Reviews for Ba Xian @ Tower Club

AsianChinese
Gothic Angel

OMG!! The tea cups r branded!!! Guess wat label???

Dining at the top of the world is a luxury one would say... Dining at the top of CBD is a luxury of most bankers and traders especially when exclusive membership (by invitation oni!) is needed for such dining privilege at the prestigious Tower Club.

Located on top of Republic Plaza and spanning from 62nd - 64th penthouse floors.. Tower Club offers spectacular views and 3 floors of delectable cuisines... I've tried both e Chinese Restaurant Ba Xian or 8 immortals and Straits Bar for e buffet n drinks and i gotta say.. dining at e top of CBD? Is quite a great feeling!

Dining at Tower Club is quite a style.. Upon reaching 62nd floor.. one is greeted by e grand decor n friendly concierge n shown to another private lift that takes u to e respective level... Ba Xian is surprisingly a very nicely decorated classy yet spacious fine dining Chinese restaurant.. It has e best ambience n style of all e cheena makans i've been to.. It surprisingly oozes a business-like yet non-intimidating ambience and tables r quite spread out for that much needed privacy esp when u r talking business! It's quite a far cry from a noisy chinese resto but yet it's not quite atas tat u feel uneasy so kudos on ambience though!

The food on e other hand is less memorable than e ambience.. oh boy even the tableware is more memorable! U do realise that u r dining in luxury when your tea cups r branded! Huh branded? yes i can see your confused faces.. but i kid u not! e tea cups r from VERSACE! yes Versace! e medusa looking head n all! Boy even e chopsticks r beautifully plated with Tower Club symbol! Talk abt dining like e celebs!

I've never been impressed with e food at Ba Xian n i duno why... It's definitely good n one can even call innovative but it was never outstanding to me.. I shall review my most recent visit which i was impressed with only 2 dish! We started with some roast pork with mustard on e side.. e roast pork skin is real crispy but on e whole it's quite hard n not juicy... I suggest Tung Lok's instead. The wasabi prawns r quite decent n lightly fried n seasoned but it still lacks e wow factor unlike Golden Peony.. The fried squid with salt n pepper is light n nice but forgettable..juz go to Crystal Jade man..

Next we had e peking duck.. this i likey! The skin of e duck is real crispy n flavourful! It comes with a slice of non fatty meat which i appreciate becoz i prefer having some meat in my wrap to have more punch! The sauce n wrap n peking duck's all good so do order this! The soup tat we had is a clear broth with "san yu" (watever tat is) n some shrooms.. It's a light broth but i never really like clear fishy soup so nah.. Next came a steamed fish HK style ie soy sauce base but me no hugh fish fan so nah...

I do like e kurobuta pork in coffee sauce.. i tink it's yummy! Kurobuta pork is kinda like wagyu beef so it's a premium meat.. The pork slices we had r nicely charred on e outside yet tender n tasty on e inside.. nice! e sauce of coffee is a tad bitter n me no drink kopi so would prefer a lighter version but somehow i felt that e stronger taste is needed to bring out e whole dish so no complains! The accompany cabbage is very tastily sauteed n is a nice addition to e pork.. in all i tink it's a great dish! Although i've a colleague who juz tot it sux.. oh well..

I did not like e minced pork with salted fish wrapped in cabbage at all... i tot it was yucky!!! There's a strong yucks taste to it n i'm not sure if it's e pork or salted fish but it's soooo not good together! yucks! The carbo dish of fried rice with e peking duck meat is quite alright.. except that there's beansprouts so nah for me...

Overall i do not feel tat e food's all tat great but e view ambience n tea cups sure won me over! I'm not sure how many ppl would actually bother to read this review since most ppl on e street dun really tink of gg tower club to makan and those who do couldn't care less abt e food coz they r talking biz but at least i've said my piece n i'm happy! versace happy!
10 Jan 2014 • 473 reviews • 68 followers

Average but expensive dim sum

The lifts take you up to the entrance of Tower Club on the 62nd floor. From there, you take an internal lift from the club's lobby to the 63rd floor where Ba Xian is located. The furnishing is plush with full length windows that look out into the South China Sea. There are capsule like seats for 2 that offer a somewhat quirky dining experience.     Crispy Cuttlefish - Nicely seasoned but the flour coating was a tad too thick for my liking and so was the oil content.  Makes you sick after a while.    Pork Belly Char Siew - The BBQ pork belly had a  proportionate fat to meat ratio which made for great texture. However, the meat was rather bland and lacked any sweetness that I would usually associate with char siew.   Roasted Pork Belly - Although I love my sio bak, this was honestly a little hard to stomach and both of us were struggling to finish all 12 cubes of it. Sure, the skin was crispy but it was a tad too thick and dry for my liking. Also, as with the char siew, the meat was almost tasteless. A little more salt perhaps?    Pork & Century Egg Congee - Apart from the sticky texture of porridge that I personally like, this dish was average tasting with quantity of ingredients bordering on miserly.   Prawn with Crab Meat - Generous serving of prawns and crab meat stuffed within the crispy deep fried shell but strangely enough, there was a rather strong ginger aftertaste which I didn't like. Thank god for mayonnaise.   Sweet Corn Cake - This was the first time seeing sweet corn cake on a dim sum menu so thought it would be interesting to give it a go. Alas, it tasted like normal carrot cake with sweet corn and tiny bits of Chinese sausage embedded within. Texture wasn't exactly smooth but overall still palatable.   Chee Cheong Fun -The chee cheong fun came in 3 varieties of filling - char siew, scallop and prawn. For starters, the cheong fun was a little too thick but I was impressed by the generous amounts of scallop and char siew within. This was one of the rare occasions where I could actually make out the texture and taste of the scallop wrapped within. That said, the prawn filling was rather underwhelming though.    Siew Mai - Served with a slice of topshell, the siew mai was decent without coming across as too oily.   Har Gao - Instead of the de facto prawn taste that I was expecting, the har gao tasted overwhelming of vegetables instead. And the thicker than expected skin didn't help matters.   Even with 7 items at 50% off, the two of us still managed to chalk up a bill of $94, which is terribly expensive for the quality of food. Service and ambience is great but that hardly justifies the ridiculous price tag. So much for the positive online reviews.    See pictures here
31 Mar 2010 • 100 reviews • 8 followers

Didn't wow me

Had a business lunch there. Always love the scenes, but too bad today's kinda hazy.

Pretty good dim sum and lovely dessert. However, we waited very long for our food to come. At first it's because we were waiting for everyone to come. But when everyone was present, we asked the food to be served, yet still we have to wait..bleah...

Utensils are a bit too loud for me actually... haha..

02 Apr 2009 • 267 reviews • 25 followers

OMG!! The tea cups r branded!!! Guess wat label???