Reviews for Asian Market Cafe

2.6

AsianChineseEuropeanHalalInternationalItalianModern EuropeanNonya / PeranakanPeranakanWestern
Address: Level 2, Fairmont Singapore, 80 Bras Basah Road, 179103

Book a Table

Call our Reservations Hotline

+65 6884 6884

Lots of food, all delicious

This cafe was my regular place when it was part of Westin, but I kinda forgot about it for a while. Re-discovered it recently and how much it has changed, quantity of food and price too. Dine only when you get 50% off.

Ambience: It's set up like a high class air conditioned kopitiam. It was unique in the earlier days, but many coffee shops have now dolled up their premises and service counters to look like this. Comfortable tables, but all rectangular.

Food: I shall start from the left counter, moving up and then doing a U turn to the right. Cold starters: oysters, prawns, flower crabs. The flower crabs were delicious, so long as you've the patience to peel it open, these small sized crabs. Then the salad counter with fresh salmon sashimi which I ate a lot, fatty stomach part and all. There was a lamb counter but it was pretty tough, ate the seafood selection: chili sting ray (not fresh), BBQed prawns - tasty, Satay (chicken n beef), freshly prepared with a tasty satay sauce, a mountain of chili crab, was good quality, fleshy and fresh, not powdery to the touch. The dessert counter is at the top of the U service counters, One dish I recall from before is the creamed durian "pengat" or paste. It was outstanding and it is still outstanding. Before I talk about the dessert, let me walk you through the right side of the food service - there were three stalls there, serving chicken rice, laksa (very delicious, highly recommended) and lastly Indian food. The prata was v good for hotel standard. Onto the dessert, I only managed to try the pineapple crumble, jelly in soy bean and fresh fruits - plus the durian I mentioned above. Very full after that.

Value: Reasonable, $55 ++ is a lot to pay for most of the stuff you cannot eat unless you're a glutton.

Service: Good but staff kept very busy.

• 31 May 2015 • 1 review • 0 follower

Lousy food expensive place.

Overall
The staff were polite and welcoming, but they could not makeup for the poor quality food and ambience.

1. Tables and chairs were old. My mother scratched herself on an exposed nail while helping my grandma out of her chair. The rattan seat of my chair was frayed and I had to change it myself.

2. Poor food quality. The staff were proudly proclaiming that they serve delicious chilli crabs. The crabs were big, but the flesh was dry, indicating overcooking, or it was mushy, indicating frozen crabs. The naan was tough and tasteless. The egg drop soup tasted full of msg and frozen vegetables, it doesn't have a fresh taste to it.

3. Tasteless food. The beef rendang and mutton curries looked fantastic with lots of spices, but the meat was tasteless indicating poor marinating, and the texture .was coarse and rough indicating insufficient cooking time.

4. Saving graces. The durian penyet used durian of the fantastic bittersweet variety and was excellent. The boiled cold prawns were sweet and juicy.

5. Value. Not worth the expensive price tag at a 5star hotel.
• 09 May 2015 • 1 review • 0 follower

not up to standard

Overall
like the title said its not up to standard they don't refill food when theres nothing already food is not fresh too
The management of Asian Market Cafe responded to this review:
24 Jun 2015
Dear Koh Yam Sim,

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we regret to learn about your disappointing experience. Quality and freshness of our offerings are equally important to us and we will direct your feedback to the relevant departments for a thorough review. We hope have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Yours sincerely,
The Management
Asian Market Cafe
• 26 Sep 2014 • 12 reviews • 0 follower

Not bad I guess but standard dropped...

Overall
Have not been here for a number of years and the food has deteriorated. This is upsetting especially for a five star hotel location. Still, kudos to the service staff there. They were friendly at least. Food needs to be updated or changed. Undecided to give a thumbs up or thumbs down but for the staff I guess, yes.