Back to Torte#01-07, Singapore Council of Women's Organisations...

Alfresco/Outdoor Dining9 votes
Pet Friendly4 votes
Breakfast3 votes

OddlesofNoodles
 • 08 Dec 2013 1 review 0 follower
Overall
It seems obvious that the reviewer below is trying to take a jab at the Chef at torte. If you are expecting something constructive or useful, look elsewhere.

I have been dining at torte for the past few months, usually 2- 3 times a week because of a zealous colleague who loves the homey, healthy and satisfying meals offered at torte. And while not every item on the menu is to die for, I have never once had a soggy fried fish ( I assuming you ( yup you, the troll reviewer below) are talking about is the chef's battered BASA FISH dish). I've had his basa fish many times and it is always served piping hot with a side of meclun salad and wedges. Also, the chef is very mindful of his standard of food, always coming out of the kitchen ever so often to chat with his customers about the food and life in general. I don't know where mr troll below had his soggy fish, but I can easily conclude that you either dined in the rain or you are just conjuring up lies.

Now that I've gotten what I needed to say off my chest, let me begin a simple review of torte.

I first came across torte about a year ago and can vouch that if it is consistency, healthy, value for money food you are looking for then you don't have to look too far.

Beef Goulash:
Served on top of fragrant arborio rice and a side of mesclun salad, the beef is tender and succulent, very aromatic with herbs and the gravy is full-bodied.

Roast chicken leg:
Served with arborio rice and mesclun salad or baked baby potatoes, the chicken is tender and juicy, falls off the bone..

Basa Fish:
Deep fried battered fish served piping hot with mesclun salad, wedges and tarte sauce. The batter is light and thin, fish is fresh. Portion is generous!

Duck confit:
Crispy duck leg with succulent flesh, seasoned well and has no gaminess at all. Served with mesclun salad and arborio rice.

Chocolate torte:
Served with or without ice cream. The chocolate torte is bittersweet, rich and dense. Very yummy.

Crème caramel:
I personally do not like too much gula melaka for this dessert, tends to overpower the natural taste of the pudding which is light. Ask for more or less gula melaka if you prefer.

Stewed apples with ice cream:
Warm stewed apples topped with cold ice cream. The contrast is good. Would be great with another textural element on top, like a crumble..

Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Breakfast, Brunch, Healthy Eating, Hidden Find, Lunch, Pet Friendly

Bing bong
 • 23 Sep 2013 1 review 0 follower
Overall
It is not as good as it used to be. I dont recommend this place anymore. The fried fish is soggy. I suspect they cooked the fish in advanced and just serve it. The fish was cold. The restaurant is abit messy and unkept as well. it was a totally turn off.

make your calories count
 • 12 Sep 2012 144 reviews 2 followers
Overall
For full review and pictures, please visit http://makeyourcaloriescount.blogspot.sg/2012/09/sg-torte.html

Hidden in a corner of SCWO (Singapore Council of Women's Organisations) at Waterloo Street, we were surprised to find this secret hideout almost full. We managed to occupy the last table available at about 8ish on a Friday night. Most were there for their rather affordable mains and of course, the torte for which their cafe is named after.

Creme Caramel with Gula Melaka ($4.50)

Afraid that we would get too jelat with just the chocolate torte and after finishing a rather fiery dinner, we decided to complement it with this chilled creme caramel, hoping to douse our tongues that were on fire. I was rather alarmed to see it being served in such small portion and it looked rather ready-made. As you can see, it's just the pudding at the bottom drizzled with gula melaka at the top. A rather fuss-free serving method I suppose.

There wasn't a tinge of caramel taste in it, unlike the traditional kind which would have a layer of caramel poured into the base before adding the custard. The caramel sauce on top was also substituted with gula melaka. The custard was a tad hard (imagine the agar kind of hardness) and the gula melaka lacked its coconut fragrance. The thick sauce became overly sweet for our liking and it would have been better if it wasn't so dense. It felt like thick sugar syrup drizzled over hardened custard pudding.

Verdict: 6.0/10

Chocolate Torte ($4.50)

Picture was taken immediately when served and well, I was slightly disappointed to see the presentation and the chef was even there to say the icecream had slipped off. I was shocked that the chef told us as a matter-of-fact that the ice cream had slipped and simply placed it on our table after that, serving the next table the exact same dessert with the ice cream intact. The ice cream was also very melted, and as we peered over the next table, it looked almost the same.

I shall not be biased, so beyond the presentation, I was actually quite interested to find out what a torte tastes like. Digging into the rich chocolate portion, it was extremely smooth and tasted just like a slightly harder version of pudding. It wasn't served warm as what we'd expected but I supposed the chilled version goes better with the smooth velvet texture of the torte. It was rich, yet not overpowering nor overly sweet, and didn't have the bitter taste of dark chocolates. It won me, the non chocolate lover, over and I thought this was one of the rare chocolate desserts that I actually enjoyed. It really depends though, as my friends thought it was a little too rich for their liking. I thought it went really well with the ice cream, though it would have been better if the ice cream wasn't on the verge of becoming milk shake right upon serving. It was very soft throughout, probably been placed outside for quite a while before it reached our table, or the fridge wasn't working very well.

Verdict: 8.0/10

A very small seating area, so go there either very early or rather late in order to get seats (their last order for dinner is at 8.30pm though). It's more suitable for small gatherings as the tables were all rather small and cramped. Longer benches could take about maximum 6 persons, but they only had 2 of that I think.

I'd probably return if I have chocolate cravings since this is a rare place where I like the way it was prepared. Service wise, I thought they weren't quite up to it as we were quite lost with their cues. After asking us to take a seat when we wanted to have a look at the menu inside and order immediately, they took quite a while to reach us and even the payment took quite a while. I'm still quite anal about the attitude towards the messed up presentation of the torte too, but taste wise, I would still recommend that you give their torte a shot.

They have rather different opening hours too and I've tried going there to a closed shop, so check out their opening hours before you head there!

Must tries: Chocolate Torte