Back to Asian Market CafeLevel 2, Fairmont Singapore, 80 Bras Basah...

Satay3 votes
Buffet18 votes
Corporate Events4 votes

Foodluver
 • 11 Oct 2013 2 reviews 0 follower
Overall
I went to Asian Market Cafe yesterday with a group of 9 people.  The ambience was acceptable, brightly lit, aisle was easily accessible.

Customer service had improved, compared to those reviews made last year on this web.  There was a wide range of food, Asian, seafood, salads, fruits, desserts.  Oysters were big, freshness was acceptable.  Salmon was a no-go, could have been fresher. So were the beef, lamb satays, too tough for my liking, could have improved on this area.

I particularly like the chilli crabs, not too spicy, just right for my taste.  Cakes were great, not too sweet.
Can go and try but price tag is a little steep so do eat slowly so that you can try all the varieties.  I did not get the opportunity to try everything eg wanton noodles, laksa, prata.

Must tries: Chilli Crab

After Work, Birthdays, Boys Night Out, Buffet, Business Dining, Children/Family, Corporate Events, Girls Night Out

Foodluver
 • 11 Oct 2013 2 reviews 0 follower

Must tries: Chilli Crab

applepiedelight1024
 • 30 Oct 2012 1 review 0 follower
Overall
As a group of 11, we were impressed with the wide spread of dishes laid out (and continual replenishment) for an Asian buffet.   Don’t typically have high expectations of food freshness and quality at a buffet (especially marketed as an Asian one) but I would say the food I had was decent though I am fencing on a hit-and-miss on some.   Misses: dim sum (i.e. yam cake, har gow, chicken siew mai – being a halal restaurant) Hits: Clams, Salad bar, fried rice, sashimi (not the freshest, but kudos on the continual replenishment), durian puree   Now for the following 2 bad experiences one after another: 1)      Bill payment – we were aware of the AMEX/DBS promo (15% off for max 8 diners) which was why we decided to give this place a shot. We were not told upfront of the caveat that promotion is applicable per reservation and hence unable to split the bill into 2. Fine, I accept that the restaurant R&R/policies go by the book in all true local culture. Bill came out to ~80 per pax, and honestly I rather top up a little more and head to The Line at Shangri-La for the same if not better buffet spread and good service. 2)      Poor attitude of restaurant manager (Shankar) – for a restaurant in a 5-star hotel, I would expect much better service and attentiveness to customers rather than some mickey mouse attitude rendered by the restaurant manager. To be fair the service staff (i.e. waitresses/waiters) displayed humility which in my opinion is very important in service industry and enhances the overall experience. After the boo-boo and slight commotion from the bill payment, we asked for the birthday cake to be brought out along with some side plates. We were then served with styrofoam plates and plastic forks - SERIOUSLY??!!! That was the last straw that broke the camel’s back. Forget all the talk of being environmental friendly, was it difficult to extend courtesy to an already irritated group of customers by serving up proper glass/pyrex plates which you already serve at the restaurant? Not sure for the rest, but sure was humiliating to be served with disposable ware. Confronted the restaurant manager to be given proper ware, he failed to properly address/acknowledge the issue (customer service 101!!) and replied with – “I went to this movie screening….”. I had to interrupt him because I was not going to hear his experience which I suspect is related on the same account and probably inspired his attitude. I do know that service line is tough and sure hope service staff especially if you face off directly with the customers are taught the basics on handling customers. In this case, the restaurant manager could have acknowledged the issue, apologized before going on with his movie screening explanation though I would still think is a weak explanation. Give a better reason, mate. Pushing the blame onto other establishments just do not cut out.

Buffet, Corporate Events, Vegetarians, Vibrant/Noisy