Summary

peking duck, dim sum, Har Kow, Pork Belly Bun, Winter Melon Seafood Soup, wasabi prawns, Shark Fin soup, BBQ roasted meat combination, Baked Custard Bun; Peking Duck, Baked Egg Tart - 蛋挞仔, Best Deep Fried Giant Oysters Coated with Salted Egg Yolk, Chee Cheong Fan, Double boiled Apple Soup with Freshwater Fish, Duck Meat on Salad, Eight Treasure Duck, Fried Ee Fu Mee, Lotus Rice, Matrimony Vine wth Assorted Egg, Pork Dumpling, Pork Trotter Black Vinegar, Roast Pork as an appetiser. Peking Duck, Shrimp Dumpling, Steamed Assorted Mushroom Dumpling - 野菌素菜饺, Yam paste with ginkgo nuts, cheese baked scallops, coffee pork ribs, dimsum, everything, feng cao, fried yam dumpling, lamb, mango cream with pomelo and sago, pork ribs, roast pork, runny custard bun, scallops, seafood meepok, siew mai, spring onion pancake, suckling pig View all
Lunch, Dinner, Children/Family, Large Groups/Gathering, Vibrant/Noisy, Brunch, Business Dining, After Work, Corporate Events, Private Dining, High Tea, Girls Night Out, Ala Carte View all

Go for the Peking duck

Asia Grand Restaurant has an ongoing promotion for their Peking Duck at $38++ and an additional $10++ if you want the meat of the duck to be served. This is really value-for-money compared to other Chinese restaurants.   Though the Peking Duck is on offer, Asia Grand staff still followed tradition and carved the duck right in front of us. Each egg crepe is wrapped with a piece of satisfying crispy duck skin, a sliver of either spring onion or cucumber and a dash of hoisin sauce.

For pics and full review, visit http://www.bunnysays.com/2013/08/dim-sum-lunch-asia-grand-restaurant.html

Most helpful reviews for Asia Grand Restaurant

Liked it

I know Singapore has plenty of choices for dim sum, but value for money dim sum in central is not many. Asia Grand offers tasty Cantonese style dim sum at good prices. It's quite crowded on the sunday we went. We called in a day in advance to book a table, and was told to take up the 1pm slot [they have 2 time slots for dim sum on weekends]. As there are only 4 of us, we didn't go for the Peking duck but saw lots of order for it. The Har-Kow, SiewMai are typical and the liu-sha-bao is sweet. The best is the deep-fried bean curd (fu-pi-juan), which we ordered two plates. The CharSiewBun isn't that great though.

Best dim-sum ever tasted, to date.

Best dim-sum ever tasted, to date.

The prawns and scallops dim-sum were simply to die for, as they're so fresh, huge and succulent. I dont quite remember what else I've tried but in my memory, all of them are nice, including the char siew bao, fried mango prawn rolls etc. All are nice!

The restaurant was so crowded and packed with orders that the services are pretty bad. But I guess that's expected when food is good!

It was a friend's treat so I dont know the price but kinda remember it wasnt too expensive.

A Dinner for 15 Pax

Original reviews with photo at http://www.nahmj.com/2016/04/23/asia-grand-restaurant-dinner-odeon-tower-singapore/

Asia Grand Restaurant is a quite a long established brand in Singapore. Previously it was located at the former Asia Grand Hotel. Since the demolition of the hotel, it has relocated to Odeon Tower.

It is interesting that throughout the meal, the diners thought food were Teochew cuisine. One other point to note, Asia Grand Restaurant is one of the few restaurants that offer a table big enough for 15 pax.

We ordered a Special Set Menu for 10 person at $598 ++. As we have 15 pax, we added for 5 pax. In this set menu for dinner, 8 dishes were served.

To get the dinner rolling, we started with the Steamed Fresh Prawn, 白灼生虾. Anything that is fresh when steamed, the natural flavour and its sweetness were emitted. And this was the case the dish.

The Braised Minced Chicken Thick Soup with Egg White, 西湖鸡茸羮 has a texture and taste resemble the usual shark fin soup. I could savour the chicken aroma in the soup and there was a good amount of minced chicken in it.

Who doesn’t welcome the Roasted Whole Boneless Suckling Pig, 南乳去骨猪? With a layer of fats in between the crispy skin and tender succulent meat with sufficient marinate, most couldn’t resist the charm. This truly is an indulgent.

It was shortly followed by the Braised Sliced Sea Whelk with Vegetables & Abalone Sauce, 鲍汁碧绿海螺片. Nothing worth mentioning about this dish except that the seasoning added to this dish was at a perfect ratio.

The fifth dish of the night is the Fried Crispy Duck, 脆皮香酥鸭. True to its name, it is indeed crispy and salty. Other than that, no other characteristics. I heard many, even one of the diner in our group was raving about its Peking Duck. Maybe it is better than the fried one.

Moving on was the Steamed Fresh Pa-Ting Fish with Olives, Garlic and Chilli, 榄角蒜茸辣椒蒸八丁鱼. I thought usually the Teochew would use olives in dishes. I suppose this was the dish that cause confusion and most thought Asia Grand was a Teochew Restaurant. Another usual was the fish for the dish, it uses Patin Fish, a Malaysian fresh water fish. I am not a fan of fresh water fish as it usually has soil taste in the flesh. At least, this unpleasantness wasn’t in the fish.

The last dish before dessert was the Crispy Rice In Seafood Soup, 金银海鲜泡饭. Many diners always associate rice in soup as a Teochew dish. Some how I am puzzled with this phenomenon as we Teochew (I am one.) don’t eat that way. And my Dad always complains about this highly debatable dish as Teochew dish too. Anyway … I suppose this is another element that contribute to the thought Grand Asia Restaurant as a Teochew Restaurant.

Both white rice and fried crispy rice were both added to the bowl of seafood soup. Hence it provided both texture to the the dish and together with aromatic seafood soup, most would not refuse this comfort food.

The meal was ended with the Red Bean Pan Cake, 豆沙窝饼 as dessert.

More reviews on http://www.nahmj.com/

How I ended up paying corkage in a no corkage restaurant

I read that they have no corkage charge. So, enthisiastically, I brought two Bordeaux blends there for dinner. The waitress brought us some thick, round glasses that one could easily mistake for water glasses. I asked for a change, and she came back with two taller ones that looked more like Burgundy glasses this time. I smiled and explained that I needed Bordeuax glasses. She went back and brought the manager/owner out this time. I sensed that he was rather annoyed by now. He informed me that customers there had asked for different glasses for different wines, and had broken too many glasses to the detriment of the restaurant. So, they had stopped serving their 'better glasses'. He reminded me that there is no corkage charge and suggested that I just made do with the Burgundy glasses instead, implying that I should be thankful for it. I was grateful but really, I could not bring myself to pour my Ornellaia or Smith Haut Lafitte into those Burgundy glasses nor the yellowish decanter. In the end, we settled for a S$30 corkage before I got to drink my wines with Scott Weisel Bordeaux glasses. That was how I end up paying corkage at a no corkage outlet. So, bring your own decanters and glasses if you want to avoid the frustrations or annoyance early on at dinners there. Or bring burgundies to suit those round glasses they will most likely serve you, Your cheap Burgundies, that is. Forget the whites, unless you really don't mind any glass being used at all. The food is delicious though.

older folks

we had some elderly visiting from overseas and we used this as an excuse to take the family for dinner. And Asia Grand did not disappoint. The Peking duck was mouth-watering as usual and everyone in the group of 10 really enjoyed what was being served to us