Back to (Closed) Xin Jian Dong#01-122, 219 Bedok Central

Aidah Lim
 • 10 Nov 2011 1 review 0 follower
Overall
The restaurant caught my eye in a pay $10 for $20 value Groupon deal, partially due to it's location next to Bedok Point. Since I was alone, a $20 voucher should be able to get me a decent meal in a HDB non air-conditioned setting.

Being a small eater, I ordered a Claypot Braised Sea Cucumber priced at $18 and being a Jumbo restaurant member, an $18 dish should be of a reasonable size, and possibly enough for two small eaters.

Hence I ordered a Double-Boiled Pear dessert which I requested to take-away.

To my surprise, the waitress rejected my request rather curtly - Boss says no take-away using coupon - to which I replied I cant eat that much since I'm alone, would you prefer that I come back another day? After checking with the boss, her reply was UNapologetic - 'Sorry no takeaway, boss said come back another day'.

Not willing to come back again, I settled for a Coke Zero. At least there was still braised sea cucumber to look forward to.

The claypot that finally arrived was pathetic. It is the size of a small bak kut teh claypot for one person, with 4 small pieces of stiff cucumber (of poor quality), and some measly amount of carrot/ snow peas. It is hardly worth $10, let alone $18 as what the menu indicated. Gravy was bland, and if it weren't for a bowl of rice I ordered on foresight, the portion would hardly be sufficient.

A major let-down and certainly not deserving to be in Bedok which is famous for reasonably priced good food.

(Just for reference, I had an extremely satisfying bowl of Fish Maw with Seafood soup at Long Beach East Coast today. Abundant fish maw, fresh fish, squid and vegetables enough to serve 4 persons and it only costs $16!)

Nicholas Ng  672
 • 05 Sep 2011 1 review 0 follower
Overall
Awesome Ambience, Setting

Catch Preimer league here too.

Must tries: Da Ao Bee Hoon SamBal Mussels, Dim Sum, Da Ao Bee Hoon, Da Ao Bee Hoon, Dim Sum, HomeTown Dishes

Brunch, Supper, Lunch, Dinner, Large Groups/Gathering, Children/Family, After Work, Chillout, Quiet, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Wine Lists, Live Band, High Tea, Breakfast