Reviews for Xin Mei Le Bak Kut Teh

2.8

AsianLocalSingaporean

Soup good, but otherwise not remarkable

Since a Bak Kut Teh discounted set meal voucher I had, was about to expire, thought I might as well have it after the walking I had done at Botanic Gardens. Had bought it in April (before I knew I would embark on a weight-loss challenge); when I recognised it as the one we had passed by en route to Chicken Up. At $7.80+GST for just normal pork ribs in herbal soup, it seemed expensive, and we had given it a pass then. So when I saw that a set meal valued at $12.20 was offered at $4.80 on www.qoo10.sg, I thought it was a good time to try. Perhaps it was expectations. Overall, it felt almost average. The herbal soup was tasty and nicely peppery. However, the meat was rather bland, rather bony, and not remarkable. The fritters had taste, but were cold. More importantly, the dark sweet sauce was the wrong kind. Too sweet, and not salty enough. Thankfully, at least they had chilli padi, and not the big red no-kick chillies. I asked to be given only half the rice, in an effort to partially keep the spirit of 'being on diet' :-P. So will I return to have it at the normal price? Not likely, unless I am in the area and craving for Bak Kut Teh. I might give the prawn paste chickens (7 half pieces of chicken wings for $10+, and 13 pieces for $18+) a go next time, just to see if it would be a "hidden find". (Xin Mei Le Bak Kut Teh, 90 Tanjong Pagar Road S088511, Tel: 62263290, 11am-10pm Mon - Sat)
• 15 Jun 2013 • 29 reviews • 1 follower

Soup good, but otherwise not remarkable

• Set meal
• 17 Sep 2012 • 54 reviews • 10 followers

Love yeo-ji(kidney) mee sua. =D

Overall
Love the soup(which is their bah kut teh)!! A combination of white peppery and herbal tastes, I likeeeee~ A small bowl of yeo ji(kidney) mee sua costs $8 but pretty filling for me.

Usually I will order a bowl of fried fritters(?? $1.20) to soak up all those goodness! The yeo-ji(kidney) have no typical kind of internal organs' smell. Very tender and nice to chew. :) Very nice service, always greeted with smiles. Free top up of soup too!

They serve other dishes too, like prawns, omelette, kangkong, curry fish head etc.

With Sophia wedding on your left, it's at the OPPOSITE side, a few shops further down. :) Btw, only cash and nets.

Pictures at http://littlechillipadi89.blogspot.com/2012/07/my-favorite-yeo-ji-mee-sua.html

• 29 Jun 2012 • 56 reviews • 1 follower

Tanjong Pagar Bak Bak Teh!

Overall
Been here a few times now, right on Tanjong Pagar Road and I believe it's run by a husband and wife team. I really enjoy bak kut teh and it's very nice here. They have a few other dishes but really you're there for a bak kut teh. Friendly people there to help out also.

Full review with pics here: