Review for Arossa Wine & Grill Restaurant

AsianEuropeanItalianJapaneseSeafoodSteak and GrillsWestern
Address: #02-01, Scotts Square, 6 Scotts Square, 228209
17 Jul 2014

Tasting @ Arossa Wine & Grill

For pictures and more information, head on to: http://lovethekisses.blogspot.sg/2014/07/advert-arossa-wine-grill-scotts-square.html

2 weeks ago, I was invited down by Amanda for a tasting session at Arossa Wine & Grill. I was pretty hesitant initially because Scotts Square is where all the high-end stores are located in, and I really didn't know what to expect of this restaurant. I'm sure many of you would have thought the same way, and wouldn't even step into it thinking it might be too atas and hence not affordable. Well, that is totally not the case!

"Arossa is the new hotspot in the latest culinary experience in the heart of Orchard Road at Scotts Square; offering authentic classy ambience which surrounds the store, transporting diners to indulge their food in a warm and relaxed setting.

The restaurant impresses with exciting creations from our celebrated Chef Chiaki Watanabe, who believes that simplicity is key in her food, without compromising on delectable tastes. The restaurant is known for its grill sourced from Australia and New Zealand, and the pairing of wide range of wines to complement each dish."

We had:
Burrata Cheese
Grilled Blue Fin Tuna - my favourite!
Sea Urchin Paste Pasta - so good I wanted more of it
Tiramisu

Private dining is available here too, with NO extra charges - all you have to do is call and reserve in advance! They have 3 rooms set aside for such events, each room catering to about 6-8 people.

Arossa also has over 120 labels of wines for you to choose from!

Tiramisu

More reviews of Arossa Wine & Grill Restaurant

Nice Dinner on 23Dec2014

See my full reviews & photos at =http://chefquak.com/2014/12/26/nice-dinner-with-son-arossa-on-23dec2014/

had a nice, quiet dinner with son at arossa on 23.12.2014.

was last here with wife on 3.9.2014.

we were given a corner table by the window overlooking scotts road with all the christmas decorations.

son wanted some oysters as starter. we decided to order a wagyu steak each & a lobster ravioli to share.

the oysters were excellent, very sweet, plump & tasty.

the lobster blackened spinach ravioli were tops too. :-) the restaurant split for us so we had 3 ravioli each. the lobster broth or emulsion was superb.

the A5 miyazaki wagyu was also top fine dining standard. so what’s missing?

first, it was now 150g instead of 180g. i guess that’s ok. wagyu was good, very tender, good tasting,  presentation was good also, definitely equalled or beat any fine dining restaurant serving good steaks.

but i could tell instantly that the presentation, sauce etc basically everything was different from the japanese presentation the last 2 times – see photos of the kagoshima wagyu on 3.9.2014 & the miyazaki wagyu on 16.8.2014.

& taste-wise somehow it did not have the standout marbled fragrance of a top japanese wagyu cut.

dinner for 2pax was S$143 after 50% palate discounts with amex.

sadly, arossa is closing by end jan2015 & we were told watanabe-san, the grill chef helming the restaurant is returning to japan to start her own restaurant. good for her & all the very best! :-)

i will probably return before end jan2015 to have a last go.

Very good dinner

I enjoyed every single dish on our table that night and I highly recommend this place for date nights.

The main highlight is the Grilled Blue Fin Tuna with Salsa Fresh Tomatoes! I am personally not a fan of tuna but this dish was so good it changed my mind! Arossa Grill takes pride in their fresh ingredients and grilling techniques, it can be tasted through this wonderfully grilled dish.

The calamari is easily one of my favourite dish of the night. I have always loved deep-fried sotong but is often disappointed by joints dishing calamari that are too floury or bland. The calamari at Arossa is crispy and delectable, and also came with Spicy Aioli Sauce for dips. So outstanding that I would definitely recommend everyone to order this when you dine at Arossa.

Pics on: http://www.estherxie.com/2014/07/arossa-grill-and-wine-bar.html

Strangely Disappointing

We received a promotional mailer from JPassport on Arossa and being a fan of good Japanese pasta, we were really looking forward to try the food. We went on a Saturday afternoon.

First - The Service
 We were at the entrance looking at the menu. The restaurant server at the door did not greet us and left us alone. When we expressed a wish to have a table, he did greet and welcome us in. We were promptly served water and bread. The service was attentive & professional where they will check on refilling and clearing plates promptly. However, it all felt rather 'cold'. They were definitely not rude but just a very noticeable lack of warmth and smiles. It was a bit uncomfortable as it contrasted greatly with the ambiance of the restaurant which was very cosy and warm.

We asked about the JPassport promotion: "This exclusive 1 for 1 lunch set by Arossa is from 11:30am to 2:00pm.” But we were told it was valid only for weekdays but it’s not stated at all in the mailer. We actually saw a few people asked about the promo and left because it was not valid.

Second – The Food: We really wanted to try the food and had their set lunch. The appetizers: Salad with prawns was tasty, light and delicious. The minestrone soup was also delicious and filled with crunchy vegetables.

The mains: Spaghetti Peperoncino was light and tasty. The wagyu hamburg was well-seasoned and still moist and juicy inside. However, there was a piece of tendon in the humburg that was just too tough to chew and contrasted with the rest of the meat.

The dessert: Dessert was a trio of mango sorbet which was sweet and delicious, a panna cotta which was, in my opinion, the best of the whole meal. It was simply light and super delicious and not overly sweet with the right texture. However, it was marred by the third of the dessert trio – simply called ‘chocolate’ by the server who said it’s not a chocolate cake but more like a tart. Well, it did not look like a tart to us but more like a small piece of flourless chocolate cake. And it really was bland and had no taste whatsoever to it…

Overall – The Experience: Strangely disappointing was how I would describe it. I had some strict diet restrictions which I informed the server about. In a restaurant of this calibre, I would expect this to be communicated to the chef and be offered something as an alternative, which did not happen. (We were seated right in front of the head chef.) The food was some hits and some misses but generally good – though, nothing exceptional to us. Was it value for money? Not really. We just felt a bit hungry after the whole set lunch. Most of all, I was very disappointed with the impersonal service which just did not gel with the environment and the meal.

Delicious and relaxing

Firstly, the decor is welcoming, warm and relaxed. Secondly, the service was professional and knowledgable. Thirdly, and most importantly, the food was delicious. The beef cheek was superb, the carpaccio was fresh and tasty, and the cheese lovely - a great selection.

The only odd thing was the music - an apparently never ending guitar solo.

Great View, Good Food, Good value

Visisted on a weekday lunch. Food was awesome, portion was good and value for money, staff were attentive. Was seated by the window and the view was great. Would definitely be back.