Review for Asian Market Cafe

2.6

AsianChineseEuropeanHalalInternationalItalianModern EuropeanNonya / PeranakanPeranakanWestern
Address: Level 2, Fairmont Singapore, 80 Bras Basah Road, 179103

+65 6884 6884
11 Oct 2013

Food Not Bad, But Not Worth The Price

I went to Asian Market Cafe yesterday with a group of 9 people.  The ambience was acceptable, brightly lit, aisle was easily accessible.

Customer service had improved, compared to those reviews made last year on this web.  There was a wide range of food, Asian, seafood, salads, fruits, desserts.  Oysters were big, freshness was acceptable.  Salmon was a no-go, could have been fresher. So were the beef, lamb satays, too tough for my liking, could have improved on this area.

I particularly like the chilli crabs, not too spicy, just right for my taste.  Cakes were great, not too sweet.
Can go and try but price tag is a little steep so do eat slowly so that you can try all the varieties.  I did not get the opportunity to try everything eg wanton noodles, laksa, prata.
Chilli Crab

More reviews of Asian Market Cafe

Overall

Lots of food, all delicious

This cafe was my regular place when it was part of Westin, but I kinda forgot about it for a while. Re-discovered it recently and how much it has changed, quantity of food and price too. Dine only when you get 50% off.

Ambience: It's set up like a high class air conditioned kopitiam. It was unique in the earlier days, but many coffee shops have now dolled up their premises and service counters to look like this. Comfortable tables, but all rectangular.

Food: I shall start from the left counter, moving up and then doing a U turn to the right. Cold starters: oysters, prawns, flower crabs. The flower crabs were delicious, so long as you've the patience to peel it open, these small sized crabs. Then the salad counter with fresh salmon sashimi which I ate a lot, fatty stomach part and all. There was a lamb counter but it was pretty tough, ate the seafood selection: chili sting ray (not fresh), BBQed prawns - tasty, Satay (chicken n beef), freshly prepared with a tasty satay sauce, a mountain of chili crab, was good quality, fleshy and fresh, not powdery to the touch. The dessert counter is at the top of the U service counters, One dish I recall from before is the creamed durian "pengat" or paste. It was outstanding and it is still outstanding. Before I talk about the dessert, let me walk you through the right side of the food service - there were three stalls there, serving chicken rice, laksa (very delicious, highly recommended) and lastly Indian food. The prata was v good for hotel standard. Onto the dessert, I only managed to try the pineapple crumble, jelly in soy bean and fresh fruits - plus the durian I mentioned above. Very full after that.

Value: Reasonable, $55 ++ is a lot to pay for most of the stuff you cannot eat unless you're a glutton.

Service: Good but staff kept very busy.

Not worth the price

All I can say is that it wasn't worth the money. The management should improve on the variety and the standard. I was disappointed.
Management response from Asian Market Cafe, published 29 Jan 2016
Dear IMAFOODIE, Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we regret to learn about your disappointing experience. We appreciate your feedback with regards to the food and would review accordingly with our F&B team to further improve our standards. Have a great day and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future. Yours sincerely, The Management Asian Market Café
Overall

Lousy food expensive place.

The staff were polite and welcoming, but they could not makeup for the poor quality food and ambience.

1. Tables and chairs were old. My mother scratched herself on an exposed nail while helping my grandma out of her chair. The rattan seat of my chair was frayed and I had to change it myself.

2. Poor food quality. The staff were proudly proclaiming that they serve delicious chilli crabs. The crabs were big, but the flesh was dry, indicating overcooking, or it was mushy, indicating frozen crabs. The naan was tough and tasteless. The egg drop soup tasted full of msg and frozen vegetables, it doesn't have a fresh taste to it.

3. Tasteless food. The beef rendang and mutton curries looked fantastic with lots of spices, but the meat was tasteless indicating poor marinating, and the texture .was coarse and rough indicating insufficient cooking time.

4. Saving graces. The durian penyet used durian of the fantastic bittersweet variety and was excellent. The boiled cold prawns were sweet and juicy.

5. Value. Not worth the expensive price tag at a 5star hotel.

not up to standard

like the title said its not up to standard they don't refill food when theres nothing already food is not fresh too
Management response from Asian Market Cafe, published 24 Jun 2015
Dear Koh Yam Sim, Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we regret to learn about your disappointing experience. Quality and freshness of our offerings are equally important to us and we will direct your feedback to the relevant departments for a thorough review. We hope have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future. Yours sincerely, The Management Asian Market Cafe
Overall

Not bad I guess but standard dropped...

Have not been here for a number of years and the food has deteriorated. This is upsetting especially for a five star hotel location. Still, kudos to the service staff there. They were friendly at least. Food needs to be updated or changed. Undecided to give a thumbs up or thumbs down but for the staff I guess, yes.