Bakerzin has closed.

Review for (Closed) Bakerzin (Paragon)

2.9

DessertsInternationalWestern
Address: #02-09 & #02-K1, Paragon, 290 Orchard Road, 238859
16 Mar 2011
Overall

Surprisingly great food and service!

Went there on a Sunday for lunch.

It was easy to find. In Paragon. Great people watching, comfy seats, not overcrowded. Very efficient, polite and attentive service. The staff got our orders correctly without us repeating or raising our voices.

The got us water and offered warm or cold water (most places don't even know to ask warm or cold or even offer water!). We had coffee and warm water. The coffee was fantastic! Came in a mug too - generous!

We had Teriyaki Pizza and a Cheeseburger. Fantastic quality!

The pizza was great! The crust was perfect but because the Teriyaki chicken had a wet marinade, the sauce made the crust a bit soggy by the end of the meal. But it was SO TASTY and so well-balanced! VERY generous in sauce, meat and veges. It came out better than the picture on the menu!! Generous size too.

The burger was the 2nd best burger we've had in Singapore (1st is Fat Boy's at Joo Chiat). Generous meat and real cheese. Very tasty and it came out HOT (unlike at Relish where it came out COLD). Very high quality ingredients and very well-balanced taste. Cooked medium as we requested. The burger had doble cheese and a creamy mushroom sauce. Oh the mushroom sauce was DIVINE!!

The side was a potato salad instead of chips. It was so good we didn't complain about the lack of chips!

Highly recommended for the food and service. The prices are steep. The pizza cost about $17+? And the burger about $26+? The coffee was standard price but in a mug it was worth it.

More reviews of Bakerzin

Bakerzin @ Orchard Paragon

This is an adapted review from my blog. Full review and more pictures are available at:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My impression of Bakerzin as a confectionery store and coffee serving cafe was challenged when I flipped through their menu and saw that they offered several main dishes as well.

I haven't tried too many of their other beverages, but their Tiramisu Cafecinno has caught my heart with its wafting fragrance, creamy smooth texture and sweet buttery taste, earning a few thumbs up from me.

Bakerzin does not hold back in their serving portion, which makes the price on the menu seemed reasonable. Take Mum's Curry Chicken for example, which at SGD16.50 sounded ridiculously pricey for a such a simple dish, but the servings was enough to feed two adults if they were not ravenous.

It gave me my very first experience with a Chocolate Souffle and Sweet Corn Panna Cotta, and  I loved these fluffy desserts. Other confectioneries listed in the menu tempted diners with vivid colors, making you wish you could just order them all, health be damned.

Disorganised management, inefficient service

As my friend had a $10 Bakerzin voucher, we decided to go there for tea and made our first order of a dessert platter. A woman who came in to pick up her cake left rather angrily after the staff messed up her order.

...Fast forward 20 minutes...

A waitress comes by to ask us "So are you ready for your order?"

We told her we were waiting for our order to arrive. She checked and told us that the order was not reflected in the system at all.

...

Okay, so it turned out we'd been waiting 20 minutes for absolutely NOTHING, but the waitress came by to offer her most humblest apologies for us waiting, so we decided to wait some more.

Ordered a cookies and cream cheesecake to while the time away.

The dessert platter did arrive in the end, but we were not compensated for anything, and had to endure the supervisor admonishing her staff in full view of the customers.

Number 2 rule in customer service and PR - Never, ever, scold your employees in front of customers.

Like others, it will be my last visit to this outlet.

Last visit.

I used to think that Bakerzin was not too bad but after this visit, I'm ensuring that it will be my last.

When my ILT was first served, it was very, very pale in color. I tasted it and true enough .....

Me: Excuse me, the iced lemon tea is very diluted, can you add in more tea?

Staff: Oh.

Staff brings back the same glass of ILT and fills it almost to the brim with the same diluted ILT and says, "Here" or something to that tune.

It's really common sense, when someone says the ILT is diluted it means make a fresh pot that doesn't taste like water with a hint of lemon and tea. Maybe, she's from China and doesn't understand English.

Nonetheless, the Aglio Olio + Prawns was not fresh. When I took the head off, it oozed black liquid and the scales were very much intact with the flesh.

Friend ordered the Bento set and the free Swiss Roll that came with it was pathetic. Last visit, ever/

Slow Service, Re-heated Food

Not only is the service VERY slow, but the food is not fresh. Probably stick with the pastries or cold dishes. The hot food is all re-heated. No taste.

Mediocre

Came here with my girlfriends on a Friday evening and we were greeted by slow service. We stood in the middle of the walkway for 5 minutes, looking in at a half filled cafe, waiting to be served. We were not greeted with a smile, didn't feel welcome at all.

The location needs a desperate update. The interior of the shop is passe. At least it didn't look like a design from 20 years ago.

I will not go into detail about my dinner. You can't really go wrong with a tomato based pasta. After all, I have lowered my expectations for this place since I'm not wow-ed by the service & setting of this location.

What I find appalling was the desserts! I often read about blogs raving about Bakerzin's macarons & souffles! And my oh my....I was really disappointed. The macarons are the usual kind I find in Singapore, awfully sweet. The souffles, beyond words (in a bad way). Take a look at the pictures on Adele's blog (too lazy to upload). Yup they pretty much look like that, after I rejected the first one. The first souffle collapsed when it arrived at the table. Absolutely disappointing. The second souffle was not as light & fluffy as I would expect. The chocolate was not aromatic as well. The alcohol smells weird.

We also opted for the Jivara tart. The tart looks haphazardly arranged, the tart base was amazingly soft. Was this an overnight tart? It's worrying to see so many cakes on the shelf & wondering which one is the fresher one.

Unlike Adele, I wouldn't say that the prices are reasonably priced. Prices can only be considered reasonable if the quality of the food is REASONABLE (this is the bottom line). I can't put a price on bad food. I'm giving Bakerzin 2 points for Food & Beverage as they didn't mess up my pasta and Earl Grey Tea.

Bakerzin is definitely not on my favorite dessert place. I will be trying Sweetspot next.