Xin Jian Dong has closed.

Reviews for (Closed) Xin Jian Dong

Address: #01-122, 219 Bedok Central, 460219
05 Sep 2011

Awesome Ambience, Setting

Catch Preimer league here too.
Da Ao Bee Hoon, Dim Sum, Da Ao Bee Hoon, Da Ao Bee Hoon, Dim Sum, HomeTown Dishes

More reviews of Xin Jian Dong

The restaurant caught my eye in a pay $10 for $20 value Groupon deal, partially due to it's location next to Bedok Point. Since I was alone, a $20 voucher should be able to get me a decent meal in a HDB non air-conditioned setting.

Being a small eater, I ordered a Claypot Braised Sea Cucumber priced at $18 and being a Jumbo restaurant member, an $18 dish should be of a reasonable size, and possibly enough for two small eaters.

Hence I ordered a Double-Boiled Pear dessert which I requested to take-away.

To my surprise, the waitress rejected my request rather curtly - Boss says no take-away using coupon - to which I replied I cant eat that much since I'm alone, would you prefer that I come back another day? After checking with the boss, her reply was UNapologetic - 'Sorry no takeaway, boss said come back another day'.

Not willing to come back again, I settled for a Coke Zero. At least there was still braised sea cucumber to look forward to.

The claypot that finally arrived was pathetic. It is the size of a small bak kut teh claypot for one person, with 4 small pieces of stiff cucumber (of poor quality), and some measly amount of carrot/ snow peas. It is hardly worth $10, let alone $18 as what the menu indicated. Gravy was bland, and if it weren't for a bowl of rice I ordered on foresight, the portion would hardly be sufficient.

A major let-down and certainly not deserving to be in Bedok which is famous for reasonably priced good food.

(Just for reference, I had an extremely satisfying bowl of Fish Maw with Seafood soup at Long Beach East Coast today. Abundant fish maw, fresh fish, squid and vegetables enough to serve 4 persons and it only costs $16!)