Reviews for (Closed) Xian Pin Guo Steamboat

AsianChineseSteamboat
vitamin c

Still the best steamboat for me.

I am a regular of xian pin guo and decided to write another review because of the recent groupon promo I have bought. However I am surprised with the review from kok wee lim and has to disagree with him on a few items. On the groupon promo, it was stated that seafood items and drinks are not included and they were not in small prints. And I thought $10.50 was really a very reasonable price to have a nice steamboat buffet....furthermore it is one of my fave steamboat buffet. And I realised all their reviews so far are pretty good too.

When I went there with my family on last Thursday, the service and food quality and taste remained as good as before. It was really a good dinner, also thinking the fact that it was ala-carte buffet and we were able to order as much as we could finish. The time we spent in looking for a carpark lot on that day was worthwhile. Having said that, I also hope the no. of carpark lots can be improved at that area.

10 Nov 2013 • 1 review • 0 follower

Great food but....

I have frequented this place since back when it first opened up for business.

The food has always been good and it still is - although it's rather pricey.  The soup base is peppery/rich and the fishball and beef is to die for.

However - one thing has definitely changed - the service and friendly staff.  I guess they were hungry for business when it first started business.  Now that it's gained a name for itself, the service standards has dropped quite badly.  Some of the staff border on being arrogant!  That spoils the dining experience for me.  I was just there this evening and the cashier's attitude left much to be desired.

Sad - cos this is my favourite steam boat place - but I dont think I am going back ever again.

07 May 2013 • 1 review • 0 follower

Great steamboat buffett spot

One+of+the+best+steamboat+places+around,+and+at+a+good+price

I strongly recommend the tom yam soup base - full of flavour.
The fish meat is fantastic, really soft and melts in your mouth, esp when immersed in the tom yam soup base
I like the chicken meat too and the fish balls

17 Dec 2012 • 4 reviews • 0 follower

Disappointing soup base, unsatisfying food, poor ambiance, less than welcoming service.

Visited Xian Pin Guo on my birthday (made a reservation there as I mistaken this restaurant for the one i originally desired) and it was such a disappointing birthday dinner.  It was a friday night and what first greeted me at the restaurant set the tone for what was to come. The restaurant was pretty much empty, barring the waitress and a man who was eating dinner there on his own.  My group of friends ordered the cooked ala-carte dishes first. Well there was nothing special about the house special prawns, sambal lala was sandy and I guess only the chicken drumlets were acceptable (honestly, it's difficult to go terribly wrong with drumlets).

We were there ultimately for the steamboat though thus we ordered the tomyam, chicken and herbal soup base for our 2 pots of steamboat. The tomyam tasted as unauthentic as you can imagine, the herbal soup was like plain water with the slightest hint of herbs, with only the chicken soup being passable. Any foodies will know a steamboat without a good soupbase will never be a good steamboat and... certainly that was the case here.  The sliced beef and pork were alright but the seafood selection was poor and definitely not fresh.

The ambiance and food had made the dinner pretty unpleasant, what made things worse was the waitress! Every now and then she will walked to our table to give us some weird look. No she was not trying to be attentive to see if we need any of her service. She was actually trying to check if we did finish our food! She kept warning us they charge for wastage and this when we did not order much at all!

Granted the whole dinner was not expensive at $16++ per pax however, I rather pay $50-100 per pax at Imperial Treasure Steamboat for a pleasant dinner experience with great food than this. Heck, there are so many steamboat places out there which offers great food, fantastic soup base and friendly staff at $20-30! Certainly not a place I would recommend to anyone.