Situated far from the bustling Orchard Road at Shaw Towers, Ah Loy Thai still faces long queues on weekend dinner service. . From Thai steamboat to typical Phad Thai, our fussy taste buds are in for a treat at this small Thai eatery.
Hello fellow Hungrygowhere-ers and hungry people out there,
Just wanted to give my 2cents and a review of this place during my visit a few weeks back.
The food was mediocre at its best i would not recommend this place at all.
what we ordered- Phad Thai
- Thai Green Curry
- Pineapple Fried rice
- sweet Tofu
only the Green Curry and tofu showed up, the staff claimed that no one was present to prepare the Phad Thai and the Fried rice. Serving size for the green curry was decent and it tasted rather sour. But the only plus to this was that the chicken was rather tender and the tofu was decent.
For the amount of money being forked out I would gladly head over to random coffee shops and have a hearty meal. NOT worth for what you are paying.
The staff was very unfriendly and did not even bother to greet me and my friend when we entered. when we asked for assistance we were replied with kurt replies and sour expressions. The staff at the counter didnt even give the correct change when making payment.
The place was so cramped, me and my pal had trouble eating- tables and chairs were spaced really close to each other to cater for the lunch crowd. the proximity issue is such a problem that we could literally hear people munching their food as we went about minding our own business. The smell from the trash left outside by the kitchen staff was very unpleasent and caused us to have an unforgettable dinning experience. i would not recommend this place to anyone.
Overall this place is terrible !
Ah Loy Thai, is the place you would want to go if you wanted to:
1. Wait....wait... and wait more..
2. See patron who came later sitting across you get his order earlier than you.
3. Being spoken to with a very condescending tone.
4. Have your food complimented by the smell of pungent sewage from the kitchen.
5. Having being told that the Chef isnt around to cook when the food has been paid.
But this Thai joint does really serve relatively good Pad Thai .... provided the chef is around to fry up a dish for you. Even though the food has won plenty of awards does not warrant this thai joint to provide such absurd service.
If you want to have a bad date or have a meal spoilt by bad service staff i highly recommend this place. (5 stars)
It's been a long wait since I bookmarked Ah Loy maybe a year ago, and perhaps I've come at least 2 or 3 times to try for lunch, but retreated upon hearing the 30+ minutes wait time for food. Today was a late lunch so I thought it might be improved at around 1.30pm, but alas still told to expect a 30 minute wait, and I finally decided to concede.
Pandan chicken ($9) is tasty and nicely presented in the leaf with 4 pieces per serve. It goes well with the sweet chilli sauce. The prawn tom yum soup was flavoursome and a decent size portion to share between 2 or 3 people. The level of spiciness seems to slowly build up. Finally the pineapple fried rice was great, as per the previous reviewer, it defies it's appearance and the chef does well to make it moist but not oily.
Service: Actually the tom yum soup came only 12 mins after ordering, so maybe they are doing themselves a dis-service by overestimating the wait, but at least it sets the right expectation. However I found the service staff a bit slow in providing plates, bowls, and a serving spoon for the soup (which they said had run out, only to see the adjacent table get one a few minutes later). Service can be improved.
Overall: It's quite good food for the price, recommended especially for patient eaters!
1. Waiting time of 1hr 15mins for food. I'm a believer of waiting for good food, so naturally my expectation is "this better be worth it".
2. Pineapple rice tastes just like chinese zhi char style fried rice, with a few tiny grains of pineapple. Arrived first on the table, it laid here for 10 mins because nothing else arrived.
3. And our SEAFOOD tom yum soup arrived 10 mins later. Not sure if I ordered seafood soup, or prawn soup, because there were only THREE prawns and several slices of mushrooms. I asked the lady (helper) what exactly does their seafood tom yum soup consist of, and why was there only THREE prawns. And she said yes prawns and mushrooms. And that IF I ordered the "PRAWN" tom yum soup I would get FOUR prawns. She has the nerve to say she isn't quite sure because that was what the chef said. Oh my great heavens. I'm not even mad, I'm actually quite amazed by how their set items were derived.
4. Asparagus with prawns was slightly raw, but fine.
5. Mango fried chicken was the only thing that didn't go wrong.
Totally not worth. Any random shop at Orchard Towers would beat this hands down. Even the nearby Porn's Thai Food is tons better than this nonsense.
Not going to be here even if there wasn't any queue.
We were there before the lunch peak hours and was expecting our orders to be served early, we ordered Butter Calamari, Pineapple Fried Rice, Beef Basil and Thai tea. To our horror, we waited for more than 30 mins and still without a sight of our Pineapple fried rice. When asked when our pineapple fried rice will be ready, the staff shouted to us a "NOT YET!" in an extremely rude tone. What kind of attiude is this? Well understood that there is no service charge but since they are in the F&B industry, shouldn't they have some basic customer service or at least answer us politely??? There is also no standardization in their dishes. They used to add vegs in their beef basil but replaced it with some mushrooms instead for now. The dishes were also served in batches depending on the numbers of similar orders made. A few tables around us have their Phad Thai served at the same time even when some of them arrived later than us. On a slight note, we overheard the table next to us checking out when their Chendol would be served, we thought that the staff is trying to cove up the fact that they have forgotten to serve, she resoned with them that she had thought they wanted it to be served later. The ladies were seen with an annoyed face when their Chendol was finally served to them. Overall will give a thumb down as quality of food asides, what really pissed us off was the attitude staff and the extreme long wait for the food. Definitely not worth another visit if this is the kind of service you are gonna get in return.