Review for Bedrock Bar & Grill

AmericanAsianAustralianEuropeanJapaneseSteak and GrillsWestern
Address: #01-05, Pan Pacific Serviced Suites, 96 Somerset Road, 238163

31 Jul 2011

high aspirations...Black Angus reality

Due to the outstanding reviews on HGW, we selected Bedrock over the tried and true high-end steakhouses. Two steaks each, two sides, and wine come to S$360. Would have been average/ok except to two major problems: service and food.

Service: The worst part of the evening. Given menu then waitress later come back and asked us what we wanted. Seriously? no explanation of specials, no recommendations? We had to ask if there was anything that was recommended, and then given a very rushed statement for lady only, with no reason why it was recommended. I first thought that we had a trainee waitress and she didn't know any better, but halfway through the night, the table next to us sat down and were given a warm welcome and full discussion of the menu. I didn't need a show-and-tell like Morton's but Sizzler-like service is inexcusable at this price. No attention throughout the rest of the evening, until they presented us with the bill (while we were still trying to enjoy the last of our wine). We didn't ask for the bill, and were clearly being pushed to leave. No thank you, no nothing when the bill came back. On our way out we noticed it wasn't full and there wasn't anyone waiting in the drinks area. I was incredibly surprised of this rude abruptness and overall negligence of the evening

Food: More surprised by the poor steak. We had a US rib-eye and Aussie rib-eye. They didn't look like the same cut. The Aussie looked like a big block of meet, whilst the US looked like a traditional rib-eye cut. The Aussie brick was difficult to cut, chewy. It was an unpleasant eating experience. The US piece was tender and good to eat. The macaroni and cheese was also good. After struggling to cut the brick, I queried with one of the staff that was running by why the Aussie rib-eye didn't look like a rib-eye cut. Apparently they have their own special cut? A clear explanation wasn't given, but if we had had waitress who was at least partially thoughtful, that could have been explained in the beginning.

We also ordered wine, but there was no information given to us about the wines. They didn't bother asking us if we wanted coffee at the end of the evening. Just gave us the check.

My advice: If you must...only go for lunch and only order the Mac Cheese, but expect third rate service that doesn't match what they aspire to be. Better Advice: If you are on a budget, go to a budget steakhouse listed in HGW website, you will pay a fraction of the price, and won't feel cheated after the meal. If you have a high budget and want grill luxury, go to Morton's. I haven't tried CUTS, but heard they know how to please. Sorry, I want to support locals...but these guys don't cut it.

More reviews of Bedrock Bar & Grill

Ribeye! Mac n Cheese!

We've walked by Bedrock a hundred time and finally stopped in for dinner. We have no idea why we waited so long! The ribeye was a perfect medium temperature. Was super juicy. Really nice touch to have a hot stone platter as a plate. The Mac and Cheese coming out on the hot skillet is a must have with the steak. I am already planning a next visit for a steak again. I'd like to note that Chloe was so helpful and nice to take care of us through our meal. For your sweet tooth we had the churos. Was a bit pricey but came out nice and fresh

Decent Value Steak Set Lunches

We were craving steak but didn't fancy splurging at Morton's so dropped by Bedrock Bar & Grill for their steak set lunch since we happened to be in town during the weekend.

The interior isn't anything too fancy and sports wooden furniture, halogen lamps and a partially open concept kitchen with an island top and lots of overhanging pots and pans where you can view your bread being kneaded and baked. Window blinds provide cover from the adjacent pedestrian walkway. Overall a pretty cosy place if you happen to secure one of the booth seats.

Complimentary Flat Bread - Served with a clove of roasted garlic and butter, the piping hot flat bread came fresh out of the oven; warm, chewy and reminiscent of naan.

Classic Lobster Bisque - Relatively rich but salty even with the rather amount of chive cream, the lobster bisque boasted no lobster meat and the dubious honour of pairing best with a glass of water.

Confit Corned Chicken - This tasted like the chicken version of duck confit (duh!), just a touch more moist and a little less salty and flavourful. Accompanied by a sunny side up and crunchy, mildly salty sausages. Overall a very palatable dish but nothing to go wow over.

Woodfire Grilled Sirloin - At $58++ for the steak set lunch, this was pretty good. Relatively flavourful with a touch of salt and done medium as per my request. Meat was tender but not as juicy as I would have liked it to be. Topped with a creamy Bearnaise sauce and a side of slick and buttery mashed potato. Bread Street Kitchen, Morton's and Ruth Chris still does a meaner piece of steak but for the price, I really can't compare or complain.

Sticky Stout & Toffee Pudding - This dessert was pretty interesting - A scoop of gingernut ice cream (not a fan of ginger but this was pretty mild) plopped atop a rather sweet toffee pudding with a significant stout aftertaste. To counter the sweetness, tart red berries were placed alongside. Decent finish to our meal.

HGW happened to be running a promotion during that period so we got $10 off each set lunch ($28++ for non steak and $48++ for the steak variant). Food quality came across as decent (steak was a notch above that) and so did service. I'm honestly not inclined to return, given that Bistro Du Vin does a reasonably good steak for lunch as well and offers a more compelling value proposition in my humble opinion.

Overall

Stellar service but average food

For the full post and pictures visit toseetofeeltoeat

Bedrock Smoked Tomato Soup ($16). Delicious tomato soup with a distinctive smokey flavour. The server was so kind to arrange for the soup to be separated when he heard that we were sharing.

Chopped Steak Burger ($38). Prime beef, bacon, fried egg, mustard barbecue sauce, oak-smoked aged cheddar and fries. The boyfriend thought the beef burger was good but not as good as those he tried in New York. But I guess it is tough to beat the beef in US!

Applewood Grilled Chicken ($38). Boneless baby chicken, roasted celeriac, and white truffle butter. The white truffle butter (that slab you see sitting on the chicken) was very interesting and fragrant. However, the chicken was a little dry at some parts. It is incredibly tough to find good tender grilled chicken!

The service at Bedrock Bar and Grill was attentive and prompt. I have nothing but praise for the crew at Bedrock. Food-wise, there were hits and misses but really nothing much to scream about. I will come back using the Entertainer App but it is unlikely that I will make an effort to return to Bedrock Bar and Grill just for the food. I feel almost bad for saying this but ah, wonderful service sadly does not make up for mediocre food.
Overall

Steak is good but not for the price, and the sides are rather ordinary :/

It was good but for the price, I was not sufficiently wowed. The full review may be found here.

Service was great – attentive and pro-active with the recommendations – and the ambience is cosy and romantic with comfortable booth seating at the periphery, with just the right amount of space to lend a comfortable level of chatter from guests and yet maintain privacy. In my opinion, Wooloomooloo Steakhouse is better value, equally cosy, and with equally fantastic service.

Slightly Above Average at Best

For the complete Chubby Botak Koala experience, click here:

A quick google search for a top 10 steakhouse in Singapore, 99% chance Bedrock Bar & Grill ('Bedrock') will be listed as one of them. Bedrock pride itself to serve the finest cuts of steak and whisky, so you are not wrong to expect impeccable service here.

We were seated on the first table after the wine chiller. From here, we can get a clear view of the food bar where the cold dish are prepared. There is a rustic feel to this set up, however I personally find it lacks the classy finishing touch in the furnishing department. Also the distance between the tables are just to close, we actually struggling to hear ourself chatting because the next table was too rowdy.

For starter we had Bedrock Smoked Tomato Soup ($16). True to its name, the tomato soup has a pleasant smokey flavour, with a smooth and creamy taste to it. SH and LD enjoyed it. Complimentary flat bread was served warm and it goes down well with the rich butter. I skipped the roasted garlic as it is not to my liking.

We shared the mains of U.S.D.A Prime Dry Aged Ribeye – 300g ($96), U.S.D.A Prime tenderloin - 240g ($89) and Mangalica Pork Collar – 300g ($59). All cooked to Medium. The Rib Eye was thick and with good marbling. Cooked to medium as per order. It is lightly seasoned, tender but slightly chewy considering it was dry aged.

My appetite for good porkie seems to have grown. Mangalica Pork Collar here represent a good cut. Although some might say it is a little fat, similar to the marbling in the beef, the pork just melts in your mouth.

For sides, duck fat potatoes ($16) was good, are crispy on the outside and moist inside. It has a nice golden brown colour which looks very appetizing. Seasoning was just right. The same can be said about the fries. Sautéed mushrooms ($18) and creamed spinach ($18) did not leave a lasting impression. The mushroom tasted dry and bland. It can be better with a dollop or two of butter to polish up the dish. Meanwhile the creamed spinach, they did not use baby spinach thus it tasted a bit bitter.

Desserts review, click here.

Service really need to be improved. Based on the price charged, we expect a fine dining standard of service. However, we found the basic service etiquette was missing. Friendly smile, attentiveness and providing good recommendations seems have been booted out the door. There are times when we feel that the service staff are looking down at you instead. I sincerely hope the management can look into this.

Overall, I respect the passion that Bedrock has to allow the ingredients to speak for itself. However, when it comes to fine dining, the taste and overall experience are still the most important factors. Comparing to other steakhouses in Singapore that I visited before, a lot of work need to be done to improve the standard here. Will I be back? Unlikely. Cheers!!