Reviews for Torte

AsianEuropeanFusionItalianJapanese
OddlesofNoodles

Beware of the troll

It seems obvious that the reviewer below is trying to take a jab at the Chef at torte. If you are expecting something constructive or useful, look elsewhere.

I have been dining at torte for the past few months, usually 2- 3 times a week because of a zealous colleague who loves the homey, healthy and satisfying meals offered at torte. And while not every item on the menu is to die for, I have never once had a soggy fried fish ( I assuming you ( yup you, the troll reviewer below) are talking about is the chef's battered BASA FISH dish). I've had his basa fish many times and it is always served piping hot with a side of meclun salad and wedges. Also, the chef is very mindful of his standard of food, always coming out of the kitchen ever so often to chat with his customers about the food and life in general. I don't know where mr troll below had his soggy fish, but I can easily conclude that you either dined in the rain or you are just conjuring up lies.

Now that I've gotten what I needed to say off my chest, let me begin a simple review of torte.

I first came across torte about a year ago and can vouch that if it is consistency, healthy, value for money food you are looking for then you don't have to look too far.

Beef Goulash:
Served on top of fragrant arborio rice and a side of mesclun salad, the beef is tender and succulent, very aromatic with herbs and the gravy is full-bodied.

Roast chicken leg:
Served with arborio rice and mesclun salad or baked baby potatoes, the chicken is tender and juicy, falls off the bone..

Basa Fish:
Deep fried battered fish served piping hot with mesclun salad, wedges and tarte sauce. The batter is light and thin, fish is fresh. Portion is generous!

Duck confit:
Crispy duck leg with succulent flesh, seasoned well and has no gaminess at all. Served with mesclun salad and arborio rice.

Chocolate torte:
Served with or without ice cream. The chocolate torte is bittersweet, rich and dense. Very yummy.

Crème caramel:
I personally do not like too much gula melaka for this dessert, tends to overpower the natural taste of the pudding which is light. Ask for more or less gula melaka if you prefer.

Stewed apples with ice cream:
Warm stewed apples topped with cold ice cream. The contrast is good. Would be great with another textural element on top, like a crumble..

08 Dec 2013 • 1 review • 0 follower

Beware of the troll

23 Sep 2013 • 1 review • 0 follower

You will be better off somewhere else

It is not as good as it used to be. I dont recommend this place anymore. The fried fish is soggy. I suspect they cooked the fish in advanced and just serve it. The fish was cold. The restaurant is abit messy and unkept as well. it was a totally turn off.
12 Sep 2012 • 145 reviews • 3 followers

Good chocolate torte

For full review and pictures, please visit http://makeyourcaloriescount.blogspot.sg/2012/09/sg-torte.html

Hidden in a corner of SCWO (Singapore Council of Women's Organisations) at Waterloo Street, we were surprised to find this secret hideout almost full. We managed to occupy the last table available at about 8ish on a Friday night. Most were there for their rather affordable mains and of course, the torte for which their cafe is named after.

Creme Caramel with Gula Melaka ($4.50)

Afraid that we would get too jelat with just the chocolate torte and after finishing a rather fiery dinner, we