Review for Bedrock Bar & Grill

AmericanAsianAustralianEuropeanJapaneseSteak and GrillsWestern
Address: #01-05, Pan Pacific Serviced Suites, 96 Somerset Road, 238163

02 Jul 2012

Disappointed the third time

The Iberico Jamon was sooo small thinly sliced, it was hard to eat. So different from the first time we had it. The toast was also stale.

Service was terrible. Only a few waiters were nice but we were still having dinner when one junior looking waiter approached us and asked us if we were willing to swop seats(to bench seating.) to accommodate a new group of guests who wanted more space. Very, very unprofessional. Immediately lost appetite. He said it right in front of his guests. Trying to pressure us to give up the seats? We rejected outrightly. In the meantime, we received stares from the group and also amused looks from the wait staff. How nice. They were always in a hurry to wanna clear our plates. I can only assume by doing so, we can get lost earlier. The female server who was initially very aloof, was extremely friendly with this new group.

If they had been professional enough, they should have asked discreetly. Furthermore, how can they ask questions like this when we had called and specifically requested for the middles tables because previously we sat at the booth seats and it was too cramp for us.

By the way, there was also another table behind us but they did not approach them. We were watching. I refuse to think that its because they are caucasians.

Used to tell people this place is not bad. But from then on, forget it. The food is also nothing to shout about.

Fail

More reviews of Bedrock Bar & Grill

Decent Value Steak Set Lunches

We were craving steak but didn't fancy splurging at Morton's so dropped by Bedrock Bar & Grill for their steak set lunch since we happened to be in town during the weekend.

The interior isn't anything too fancy and sports wooden furniture, halogen lamps and a partially open concept kitchen with an island top and lots of overhanging pots and pans where you can view your bread being kneaded and baked. Window blinds provide cover from the adjacent pedestrian walkway. Overall a pretty cosy place if you happen to secure one of the booth seats.

Complimentary Flat Bread - Served with a clove of roasted garlic and butter, the piping hot flat bread came fresh out of the oven; warm, chewy and reminiscent of naan.

Classic Lobster Bisque - Relatively rich but salty even with the rather amount of chive cream, the lobster bisque boasted no lobster meat and the dubious honour of pairing best with a glass of water.

Confit Corned Chicken - This tasted like the chicken version of duck confit (duh!), just a touch more moist and a little less salty and flavourful. Accompanied by a sunny side up and crunchy, mildly salty sausages. Overall a very palatable dish but nothing to go wow over.

Woodfire Grilled Sirloin - At $58++ for the steak set lunch, this was pretty good. Relatively flavourful with a touch of salt and done medium as per my request. Meat was tender but not as juicy as I would have liked it to be. Topped with a creamy Bearnaise sauce and a side of slick and buttery mashed potato. Bread Street Kitchen, Morton's and Ruth Chris still does a meaner piece of steak but for the price, I really can't compare or complain.

Sticky Stout & Toffee Pudding - This dessert was pretty interesting - A scoop of gingernut ice cream (not a fan of ginger but this was pretty mild) plopped atop a rather sweet toffee pudding with a significant stout aftertaste. To counter the sweetness, tart red berries were placed alongside. Decent finish to our meal.

HGW happened to be running a promotion during that period so we got $10 off each set lunch ($28++ for non steak and $48++ for the steak variant). Food quality came across as decent (steak was a notch above that) and so did service. I'm honestly not inclined to return, given that Bistro Du Vin does a reasonably good steak for lunch as well and offers a more compelling value proposition in my humble opinion.

Overall

Stellar service but average food

For the full post and pictures visit toseetofeeltoeat

Bedrock Smoked Tomato Soup ($16). Delicious tomato soup with a distinctive smokey flavour. The server was so kind to arrange for the soup to be separated when he heard that we were sharing.

Chopped Steak Burger ($38). Prime beef, bacon, fried egg, mustard barbecue sauce, oak-smoked aged cheddar and fries. The boyfriend thought the beef burger was good but not as good as those he tried in New York. But I guess it is tough to beat the beef in US!

Applewood Grilled Chicken ($38). Boneless baby chicken, roasted celeriac, and white truffle butter. The white truffle butter (that slab you see sitting on the chicken) was very interesting and fragrant. However, the chicken was a little dry at some parts. It is incredibly tough to find good tender grilled chicken!

The service at Bedrock Bar and Grill was attentive and prompt. I have nothing but praise for the crew at Bedrock. Food-wise, there were hits and misses but really nothing much to scream about. I will come back using the Entertainer App but it is unlikely that I will make an effort to return to Bedrock Bar and Grill just for the food. I feel almost bad for saying this but ah, wonderful service sadly does not make up for mediocre food.
Overall

Steak is good but not for the price, and the sides are rather ordinary :/

It was good but for the price, I was not sufficiently wowed. The full review may be found here.

Service was great – attentive and pro-active with the recommendations – and the ambience is cosy and romantic with comfortable booth seating at the periphery, with just the right amount of space to lend a comfortable level of chatter from guests and yet maintain privacy. In my opinion, Wooloomooloo Steakhouse is better value, equally cosy, and with equally fantastic service.

Slightly Above Average at Best

For the complete Chubby Botak Koala experience, click here:

A quick google search for a top 10 steakhouse in Singapore, 99% chance Bedrock Bar & Grill ('Bedrock') will be listed as one of them. Bedrock pride itself to serve the finest cuts of steak and whisky, so you are not wrong to expect impeccable service here.

We were seated on the first table after the wine chiller. From here, we can get a clear view of the food bar where the cold dish are prepared. There is a rustic feel to this set up, however I personally find it lacks the classy finishing touch in the furnishing department. Also the distance between the tables are just to close, we actually struggling to hear ourself chatting because the next table was too rowdy.

For starter we had Bedrock Smoked Tomato Soup ($16). True to its name, the tomato soup has a pleasant smokey flavour, with a smooth and creamy taste to it. SH and LD enjoyed it. Complimentary flat bread was served warm and it goes down well with the rich butter. I skipped the roasted garlic as it is not to my liking.

We shared the mains of U.S.D.A Prime Dry Aged Ribeye – 300g ($96), U.S.D.A Prime tenderloin - 240g ($89) and Mangalica Pork Collar – 300g ($59). All cooked to Medium. The Rib Eye was thick and with good marbling. Cooked to medium as per order. It is lightly seasoned, tender but slightly chewy considering it was dry aged.

My appetite for good porkie seems to have grown. Mangalica Pork Collar here represent a good cut. Although some might say it is a little fat, similar to the marbling in the beef, the pork just melts in your mouth.

For sides, duck fat potatoes ($16) was good, are crispy on the outside and moist inside. It has a nice golden brown colour which looks very appetizing. Seasoning was just right. The same can be said about the fries. Sautéed mushrooms ($18) and creamed spinach ($18) did not leave a lasting impression. The mushroom tasted dry and bland. It can be better with a dollop or two of butter to polish up the dish. Meanwhile the creamed spinach, they did not use baby spinach thus it tasted a bit bitter.

Desserts review, click here.

Service really need to be improved. Based on the price charged, we expect a fine dining standard of service. However, we found the basic service etiquette was missing. Friendly smile, attentiveness and providing good recommendations seems have been booted out the door. There are times when we feel that the service staff are looking down at you instead. I sincerely hope the management can look into this.

Overall, I respect the passion that Bedrock has to allow the ingredients to speak for itself. However, when it comes to fine dining, the taste and overall experience are still the most important factors. Comparing to other steakhouses in Singapore that I visited before, a lot of work need to be done to improve the standard here. Will I be back? Unlikely. Cheers!!

Good Place

This is a great place for date night. Service and food are both very good. Tomato soup is a must try. The steaks are not cheap but thats the pirce for fine dining these days. Including 2 galsses of house pour each we spent $110 each.