Korean station, the thick glass noodles were yummy – light and savoury and the pan-fried fish coated in egg, delightful. The seafood pancake was a bit doughy though.

From the appetizers station, I really enjoyed the cold preserved seaweed, curry tuna mashed potatoes that were really tasty – and the rest were not too bad as well – sautéed mushrooms and garlic, smoked duck, and roast beef carpaccio. And from the churrasco section, the steak, roast pork and grilled mushrooms were pretty good, juicy and flavourful – but it seemed like a matter of luck as to whether you are able to get any of these; only if you happen to be there when the chef is cooking up a batch. But I didn’t really try asking though, as someone from our table was in luck and got a plate of each of the two earlier mentioned meats, so perhaps asking would yield some results.

So much food right? And there’s more – an Italian counter, which I never got around to trying. A small dim sum corner, which I took a token siew mai from – tasted alright. A Japanese zaru soba counter, a salad counter. There was also a comprehensive drink counter with a wide selection including soft drinks, water, green tea, flavoured teas and yes, you read it right, Milo. I think they were trying to add some local flavour – well, the drink was a hit at our table. Crazy amount of food displayed at this place – pretty much able to provide something for almost everyone, I believe.

And of course, we can’t forget about dessert! The spread for this was pretty impressive as well, with an entire macaron tower, a soft serve ice cream machine (that allows you to do the vanilla and chocolate twist, I’m sold), and also little plates and glasses of sweet treats. By this time I had really little space left, so I just had a small banana chocolate mousse and some tiramisu ganache looking cake, as well as a twist of soft serve smothered with lots of nuts. The little cakes were quite nice, smooth and lightly sweet, though I didn’t quite fancy the very cake-y base. The soft serve well… tasted like regular soft serve, but the nuts made it awesome – though some chocolate sauce would’ve improved it a bit further – it was a pleasant finish to a rather large, satisfying meal.

Overall I was really quite happy with the quality and variety of the food, the ambience, service (I heard most of the staff are Koreans, and while they may not understand English that well, they were all pretty friendly and efficient), and feel that it is good value for the price. My only gripe is that I spotted one or two flies hovering about in the restaurant – which is something I don’t quite like. However I also found out that the management is aware of the issue (which apparently came with the premises) and has been actively working on this and spending a lot of time and money on solving it, so that’s good enough for me. One or two flies are fine to me as long as they don’t get too near the food and the place is in the midst of getting rid of them.

Also, some items are seasonal and they try to refresh their menu once in a while to keep regulars interested, and they have a monthly theme as well – when I went last week there was a ‘kimchi’ theme and so there was an extended selection of various kimchi types available for diners to sample. They also stated on their placemat that no MSG is used in their food, which is great, actually. I was kind of thirsty after the dinner though; perhaps the food did have a bit more of other types of seasoning instead.

Comparable to and I feel, even better than some international hotel buffets.

For more details and pictures, please visit my food blog Ingredients Of Happiness at: http://bit.ly/IOH_TodaiSG.

crabs, oysters, baked salmon

More reviews of Todai

Overall

Good ambience, rather pricey but quality of food is worth the money spend!

Good ambience, rather pricey but quality of food is worth the money spend!
Very wide variety of quality food choice, nothing was "out of stock", all were served in small quantity and promptly refilled when out.
Overall

Todai, buffet spread not worth the price.

Should you or should you not eat here. Quality over quantity but not worthy the price you pay. Definitely better ones out there

Lunch Buffet Deal

I have always wanted to try Todai as it is well known as the “Mother of all Seafoods”. Finally has the chance to visit the restaurant as we bought a deal S$38.00nett for lunch buffet on weekdays. We made prior reservation before heading to the restaurant to avoid any disappointment.
The restaurant is very spacious and huge compared to other buffet restaurants that I visited. Each section has their individual open concept kitchen where the chefs perform their tasks. All chefs are busy preparing for the foods and the display are nicely filled with beautiful decorated foods. Basically, chefs are doing their job on individual sections to ensure the turnover of foods servings.
There are quite a number of sections available such as Salads & cold cuts, sushi sashimi, italian pizza & pasta, meat & seafoods, desserts and more.
I personally enjoyed the salads section.There are quite a various selections for salads and are nicely presented on the display. It is something different from the usual buffets. Different kind of dressings are mixed with the ingredients. This tempts me to try all of it. Unlike most of the restaurants, salads bar does not have choices like these.
Live Italian pasta is available in request. Diners can request for the available choices of pasta of the day for chef to prepare on the spot. Foods are always taste better when it is served hot.
Korean section is available with some of the korean specialty foods at the section.Churrasco section has the well- grilled meats that are nicely grilled and juicy taste.

Desserts section is not to miss with its variety of desserts available on the counter. Crème brulee and different flavors of mini slices of cakes are available. The portion of the cakes is just perfect for buffet session. This can reduce the food wastage and diners able to taste a bit of everything.

The restaurant has an excellent culinary standard as the chefs delicately prepared the foods and did the art plating as well. Service staffs were prompt with their services. Plates are cleared away after I am back from my next serving. I will definitely visit to try the dinner session next round.
For more reviews and photos : http://hazeldiary.com/

Management response from Todai, published 08 Jul 2014
Dear Hazelleo, Thank you for dining with us at TODAI. We are pleased to know you had a pleasant dining experience. Do join us soon for the dinner buffet which has got more selections. We appreciate the kind review and look forward to serve you better again. Yours sincerely, The Management TODAI
Overall

Don't waste time! Worst Customer Service encountered!!

Brought Mum for Mother's Day lunch together with my siblings & son one weekday.
Selection of food barely make the cut. Lots of cuisine but mostly less than 5 choices. Sashimi looks dull and not fresh. Replacement of the popular food like crabs are slow. Dessert selection is bad. The first buffet gone with less than 3 desserts. Not even soft serve ice-cream is available for lunch.

No good food but hopefully have good services esp when the location is in MBS. But service is an utter disappointment. Service staffs can walk passed you ignoring you. Worst of all, the staffs actually turn off all the lights at 3pm when the restaurant closed, even though when there are 2 tables of guests around. They don't even have to courtesy to inform us that the restaurant is close so we can make our way out. It was so dark that we can't even pack our bag. When we ask them to turn on the light, the service staff can even argued that they are closed. What kind of attidue is this!! Terrible...Terrible...Terrible!!

It's a sheer waste of time to go there!!
Management response from Todai, published 08 Jul 2014
Dear FoodHunters, We were most concerned when we read about your feedback on the unpleasant experience that you had encountered. We sincerely empathize on the situation that happened and would like to apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused to you. Your feedback has proved to be priceless to us to further improve our journey of providing the best service in town. We certainly hope you that you’ll visit us the next time round for a better experience! Yours Sincerely, The Management TODAI

Worth a visit!

Lots of varieties to choose from! Live carving station, pasta station, korean, western, asian and yes the sushi looks awesomely attractive!

It was during the crab season when we visited TODAI. The golden and king crabs were so delicious till I couldn't bother much about the cholesterol haha.. TODAI has got the best steamed prawn at the cold section. Cold sections' prawns were usually tasteless I'd say, but TODAI's were so yummy! They were so fresh and sweet!

Would love TODAI to have more selections for desserts and sashimi.

Overall, I'm pleased with my visit to TODAI! :)