Review for Auntie Kim's Korean Restaurant (Upper Thomson)

AsianKorean
Address: 265 Upper Thomson Road, 574392
01 Aug 2014
Overall

Please think thrice or don't even think about it

I would like to apologize is this review is going to offend any fans of this restaurant. But seriously... It's totally not worth it. It's only my first time here and I guarantee that it will also be my last time. The reason why:    1) It is not worth the price. The serving is small just like 2 pieces of pork shoulder and that's it.. $22.  The side dish plates are so big but the portion of food they served is so small for 5 people. The side dishes are only suitable for 1 person and not 5. Furthermore, there are charges for refill of side dishes.    2) The service is slow.. Even raw meat, It took them about 20 mins to serve to our table. It's Raw, not cooked meat. If Raw meat took about 20mins, how about cooked?    3) Kimchi soup is not up there. Small serving too.    Overall, I am really disappointed with this meal. Very... I hope the management will look into this. I know profit is very important to each business. But earn the profit with dignity and pride. It will only look nice if you earn profit from return customers and not 1 time off customers.

More reviews of Auntie Kim's Korean Restaurant

Tasty authentic Korean restaurant

Made a reservation on a weekend for my family of 5, and lucky I did because it was really crowded when we got there. Side dishes servings were a little small but refills were not chargeable so that's fine. Their pork shoulders, jeon (pancake), glass noodle dish were reallyyyyy good! If I wasn't so full I would have ordered more jeon. Service was good too, dishes didn't take too long to arrive. Will definitely be back again!

Overrated

Googled for the best Korean restaurant in SG and was brought to this place. Made a reservation after browsing through their online menu at http://www.auntiekim.sg/. Brought my family over, hoping to let them try the not-so-common Korean dishes that I saw on their online menu (Eg. Jjimdak and Gamjatang). Was EXTREMELY disappointed when I asked for their Dinner Special menu and was told that they did not have other menu for the day (my goodness, it's a Saturday bro). Not sure if their online menu was for the other branch at ARC (to be fair), but there were nothing indicative of that on their website (at least to my knowledge).

Fine, ordered all the common Korean dishes. Sundubu Chigae - Not spicy enough and very tasteless in my opinion; Haemul Jeon - Frozen pancake that wasn't well cooked; The only other edible one was their Ginseng Chicken, but even then, I had greater expectation of it since this was considered a pretty authentic Korean restaurant.

Plenty of staffs but service was not great.

Most authentic Korean cuisine

Most authentic Korean cuisine I have had. Brought my ex-classmates and colleagues on separate occassions, they all enjoyed it and wish to bring their friends here. My colleagues were impressed with the authentic Korean condiments (unlike those cheapo conditments in other places). Favourites would be the pancake and jap chae, i recall their facial expressions when they ate those, they went 'WAH this one also very gd!' Unexpectedly surprised. Worth a visit for authentic Korean meals!

Yummy!!!

I went there with my friends dinner recently. I greatly recommend samgyea-tang(ginseng chicken), Kimchi stew, Godungeo gui(grilled makerel), pancake and Yangnyum Kalbi(Trad. Beef short ribs marinated in special sauce). My friends and I would definitely bring our families there to eat.
Overall

Beat the crowd, beat the heat

I ate at Auntie Kim's with my friend on a Tuesday late-lunch hour and had a comfortable meal, despite how she kept pointing out to me that it was much rowdier on weekends, and that we were better off dining at these odd hours so the staff could attend to us more caringly. It was nice dining there.

The food was good and the general ambience quite pleasant. We ordered the Godengo Gui(grilled mackerel), Haemooljeon(korean pancake) and Kimchi soup between us. At first we thought the condiment portion were a little stingy(I loved their Kimchi, and was not refused several top-ups of it), but the generous serving for the mains made up for it,
Their mackerel is a hit- crispy skin, succulent flesh, and the wasabi soy sauce(?) with it gives a tangy fresh sensation. The pancake had a similar crunchy-out-chewy-in texture but the taste is different and also rather wholesome. The kimchi soup was hearty and thick, I think my favourite dish then.

Yumyum. Will brave it on weekends for the kimchi.