Back to Wo Peng Cuisine#03-01/02, Furama City Centre Hotel, 60 Eu...

Lui Kwang Fei
 • 11 Jun 2012 6 reviews 9 followers
Overall
We had a dim sum lunch at Wo Peng recently, thanks to a Groupon deal of 50% off cash voucher. I bought $30 of it, which means I have a $60 worth of cash vouchers to use at Wo Peng. Yipee !!

Wo Peng is located at the 3rd level of Furama Hotel, which to the unfamiliar, needs a bit getting used to. Furama is an old building, and the signage is not that helpful. Anyway, you need to exit the reception by the side, and can use the escalator to go to level 3, and you can see Wo Peng.

I ordered pretty conventional fare :

siew mai: 4 pcs, prawn on top, taste fresh, sweet

custard pao : 3 pcs, very generous with filling, but too watery for my liking

egg tart : 3 pcs, very flaky, we like

chicken feet : normal fare

cheong fun : 3 long strips, char siew is nice, but the skin is a let down

century egg porridge : generous serving, but ok taste only

The seating is comfortable, but it can get noisy after a while. You may note that they’ve got 2 dining time slots, 11am-1pm, and 1pm-2.30pm. So you’ll be nicely asked to vacate your table by 1pm. The total bill for everything plus tea, peanuts, etc comes up $63 odd, so with the groupon deal, I effectively spent

$33. For 3 people dining, we had a comfortable meal and felt full enough. Lucky me for groupon.

I wouldn’t say that the dim sum taste and flavours are great, and to me are conventional standards only. You can find better tasting fare

elsewhere. There seems to be a sense of disorganization

that Sunday afternoon, and many tables were left waiting for a pretty long time to get their dishes served, ours inclusive.

But it’s a family oriented place and for old loyals to Wo Peng, it still works for them.

Brunch, Lunch, Large Groups/Gathering, Children/Family, Weddings, Vibrant/Noisy

fatpig
 • 18 Jul 2011 465 reviews 68 followers
Overall
It was a homecoming of sorts as Chef Julian Tam of Wo Peng expanded on the Wo Peng brand name to include a new outlet at the site where he used to ply his trade years ago. Well almost.

Located on the 3rd floor of Furama Hotel, just one level below Furama Palace where Chef Tam used to preside over, Wo Peng carries a rather traditional Chinese decor with its gold table cloths and red carpet. They are probably targeting the older crowd.

Kampong Chicken - First thing that struck me about this dish was how yellow the chicken was. I have nothing against yellow chicken but this was really at one end of the scale. Initial shock aside, the chicken meat was tender but tasted merely like lightly salted chicken. Some people would probably appreciate the simplicity of it all, but not me. I personally prefer my chicken to be more flavourful.

Smoked Duck - The main reason why I love dining at Wo Peng - The ever so flavourful smoked duck. Although I must admit that standards at the Furama outlet seem to be a little lower than that of the Macpherson outlet, the duck still oozed goodness. Tender, reddish meat with smokey overtones. Tasted a little like ham. The 5 of us had the biggest serving but no, it still wasn't enough.

Stuffed Homemade Beancurd - This dish was something different. Meat paste surrounded by beancurd and wrapped up in beancurd skin. Personally I didn't find it fantastic as there was a mishmash of textures and no outstanding flavours.

Steamed Cod with Garlic - I love cod but this was a little overcooked which resulted in the flesh being firmer than desired. However, the copious amount of garlic atop managed to salvage the situation a little. I'm just biased because I love garlic too.

Asparagus with Scallop in XO Sauce - Plentiful scallops with the asparagus crunchy and not overcooked, what's not to like? Well, nothing except for maybe the price, which at $42++, was a little steep honestly.

With a $30 voucher I got from dining at Wo Peng's Macpherson outlet just a couple of weeks back, dinner for the 5 of us cost something to the tune of $137. Reasonable but save for the smoked duck, nothing else was good and portions weren't exactly big. I should probably just stick to the Macpherson outlet in future.