Review for Bakerzin (United Square)

DessertsInternationalWestern
Address: #01-07/60, United Square, 101 Thomson Road, 307591
04 Apr 2013
Overall

Casual setting with a rich, chocolatey cake.

I was at Bakerzin on a weekday night alone to satisfy my craving for a slice of cake. I was slightly disappointed when their best-seller, Chocolate Amer, was out of stock. I settled for Sweet Allure ($6.90) instead, as they told me it's the most similar to Chocolate Amer, except that Sweet Allure contains alcohol.

The multi-layered cake was extremely rich and chocolatey which I liked, but I couldn't differentiate between the layers in my mouth. The cake was still very much in its frosted state and the layers were still very much stuck together. The top-most layer was a thin layer of thick, glossed chocolate ganache, and the next few layers were the alcoholic sponge cake and chocolate cream intertwined. Should have waited for the cake to chill awhile. Still, I enjoyed the mildly alcoholic Sweet Allure.

I also ordered a Flat White ($4.80). It would have been much more visually attractive if there was some coffee art on it.

The entrance of the place doesn't look too welcoming as it's small. But I like the lighting and setting. I also love cafes with comfortable, individual sofa seats which they have to offer, especially for small groups (or alone).

The lady at the counter was knowledgable enough about the various cakes that they had to offer and recommended me the slices that I should try out.

PS. They also have a weekday high tea set - a slice of cake and drink for $9.80!

More reviews of Bakerzin

Cheesecake

For full review, please visit https://phuachiuyen.wordpress.com/2012/10/19/bakerzin-new-york-cheesecake/

Cheesecake lovers, you will fall for bakerzin's new york cheesecake. Delicate and sweet yet not overly cheesy.
Overall

Totally Shameless Pull Pork Burger EVER!

I have to help my friend to post this review, as i am really disappointed with Bakerzin serving of Pull Pork Burger in United Square.

I do not need to say much, as the photo speaks a thousand words. The amount of meat in the burger is smaller then a slice of tomato.

I was a fan of Bakerzin year ago as they have a great menu and the food was tasty. From the serving size in the photo, i think they do not have any pride in their food.

Sad.

Overall

Teatime set is very worth it

Bakerzin has been around for years, serving gourmet pastries as well as delicious savoury dishes. Today, we visited the outlet at United Square and got to enjoy their afternoon tea time promotion (weekdays 2-5pm) - a slice of cake and a coffee / tea for just SGD$9.80!

For the cakes, *Hallie chose the Adagio (usual price SGD$9.50) - crunchy hazelnut praline, topped with valrhona chocolate, cream, sacher sponge, and hazelnut mousse. A scoop of vanilla ice-cream will be served for the a la carte order.
The base layer was crunchy as promised, and rich with aroma of hazelnut. The chocolate itself was thick, luscious and creamy, a lovely contrast to its crackling base - a lovely indulgence for chocolate and nut lovers.

I debated between Riviera and Foret Noir (blackforest) for a long time before settling on the former (usual price SGD$8.80). The colorful Riviera is made up of genoise almond sponge layered with cherry mousse, iranian pistachio and cherry macaron. When ordered a la carte, it will be served with seasonal berries, mango and raspberry sauce.

This cake is soft and moist, with a gentle cherry flavor amongst the hints of nuts. The tiny macaron sitting atop adds a bonus crunch and sweetness to it; overall the Riviera tastes every bit as good as it looks.

For full review and more photographs, please visit:

Awesome Chocolate Scuffle!

Its desserts are just great especially its Choc Scuffle which is a must try! Their service is prompt and and real friendly waiters. Seats are really comfy too!