Back to Bedrock Bar & Grill#01-05, Pan Pacific Serviced Suites, 96...

Smoked Tomato Soup5 votes

Corporate Events4 votes

yummyheidi
 • 06 Apr 2010 1 review 0 follower
Overall
Was there with my husband on a Monday and was surprise to see the place 90% occupied. Wonderful service, warm & friendly staffs, yummy food... I will definitely visit again as I didnt get the chance to try out their signature apple crumble!

Must tries: hot whiskey mustard sauce to go with the steak

Lunch, Dinner, Romance/First Dates, Girls Night Out, After Work, Private Dining, Quiet

Joshua Ong
 • 29 Mar 2010 55 reviews 8 followers
Overall
In spite of glowing reviews, I'd never heard of this place until I stepped into it for lunch with 3 colleagues.  Maybe that's because I've never been much of a steak fan: why pay so much for something I can quite easily make on my own with a good hunk of meat?  And if you think about it, steak is usually a monotonous dish - you keep chewing on the same piece of meat for say, half an hour, with perhaps only occasional bites of sides like fries or some vague salad.

Having said that, I liked the warm, contemporary setting of this place.  It was cosy and homely, even though some of the tables were a tad close to each other.  You can almost imagine yourself in a trendy New York neighbourhood, that is if you don't happen to look out the part-blinded windows to see the heavy foot traffic to 313 Somerset!

We all chose the set lunch ($35), which gives one the choice from a list of 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts.  I had no hesitations about choosing the porcini ravioli to start.  This is a challenge for most cooks to get right, and I was going to judge them on the basis of this dish and not my main :-)  While waiting, we got to try the bread served with whole cloves of garlic.  A first for me: the flat bread scored points for being warm, but wasn't fragrant enough.  I garlic was soaked in a small dish of olive oil, but again, I felt that it lacked taste.  If they want to serve bread this way, they should source for the freshest, most aromatic garlic!

Happily enough, I wasn't disappointed with the starter, and would even say that this was better than my main.  The porcini (a type of mushroom with woody, heady overtones) in the ravioli was very fine and extremely well-seasoned, and cooked just nice; the parmigiano shavings and the truffle sauce were the perfect companion to it.  Ok, so it's very rich and sinful, but I have absolutely no qualms about putting on the extra calories for a treat like that!

For the mains, we could choose between a steak, a lamb rib and grilled salmon.  The waiter took pains to explain the cooking style behind each choice.  I was certainly not going to choose the steak frites, which is the most basic thing any bistro in France would have on its menu.  Anyway how else can you cook steak, besides grilling and frying??  Thus I opted for the lamb rib.  Admittedly, I wasn't too keen on the sound of the accompanying BBQ sauce, but we were told it was smoked with real hickory wood.  When it came, the lamb was tender and meaty, just a little charred on the outside as is the trend nowadays.  The sauce didn't have the cheap industrial taste either, but was deep and earthy, making it a good complement to the meat.  I had a bite of the steak option just to satisfy my curiosity.  Done medium rare, it was fairly tender, but had been cut too thin for my liking and lacked oomph.

I don't recall the name of my dessert.  It looked terribly plain, like a chocolate swiss roll on a sea of crème anglaise.  However, it tasted a lot better than it looked: the chocolate cake was dense and packed some real chocolate taste; the sauce was a little thin and insipid, but passable.

No complaints about the service, which was true to the spirit of the place: friendly and casual, helpful when questioned.  All in all, this was a fairly good experience and I wouldn't mind coming back again on occasion.

Must tries: Porcini ravioli

Lunch, Dinner, Large Groups/Gathering, Children/Family, Romance/First Dates, Boys Night Out, Girls Night Out, After Work, Quiet

Serendipitious
 • 29 Mar 2010 17 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Tried this for the first time during Restaurant Week; had heard about it some and quite like it.

The food and service were v good. Steak is their specialty and I felt their menu showcases their specialities well. The applewood smoked tomato soup was delicious and unique, though I was more than a tad disappointed that they clearly gave us a half-portion. Could it really be that expensive?? At least they could or should switch the serving bowl.

The grass-fed ribeye was good - the manager was chatting with me when it arrived, so it wasn't piping hot when I actually ate it, which makes a difference. Still tasted good though, and I appreciated the thin slice (though not the guys, I guess). Fries were good but not as good as I'd have thought given the preceding reviews.

Dessert was a dark Valrhona choc cake which was yummy; tough to go wrong with this but it was good anyway. Given how other reviews rave about the apple pie, I'd have liked that to be on the menu instead - yes, even in place of my beloved choc!

They had some a la carte options that looked intriguing - whole roast lamb etc that'd be great for sharing with a group. They also offered roasted bone marrow with parsley, which I'd like to try, along with the apple pie.

So yes, I'd prob be back to try more!

Must tries: Steak; applewood smoked tomato soup

Supper, Lunch, Dinner, Romance/First Dates, Business Dining, Boys Night Out, Girls Night Out, After Work, Chillout