Review for Zaffron Kitchen (East Coast Road)

3.6

AsianIndianLocalNorth IndianSingaporeanSouth Indian
Address: 135/137 East Coast Road, 428822

+65 6884 6884
03 Mar 2014
Overall

Great Indian Food in a Modern Bistro Ambiance!

On my many visits to Katong area, I have driven past this restaurant located diagonally opposite 112 Katong Mall, next to the popular Glory shop, that sells peranakan food and popular Chinese New Year goodies during the recent Festive season.

The restaurant is done up in a very modern bistro setting, with see through glass set in black squarish window panes and doors, with hip tungsten bulbs hanging from the ceiling.

Imagine my surprise, when I discovered it was a restaurant that served North and South Indian food! Most restaurants I know specialise in either North or South Indian food. This was a first for me.  Imagine you getting both Naan (North Indian bread) and Roti Prata (South Indian bread) at the same restaurant.

I gathered my lunch kakis and came for lunch. These were the highlights from our meal:

-       Pakoda mixed (This vegetable patty was chockful of vegetables,  and was delicious to the last bite)

-       Samosa (Huge fist sized potato filled pyramid-shaped bundles of joy. Must eat while its hot, I wished they had a counter along the street that allows you to order-and-go, to satisfy those moments when you are in a hurry and need sustenance on the go.)

-       Paneer tikka  (Cottage cheese cooked in tandoor. I personally prefer the cheese cooked in the spinach version, which we also ordered)

-       Tandoori malai and Chicken Tikka Combination platter (I loved the chicken tikka very very much. The meat was juicy and nicely done. MUST TRY!)

-       Dum Briyani (This dish was served in an oval casserole, which was covered in a roti pastry covering the whole dish and baked. Also comes with a hard boiled egg. I wished we had not ordered so much, so I could eat more of this!)

-       Butter chicken (This was very well done and it goes well with the garlic and plain naan that we ordered)

-       Garlic naan (Definitely one of the better ones I have had. Goes well with the curries and

-       Kashmiri naan (Think a plain naan, stuffed in between with ‘a sweet jam comprising’ prunes, dates, raisins, cashew nuts! A very divine dish that can be eaten on its own and I loved it!)

-       Gajar kahalwa (Traditional Indian Carrot dessert. The restaurant served this with vanilla ice cream drizzled with chocolate sauce. A very unique dessert - MUST TRY!)

Overall, a very satisfying meal and the prices here are not the high-end priced that you have to pay to dine for good North Indian food.

In addition, this outlet had a play area with a child size ‘house’ with play toys for the children to be kept entertained while their parents have a meal! Parents should try dining here with their young ones!

As we were leaving, I learnt from the staff that they have just opened a new outlet at Westgate. As I stay in the west, I will be visiting them at that outlet pretty soon, when I have my next craving for Indian food.

butter chicken, Dum Chicken Biryani, Gajar Kahalwa, Tandoori malai and Chicken Tikka Combination platter

More reviews of Zaffron Kitchen

Overall

My favourite supper place!

The interior that first attracted me.

And what keep me coming back is the awesome FOOD.
 Overall the food on their menu is very good. But I love their tandoori Chicken & cheese nan! The consistency and high quality of food really set the bar high.

The staffs are friendly and helpful!

Good food worth the wait, so come early or book in advance.
Overall

Service and foods are good

Was there to celebrate my hubby birthday with kids. There is a kids conner with tv and toys so kids can play there during we were enjoying our meal. Foods there was good. Will definitely go there again.
Overall

Ok, so the staff can be slow... but they are incredibly nice and the food is awesome!

Yes the staff can be slow. it depends on what night you go here and how busy but we have been 3 times and had no problems at all. the staff always talk to us and recommend food and always smile and chat. the food though......... the food is simply amazeballs. there is no other place we would go in sSingapore for Indian. would highly highly highly recommend.

Good food but SLOW service

Good food, not too expensive... But really slooooow service. Tandoori chicken is good.

Nice Indian Food

A different CNY. Decided to go Indian tonight for dinner on CNY day 2. I've been to Zaffron at Amoy one and liked it. Luckily their east coast outlet didn't disappoint too. Must orders are the butter chicken, fish masala and Tandoori malai chicken tikka. Garlic naan and basmati rice are good. You can choose your spice level and we went with extra spicy for my fav dal makhani. One of the very few Indian restaurant which Mum went yum. Guess won't be too hard to convince the family to dine here again. Only boo was the kids area that got too rowdy when a bunch of kids were playing. Not a sound proof place, the noise was more than my ear drums could bear with the kids' shrill screaming. Not sure that can be fixed so be sure to chop chop chomp chomp your din din and go go.