Reviews for Bedrock Bar & Grill

AmericanAsianAustralianEuropeanJapaneseSteak and GrillsWestern
Address: #01-05, Pan Pacific Serviced Suites, 96 Somerset Road, 238163

28 Dec 2015

Decent Value Steak Set Lunches

We were craving steak but didn't fancy splurging at Morton's so dropped by Bedrock Bar & Grill for their steak set lunch since we happened to be in town during the weekend.

The interior isn't anything too fancy and sports wooden furniture, halogen lamps and a partially open concept kitchen with an island top and lots of overhanging pots and pans where you can view your bread being kneaded and baked. Window blinds provide cover from the adjacent pedestrian walkway. Overall a pretty cosy place if you happen to secure one of the booth seats.

Complimentary Flat Bread - Served with a clove of roasted garlic and butter, the piping hot flat bread came fresh out of the oven; warm, chewy and reminiscent of naan.

Classic Lobster Bisque - Relatively rich but salty even with the rather amount of chive cream, the lobster bisque boasted no lobster meat and the dubious honour of pairing best with a glass of water.

Confit Corned Chicken - This tasted like the chicken version of duck confit (duh!), just a touch more moist and a little less salty and flavourful. Accompanied by a sunny side up and crunchy, mildly salty sausages. Overall a very palatable dish but nothing to go wow over.

Woodfire Grilled Sirloin - At $58++ for the steak set lunch, this was pretty good. Relatively flavourful with a touch of salt and done medium as per my request. Meat was tender but not as juicy as I would have liked it to be. Topped with a creamy Bearnaise sauce and a side of slick and buttery mashed potato. Bread Street Kitchen, Morton's and Ruth Chris still does a meaner piece of steak but for the price, I really can't compare or complain.

Sticky Stout & Toffee Pudding - This dessert was pretty interesting - A scoop of gingernut ice cream (not a fan of ginger but this was pretty mild) plopped atop a rather sweet toffee pudding with a significant stout aftertaste. To counter the sweetness, tart red berries were placed alongside. Decent finish to our meal.

HGW happened to be running a promotion during that period so we got $10 off each set lunch ($28++ for non steak and $48++ for the steak variant). Food quality came across as decent (steak was a notch above that) and so did service. I'm honestly not inclined to return, given that Bistro Du Vin does a reasonably good steak for lunch as well and offers a more compelling value proposition in my humble opinion.

More reviews of Bedrock Bar & Grill

Good Steak Place

Very solid restaurant.  I've been there about 5 times now, and each time I've left happy with both the food and service.  I must say that I think that service is one of the strong points of Bedrock, the servers are some of the most knowledgable servers that I've come acrross in Singapore.  The steaks are good, cooked properly, and the side's are great.  The ribeye that I usually order is fantastic, and the truffle mash and the mac and cheese are must tries.

Tender pork steak

Sliding into one of the comfy leather booths, I asked a waiter for recommendation as it was my first time dining at Bedrock Bar & Grill. I was recommended their specialty steaks - Porterhouse Duroc Pork Steak, a lovely change from my usual beef steaks. Whisky lovers will love their whisky bar that stocks a variety of the liquor.

Consistently good

Been here @12 times. Always good. Smoky tomato soup is a favorite. Also, anyone who adds bacon to onion soup is OK with me. Always favor the tenderloin, but the sea bass is good too. Sides are all good, especially truffle fries and root vegetables. Apple crumble is our favorite dessert. Also love the ambience (only deducting a point because the loo is so far away). Enjoy!

Bedrock For Dinner On 6 November 2009

Went back to Bedrock today with the wife at the invitation of Mr. Kevin Khoo, The Manager. Items ordered were:

- half dozen oysters

- 2 X Australian ribeyes done medium, one with the pinot noir reduction and the other with the hot whisky mustard

- truffle fries

- rocket salad

- black forest dome for dessert

- 2 X San Pellegrino /w lemon slices

The wife had the oysters and commented that they were very fresh and delicious. I must also say that they are some of the biggest live oysters I have ever seen. The ribeyes were done perfectly this time round and the sides were wonderful. I am really glad I decided to try the hot whiskey mustard instead of sticking the black pepper sauce, which I really liked too. The truffle fries were excellent and I would return just for the fries alone! The rocket salad was decent, ordinary possibly, but no complains from me as one mediocre side out of an outstanding full steak dinner is definitely acceptable. The black forest dome was really rich but very satisfying if shared and accompanied by a strong cup of espresson/coffee or tea.

Overall, this evening's dining experience was what I expected from all the rave reviews and I was not disappointed at all. The Manager appears to be a soft spoken gentleman who gets the job done. Our previous less than satisfying dining experience was followed by a personal apologetic phone call and invitation by him within the hour.

I would definitely return in the near future. Thanks Kevin!

Bedrock For Dinner On 30 October 2009

Typically, I would wait 6 months after a restaurant opens so that they can smooth out opening kinks before trying them. However, I have read/heard enough good things about Bedrock to make an exception.

Service was good but the Indian waiter's attempt at a Morton-ish menu presentation was marred by his thick accent and was comical at best. The wife and I both ordered the Pepper Steak. Her's was ordered medium-well and mine medium but they both turned out beyond well-done at the point of serving. Having the steak served on a sizzling plate only made things worse as by the time I finished half of my steak, the other half was just too tough.

To be fair, the Captain did offer to change my steak but I politely declined. For a steakhouse to mess up both steaks on a 2 steak order was just inexcuseable. The shoe string fries were good but nothing to write home to mama about. The sauteed mushrooms were decent too although a little bland. For dessert, we ordered the Crumble For Two and this was disappointing too. The crumble tasted a little burnt and the filling was not sweet enough for a dessert. A little more cinnamom might have helped too.

The best item we ordered was deinitely my trusty San Pellegrino. In the end, one steak was waived from our bill although I did not make any fuss over the overcooked steaks. May return to try them in 3 months only because there is a lack of decently priced quality steakhouses around. In the meantime, it's back to Morton's to clean my palate...