Summary

Value3
Bak Kut Teh, yeo ji mee sua View all
After Work, Children/Family, Dinner, Lunch, Ala Carte, Cheap Eat/Budget View all

Bak Ku Teh restaurant at Tanjong Pagar

Overall, the soups were nice and it was a simple, comfortable air-con setting with very fast service. They also serve a number of fried vegetables and dishes. Our rating: 7 out of 10 (Ambience: 7, Service: 8, Taste: 7, Presentation: 7, Value-for-Money: 6.5).

Their original recipe Bak Kut Teh Soup ($7.80, or $10.80 with prime ribs) is the cloudy, herbal type rather than the clear peppery type. We liked the richness of the soup (refill is free), and the meat was quite soft. Just very few pieces for $7.80 though…

For more information and photos, refer to http://angiekayexplorer.com/2015/07/15/xin-mei-le-bak-kut-teh-tanjong-pagar/

Most helpful reviews for Xin Mei Le Bak Kut Teh

One of the softest...

One of the softest

Overall, the soups were nice and it was a simple, comfortable air-con setting with very fast service. They also serve a number of fried vegetables and dishes.  Our rating: 7 out of 10 (Ambience: 7, Service: 8, Taste: 7, Presentation: 7, Value-for-Money: 6.5).

Their original recipe Bak Kut Teh Soup ($7.80, or $10.80 with prime ribs) is the cloudy, herbal type rather than the clear peppery type.  We liked the richness of the soup (refill is free), and the meat was quite soft.  Just very few pieces for $7.80 though…

The Special Braised Pig’s Trotters ($7.80) came with fragrant, thick black sauce which went nicely with rice (at $0.60 per bowl).   The Kidney Soup ($8.80) had a nice, herbal aroma with ginger, but our complaint was again that the portion seemed quite small.

For more information and photos, refer to our blog at http://angiekayexplorer.com/2015/07/15/xin-mei-le-bak-kut-teh-tanjong-pagar/

Soup good, but otherwise not remarkable

Since a Bak Kut Teh discounted set meal voucher I had, was about to expire, thought I might as well have it after the walking I had done at Botanic Gardens. Had bought it in April (before I knew I would embark on a weight-loss challenge); when I recognised it as the one we had passed by en route to Chicken Up. At $7.80+GST for just normal pork ribs in herbal soup, it seemed expensive, and we had given it a pass then. So when I saw that a set meal valued at $12.20 was offered at $4.80 on www.qoo10.sg, I thought it was a good time to try. Perhaps it was expectations. Overall, it felt almost average. The herbal soup was tasty and nicely peppery. However, the meat was rather bland, rather bony, and not remarkable. The fritters had taste, but were cold. More importantly, the dark sweet sauce was the wrong kind. Too sweet, and not salty enough. Thankfully, at least they had chilli padi, and not the big red no-kick chillies. I asked to be given only half the rice, in an effort to partially keep the spirit of 'being on diet' :-P. So will I return to have it at the normal price? Not likely, unless I am in the area and craving for Bak Kut Teh. I might give the prawn paste chickens (7 half pieces of chicken wings for $10+, and 13 pieces for $18+) a go next time, just to see if it would be a "hidden find". (Xin Mei Le Bak Kut Teh, 90 Tanjong Pagar Road S088511, Tel: 62263290, 11am-10pm Mon - Sat)

Love yeo-ji(kidney) mee sua. =D

Love the soup(which is their bah kut teh)!! A combination of white peppery and herbal tastes, I likeeeee~ A small bowl of yeo ji(kidney) mee sua costs $8 but pretty filling for me.

Usually I will order a bowl of fried fritters(?? $1.20) to soak up all those goodness! The yeo-ji(kidney) have no typical kind of internal organs' smell. Very tender and nice to chew. :) Very nice service, always greeted with smiles. Free top up of soup too!

They serve other dishes too, like prawns, omelette, kangkong, curry fish head etc.

With Sophia wedding on your left, it's at the OPPOSITE side, a few shops further down. :) Btw, only cash and nets.

Pictures at http://littlechillipadi89.blogspot.com/2012/07/my-favorite-yeo-ji-mee-sua.html