Back to A for Arbite#01-01, 28 Aliwal Street

Trendy3 votes

Weekend Eat What
 • 25 May 2014 30 reviews 0 follower
Overall
For full review with pictures, visit: http://weekendeatwhatsg.blogspot.sg/2014/03/a-for-arbite.html

Small plates are priced from $8 to $17, while big plates ranged from $18 to $34. For two pax, we ordered two small plates and one big plate which were sufficient, leaving enough room for one dessert too.

White bait - deep fried and tossed with lemongrass and chili salt )($8++, below). It was an addictive deep fried fish dish which we could not stop going for. I would recommend to have this with beer which will wash down the deep fried mouthful. However, I didn't really like the accompany greens which had a sourish dressing.

Our other small plate was lobster thermidor ($17++, below). It was a thick creamy soup which comprise of lobster, crab, mushrooms, mustard, brandy and Parmesan cheese. It's a challenge to classify this under one of the four basic flavors (aka sweet, sour, bitter, saltiness) that our taste buds can recognize.. I can only say this was something extraordinary. It had the sweetness of the ocean, fragrance of mushrooms, mild pungency of mustard, slight bitterness of the brandy, cheese flavor, and had the texture of a thick chowder. It was so flavorful and tasty that we licked off every single drop in the bowl. In my opinion, this is the signature of A for Arbite and I would return to order again, except that I would not make the mistake of agreeing to share it :p

Our choice of big plate was the Tri pepper spaghettini with snow crab ($27++, below) which had green, pink and black pepper pasta with snow crabs. The dish was slightly spicy. We thought the pasta was special, and we felt like we were eating ramen that's cooked al dente. The pepper was not overpowering, but very subtle. And not forgetting the main character- delicious and juicy snow crab.

Ending off with a sweet dessert- sticky date pudding ($10++, below). The moist and airy chocolate sponge cake was wondrously drizzled with ultra sweet caramel sauce and topped with refreshing vanilla ice-cream. Too sweet for me. Strictly for those with a sweet tooth.

Service was attentive, right from the moment we entered till the end of dinner. The serving speed was well paced and commendable given the crowd. Place was empty when we visited at 8pm but packed when we left at about 10pm. Overall, an amazing place which I will certainly return again. So happy to find a secret gem!

Must tries: Lobster Thermidor

• Lobster thermidor
  • Lobster thermidor

Not so picky
 • 26 Apr 2014 5 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Went there ard 3pm on a Saturday. It was qt crowded but there were seats available as the cafe was very spacious with prob seating capacity of at least 50 pax.

Ordered Oscar Eggs which was eggs benedict with yuzu sauce and parma ham, salad, asparagus wrapped in bacon. Cost $19 before gst. Tasted blah. My friend thought the asparagus was too salty.

Atmosphere was nice cos its very spacious and u don't have to be conscious about hogging the seats for too long. But the eggs we tried is not something we will recommend.

Brunch, Children/Family, Large Groups, Large Groups/Gathering, Relaxed
  • Interior of the cafe
  • Oscar eggs
  • Interior of the cafe
  • Oscar eggs

Melicacy
 • 11 Mar 2014 5 reviews 0 follower
For the full review and more pictures, visit http://melicacy.com/?p=7067

A for Arbite at Aliwal Street is an expansion of the popular Arbite at Serangoon Gardens. Chef-owner Marc Wee refreshes the menu regularly, showcasing boundless creativity and culinary flair with each new dish.

Spaghettini with Lobster ($31.90)
The substantial Spaghettini with Lobster comes with Canadian Maine lobster adorned with caviar that sits on a bed of al dente squid ink pasta tossed with crabmeat, mushrooms, leek and baby spinach in a amalgamation Asian-oriented aromatics, chilli and dried shrimp. Homemade pasta is the kitchen’s forte.

Mussels with White Wine ($12.90)
My dining companion is absolutely bewitched by the Mussels with White Wine, bugging me every so often to replicate it in my home kitchen. The Australian blue shell mussels, of plump and pristine quality, are steeped in an arousing white-wine infused broth. Simple but memorable.

Cookies and Cream Cheese “Cake” ($8)
If sweet, creamy, luscious and rich is your definition of the perfect ending, go for the Cookies and Cream Cheese “Cake” that comes with crushed cookies and a cream cheese and milk espuma. I found great pleasure in this dessert, but my dining companion’s opinion differs. It was the Sticky Date Pudding ($10) that we both agreed was noteworthy and deserves special mention.

Must tries: Lobster Thermidor, Cookies and Cream Cheesecake, Eggs benedict

After Work, Ala Carte, Boys Night Out, Brunch, Children/Family, Girls Night Out, Hidden Find, Large Groups/Gathering, Lunch, Nice Deco, Relaxed, Romance/First Dates, Trendy