Summary

23pqx Dinner so-so Food on 25Apr2014

we started with the list of chef’s recommendations above.
for me the best dish was the abalone. it was about or almost the normal good restaurant standard, not better.
the rest of the dishes were kind of below par or maybe i should say just ok. however everything is relative. the price of S$26.80 is i guess pretty alright for the number of dishes,
the chilli crab was pretty ok though not spicy (as we were told by the servers).
the sharkskin soup was gluey like sometimes served in wedding dinners. i took <1/2 of the portion served.
the drunken prawn had nicely herb flavoured soup. the prawn was quite ok.
the frog legs were a bit below par say c/w the plump, meaty ones at ah yat turf city.
likewise the garlic steamed scallops with tanhoon. this should be a pretty standard dish if using live scallops, but somehow the scallop & garnishing were not tasty.
the stir-fried scallops with asparagus was also an average dish. the asparagus were quite good in texture & taste. scallops were just average. like the frog leg, this dish was lacking in ‘wok hae”, which was surprising as the baby kailan dish that came later had very good wok hae.
the deep-fried soon hock was also quite average. the fishes were crispy outside, the inside were not moist & tender as the usually good ones at most restaurants, & the sauce were not so tasty as well.
the 1/2 seabass with spicy bean sauce was good.
the roast duck was good too, flavourful but just a tad salty. compare this with the really good roast duck at noodle restaurant at centrepoint!
the 2 vegetables dishes we ordered were quite good, above average.
the baby kailan had very good wok hae.
& the spinach with superior stock was good. nice tasty stock.
the deep-fried tofu with thai sauce was much below par, both the tofu & also the sauce.
the mayo prawn salad was quite ok & refreshing though not a favourite with me.
the hae chor looks were not so appealing. the taste was just ok.
the braised goose was to me below par, which is kind of surprising for an establishment that started out as teochew restaurant 42years ago in 1972. it was not ‘pang” i.e. flavourful & texture was over boiled. my favourite is the braised duck at imperial treasure teochew restaurant at ngee ann city.
overall, food, ambience & price were quite ok for such a get-together. ala carte buffet was quite convenient, one price, easy to manage for groups & don’t really have to plan or pre-order the food, pretty much order anything you fancy. we were mostly more interested in talking, with food as a good accompaniment, so i was not paying much attention to the menu too. it’s probably not a place i would go much or soon.

Most helpful reviews for Ban Heng Restaurant (Orchard Central)

The service sucks! Don't go.

Booked a table for 11 last Sat 9-Jan-2016 for lunch. Arrived at 12:10. We were ushered to a table that was laid out for 6. I commented that the table looks too small for 11 of us. The manager (a young man) and another waitress insisted that the table is big enough for 11. We saw there were bigger empty tables and asked why we cannot be given a bigger table. The manager mentioned that these tables were already booked. The manager then rudely suggested that we can split to 2 tables. I said I am having a meal with my family and close friends. Why split us if you have bigger tables that were not occupied? Again he was rude when he said that it is normal to split tables. This really pissed me off.

We sat down and ordered our food. Then realized that these bigger empty tables were prepared for a wedding dinner taking place in the night. They could have given their lunch time guests these tables and turn around for the wedding dinner after the lunch buffet is over at 3 pm unless they are so inefficient that they cannot turn-around for the dinner within 3 hours.

The next thing that caused a lot of inconvenience to us as diners was the insufficient space on the table. We have to finish off the dishes or distribute the food so that the waiters can clear the plates before the next dish can be placed on table. We ended up rushing through our food. This made our lunch a very unpleasant experience of rushing to finish the food instead of enjoying it.

Next, we were told that we can help ourselves to the desserts on a common table. If it is a-la-carte buffet, then we expect to be served including the desserts. I don't think the restaurant will give us a discount on the service charges just because we helped ourselves to the desserts. The thing that upset us was that they took away the desserts quietly without informing us. This is most unprofessional.

Overall, the experience we encountered was unpleasant from the little to no smile on the faces of the service staff to the rude and unprofessional responses from the manager and especially to have to eat our food in a rush and in such squeezed position. We won’t be patronizing this restaurant for a long time to come.

Yes, the staff are not that friendly

I went here in a large group, as I assume everyone must, as they only have large Chinese banquet style tables. I was the unfortunate one sitting in the waitress's path, so she kept asking me to move and dripped tea on me and my stuff a few times while refilling. It's a buffet, and costs about $30 per person for lunch. A bit pricey for my tastes.

Bad service, scheming eatery. Not honorable

Service is extremely bad and undesirable. Delaying food serving all the time. Scheming eatery and restaurant managers and staff who are always having excuses for not serving the food. Small tiny tables to squeeze 10-11 people which are meant for 7 people . Exorbitant prices which makes it extremely bad for an eating experience. Bad bad bad experience. They are extremely a bad sheep in the F and B industry. Shame. Would be the LAST LAST TIME we would visit Ban Heng.

Ban Heng at harbourfront

Today we went to the restaurant and the waiting time is horribly long and when we ask them they just said there is a wedding going on but this is not an excuse if they knew that they can't handle then they shouldn't take in the reservation. And the food is not worth the wait at all. Disappointing is the word.

awful, terrible, disgusting service by managers of restaurant

Had my family's reunion dinner at orchard central ban heng, ni swear i'll never go bk 2 another ban heng again cos of a terrible experience. I understood tat wet wipes r usyally chargable, n so r snacks before a meal.These r costs which r incurred if u use them n if u dont use them,they will remain unchargable.i gathered all the wipes n put them aside. The auntie without asking us,opened a wet wipe in front of us 2 wipe a spill on our table n this prompted me 2 clarify tat we dont intend 2 use the wet wipes.She checked with the manager n came bk 2 me that the wipes r already in the $398++ set menu we ordered n will not b charged extra.I also clarified tat the tea n plain water r all part of the set n she said they were all inclusive.We only used 2 wet wipes. When presented the bill, i was charged an extra $15 FOR TEA/WET TISSUE.We tot they cld hv made a mistake n called for the manager.A rude guy manager attended 2 us, so we told him his staff said the wipes n tea were not chargable.He rudely n loudly told me 2 show me who the staff was.I walked with him back to our table and asked auntie to clarify n she said the lady manager told her so.The guy said we shld know nothing is free n that in spite of the info given by the auntie, we shld hv read the prints at the bottom of the menu tat the price excludes other charges.I told him it was precisely we knew that such items r chargable tat we opt out from the start n only cos their staff said they were not chargable tat we used them.He actually said the auntie was not their staff! I said if she wasnt their staff then y did shd serve us n that she was wearing an uniform?He carried on insisting she was not their staff.I asked him if i was supposed 2 hv asked every single staff working 2 ensure the info was correct?How cld he hv even denied that someone in banheng uniform is not their staff when she had served us the entire night?I told him i will only pay for the bill if he wrote off what they shldnt hv charged or i will not sign my bill.He threatened 2 call the police,we told him 2 go ahead,n he walked off.i asked the auntie who was the lady manger who told her the info.I went to the lady at the cashier n asked her 4 an explanation, n she said the aunite conveyed a wrong msg..She tried to offer me another 10 wipes but i still had to pay for the extras.I asked her why i would need the wipes when i didnt even use the ones i had.She caved n asked if it wld be ok if she wrote off the extras.I told her i will pay for what i was promised. If i was made to pay for what i didnt want it wld be deemed like i was cheated.I hv already ordered a meal of $400++, what is $15 to me? It's just frustrating that the rude guy tried 2 make us look like fools.I asked the lady for the rude guy's name n she refused to tell. Managed to find out his name is Xiao Xin. Ironically, he is not as 小心 as his name should be, but definitely a guy with a small heart. After he threatened us,he hid in the office n didnt come out.