Reviews for Bedrock Bar & Grill

AmericanAsianAustralianEuropeanJapaneseSteak and GrillsWestern
Address: #01-05, Pan Pacific Serviced Suites, 96 Somerset Road, 238163

28 Dec 2015

Decent Value Steak Set Lunches

We were craving steak but didn't fancy splurging at Morton's so dropped by Bedrock Bar & Grill for their steak set lunch since we happened to be in town during the weekend.

The interior isn't anything too fancy and sports wooden furniture, halogen lamps and a partially open concept kitchen with an island top and lots of overhanging pots and pans where you can view your bread being kneaded and baked. Window blinds provide cover from the adjacent pedestrian walkway. Overall a pretty cosy place if you happen to secure one of the booth seats.

Complimentary Flat Bread - Served with a clove of roasted garlic and butter, the piping hot flat bread came fresh out of the oven; warm, chewy and reminiscent of naan.

Classic Lobster Bisque - Relatively rich but salty even with the rather amount of chive cream, the lobster bisque boasted no lobster meat and the dubious honour of pairing best with a glass of water.

Confit Corned Chicken - This tasted like the chicken version of duck confit (duh!), just a touch more moist and a little less salty and flavourful. Accompanied by a sunny side up and crunchy, mildly salty sausages. Overall a very palatable dish but nothing to go wow over.

Woodfire Grilled Sirloin - At $58++ for the steak set lunch, this was pretty good. Relatively flavourful with a touch of salt and done medium as per my request. Meat was tender but not as juicy as I would have liked it to be. Topped with a creamy Bearnaise sauce and a side of slick and buttery mashed potato. Bread Street Kitchen, Morton's and Ruth Chris still does a meaner piece of steak but for the price, I really can't compare or complain.

Sticky Stout & Toffee Pudding - This dessert was pretty interesting - A scoop of gingernut ice cream (not a fan of ginger but this was pretty mild) plopped atop a rather sweet toffee pudding with a significant stout aftertaste. To counter the sweetness, tart red berries were placed alongside. Decent finish to our meal.

HGW happened to be running a promotion during that period so we got $10 off each set lunch ($28++ for non steak and $48++ for the steak variant). Food quality came across as decent (steak was a notch above that) and so did service. I'm honestly not inclined to return, given that Bistro Du Vin does a reasonably good steak for lunch as well and offers a more compelling value proposition in my humble opinion.

More reviews of Bedrock Bar & Grill

Overall

Pretty average if not for the service

Ambience - Had a birthday dinner here & its too dim! Even if I came here for a romantic dinner, I hate not being able to see what I'm eating.. i even accidentally put a detested beetroot in my mouth! Anyway, we were the first customers at 7.15pm & the rest of the guests streamed in around 8.30pm. Service was great tho', very polite, very prompt *two thumbs up*

Food - had my bday at Morton's a year ago (what to do? i love my steaks!) so the tenderloin left me wanting.. Pork belly was average, the lauded smoked tomato soup was too watery for my taste, truffled Mac & Cheese was yummy-licious & creamed spinach..hmm.. like that lor.. Black Forest cake was rich & not too sweet + my complimentary bday cake was pretty standard (their bday song was a nice touch)

Bill - $121 after 10% Citibank promo..

Conclusion - usually we always burst at the end of celebratory meals but 3 gals with average appetites, sharing a soup, 2 mains, 2 sides, & 2 desserts AND 6 slices of naan didn't really satisfy us.. well, me at least. Sorry Bedrock, you've seen the last of us..

(sorry for the poor pictures, i suck at photography!)

Excellent Dining Experience

It was my wife's birthday and I booked a table.

We were greeted at the entrance and quickly shown to our seats. I like the internal decor and the lighting is just right for a nice romantic dinner.

Then the waiter came and patiently explained the menu to us. Very impressed with his knowledge in the menu items and I took all of his recommendations:

1) Wood smoked tomato soup

2) Waygu beef tenderlion with 4 sauces

3) Grilled pork belly

4) Some imported bean

5) A bottle of red wine from Napa Valley

6) A slice of chocolate fudge cake (complimentary birthday item)

The food was near to excellent though my wife found the steak a bit too salty (I think it's the whisky mustard sauce).

What impressed me most is the service. The service staff were friendly and knowledgeable.

Bedrock

In short, it was a wonderful experience, the complimentary bread is freshly baked (taste excellent) The steaks were juicy and tender, nicely cooked to the correct texture both of us wanted. My partner - Australian Ribeye Myself - US Tenderloin Good portion. The ambience is nice. The service was "too good". Too much attention from everyone checking if "Everything was OK". We had, 1x Soup for starter (shared, as we are small eater) 2x Steaks 1x Fries for side (shared, again) Spend = less than $140 in total.

Rock on, Bedrock!

Celebrated my bf's birthday with a birthday lunch at Bedrock. I am a fan of Oriole, so it’s no surprise that I turned to its upmarket sister restaurant, Bedrock for this special occasion.

The interior looks nothing like a caveman's abode but a classy NY steakhouse. Lightly dim and cozy but in a non-intimating way, it is versatile for a quiet dinner for two or a friendly group gathering. We decided on a lunch instead of dinner, since it offers a highly economical set lunch at SGD 35++ per pax, with a good selection to choose from.

We started off with their nicely warmed flat bread that is accompanied with a fragrant garlic clove and butter. It is like garlic bread but in a deconstructed way. Kudos to them for deviating from the regular olive oil and balsamic vinegar combi. The bread is a worthy mention by itself - soft and fluffy, it is easy on the jaw. I can eat this everyday for breakfast.

Next, we warmed our tummies with the Bedrock Smoked Tomato Soup. Made with Roma tomatoes, it definitely lives up to its name with that smoky and tangy flavour, that whets your appetite for more to come. Basically, comfort food at its best. The Panko Caesar comes with a nicely poached egg, bacon strips and large flakes of Parmesan cheese. It could get slightly salty after one too many bites though.

My bf chose the Steak Frites, which was a tender portion of striploin that comes with a thin rim of fat for added texture and done to our medium-rare liking. Love the fries, which have this truffle tinge to it. I went with the Crispy Skin Seabass. Crackling on the outside and sweet on the insides, it was coupled nicely with the tomatoes chunks and olives underneath it.

The waiter recommended Red Wine Pear and Bedrock Ice Cream Sandwich for desserts and they definitely rocked! The former was an interesting dessert with flavours that fully compliment each other. The latter was salted caramel ice cream sandwiched between macadamia nut biscuit, which was a truly beautiful combination. I am a fan of salted caramel to begin with, so I’m sold on it.

The staffs there are extremely professional and possess good knowledge of their dishes, which aid in offering recommendations or when introducing their menu. Their friendliness and warmth provides this personalized touch, which at times may be lacking at good restaurants.

For photos, pls go to http://wildrocketing.blogspot.com/2009/08/rock-on-bedrock.html

Overwhelming

After eating at its neighbour Oriole's, and hearing that it was ran by the same person, I decided I had to try bedrock.

I went down for dinner, the place was dark but warmly lit by orange hues of lamps. Ambience was excellent as expected. The kitchen had already started work and fragrance of ham and seasoned meat flitted through as we walked past it. This ignited my appetite

Anyway! MAC and CHEESE! must must try really yummy the cheese has a hint of blu cheese in it and other cheese that blands to produce a texture that is melty creamy mozarella. The bacon in cheese dip another must try.

Oh and soup! excellent french onion soup with cheese blasted on top and a toast floating right at the top.

SO as you can tell I LOVE CHEESE and bedrock sure maximised its potential :D

For mains I had a steak - regretted could not finish due to heavy entree.

Lastly I ordered a lemon tossed bowl of rockets to clear up the flavours.

An interesting meal but not something I would wish to eat everydya.

Pricing is very reasonable as mac and cheese was approx 15bucks?

Steak at 55 bucks?

Soup at 8 bucks as well?

Not exorbitant no doubt.

goody! can try! especially if you love cheese