Summary

Smoked Tomato Soup, The steak selection, Bedrock Pepper Steak, Macaroni cheese, tenderloin, Duck, Hokkaido Scallops & Chorizo, Ribeye cap steak, apple crumble, steaks + fries, tomahawk steak, Bedrock steak, Bone Marrow, Bread with Roasted Garlic, Calamansi Pie, Cheeky Beef pie, Complimentary Bread, Crispy skin seabass, Dark Side, Garlic soup, Ice Cream Sandwhich, Jamon Iberico, Mangalica Pork Collar, Porcini ravioli, Red Wine Pear, Striploin, Truffle Mash sides and Maccoroni Cheese entree/sides, U.S.D.A Prime Dry Aged Ribeye, Whisky Sour, asparagus soup, cauliflower, cauliflower au gratin, duck fat potatoes, flatbread, hot whiskey mustard sauce to go with the steak, inhouse bread, roast pork belly, side dishes, waffles, waygu View all
Dinner, Romance/First Dates, Lunch, After Work, Business Dining, Wine Lists, Girls Night Out, Quiet, Boys Night Out, Large Groups/Gathering, Private Dining, Hidden Find, Fine Dining, Chillout, Vibrant/Noisy, Anniversary, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Corporate Events, Children/Family View all

Great Lunch set offer

To view the full post and pictures, go to:

This time I decided to try out the lunch set which they still offer over weekends. Surprise Surprise, I thought usually lunch sets will only be available during weekdays.

The price for a lunch set which includes steak is $58++, I thought this price was really reasonable for the quality of beef and get an appetizer and dessert of my choice. For non-beef eaters, it is $38++ for non-steak dishes – Chicken and fish were available. They just updated their menu slightly last week so I was pleasantly surprised when I got there.

Char Grilled Baby Gem
I ordered this and it turned out delightfully refreshing with balsamic vinegar. The slightly charred roasted baby gems added a punch on top of its crunchy juicy leaves. I liked the overall flavors mixed together with the grilled bacon. Indeed yum.

Irish Dry Aged Ribeye

Presentation was simple with the Ribeye lying atop a bed of sauteed mushrooms. The Ribeye was well seared on both sides, tender and easy to slice. It was succulent and juicy with every morsel. I managed to finish the entire dish myself, which is rare for me when it comes to steak. I highly recommend this.

Sticky Stout and Toffee Pudding

I always love Sticky Toffee Pudding and this one was accompanied by cool Ginger Nut ice cream. I bit into the warm soft sticky pudding, and the cold ice cream dancing around in my mouth as it melted. The ginger taste added a punch which I thought was really interesting. I cleared this plate within seconds! Truly a comforting dessert!

Lobster Bisque

With so many hits, unfortunately the Lobster Bisque was a miss. It had a bitter after-taste after having a few spoonfuls.

Sliced Woodfire -Grilled NY Steak

The Woodfire Grilled NY Steak was also very well seared on both sides, with a pinkish-reddish hue when sliced open (she ordered medium). The NY Steak was tender but still not as tender as the Irish Dry Age Ribeye. My friend opted for the mashed potatoes instead of fries. That decision was the best decision ever as we both enjoyed the creamy mashed potatoes so much.

Chocolate Profiteroles with Affogato Ice cream

My friend also thoroughly enjoyed the Chocolate Profiteroles with coffee ice cream. And even though she was full from her steak, she managed to finish her entire dessert.

Paying $58++ for appetizer, main and dessert I thought this was a really good deal considering the serving portion wasn’t small and the quality of steak was great. I would definitely come back again for their lunch set if I have another chance. The service staff were very attentive and were constantly checking on us and asking us how the food was.

Most helpful reviews for Bedrock Bar & Grill

Bedrock

In short, it was a wonderful experience, the complimentary bread is freshly baked (taste excellent) The steaks were juicy and tender, nicely cooked to the correct texture both of us wanted. My partner - Australian Ribeye Myself - US Tenderloin Good portion. The ambience is nice. The service was "too good". Too much attention from everyone checking if "Everything was OK". We had, 1x Soup for starter (shared, as we are small eater) 2x Steaks 1x Fries for side (shared, again) Spend = less than $140 in total.

Rock on, Bedrock!

Celebrated my bf's birthday with a birthday lunch at Bedrock. I am a fan of Oriole, so it’s no surprise that I turned to its upmarket sister restaurant, Bedrock for this special occasion.

The interior looks nothing like a caveman's abode but a classy NY steakhouse. Lightly dim and cozy but in a non-intimating way, it is versatile for a quiet dinner for two or a friendly group gathering. We decided on a lunch instead of dinner, since it offers a highly economical set lunch at SGD 35++ per pax, with a good selection to choose from.

We started off with their nicely warmed flat bread that is accompanied with a fragrant garlic clove and butter. It is like garlic bread but in a deconstructed way. Kudos to them for deviating from the regular olive oil and balsamic vinegar combi. The bread is a worthy mention by itself - soft and fluffy, it is easy on the jaw. I can eat this everyday for breakfast.

Next, we warmed our tummies with the Bedrock Smoked Tomato Soup. Made with Roma tomatoes, it definitely lives up to its name with that smoky and tangy flavour, that whets your appetite for more to come. Basically, comfort food at its best. The Panko Caesar comes with a nicely poached egg, bacon strips and large flakes of Parmesan cheese. It could get slightly salty after one too many bites though.

My bf chose the Steak Frites, which was a tender portion of striploin that comes with a thin rim of fat for added texture and done to our medium-rare liking. Love the fries, which have this truffle tinge to it. I went with the Crispy Skin Seabass. Crackling on the outside and sweet on the insides, it was coupled nicely with the tomatoes chunks and olives underneath it.

The waiter recommended Red Wine Pear and Bedrock Ice Cream Sandwich for desserts and they definitely rocked! The former was an interesting dessert with flavours that fully compliment each other. The latter was salted caramel ice cream sandwiched between macadamia nut biscuit, which was a truly beautiful combination. I am a fan of salted caramel to begin with, so I’m sold on it.

The staffs there are extremely professional and possess good knowledge of their dishes, which aid in offering recommendations or when introducing their menu. Their friendliness and warmth provides this personalized touch, which at times may be lacking at good restaurants.

For photos, pls go to http://wildrocketing.blogspot.com/2009/08/rock-on-bedrock.html

Overwhelming

After eating at its neighbour Oriole's, and hearing that it was ran by the same person, I decided I had to try bedrock.

I went down for dinner, the place was dark but warmly lit by orange hues of lamps. Ambience was excellent as expected. The kitchen had already started work and fragrance of ham and seasoned meat flitted through as we walked past it. This ignited my appetite

Anyway! MAC and CHEESE! must must try really yummy the cheese has a hint of blu cheese in it and other cheese that blands to produce a texture that is melty creamy mozarella. The bacon in cheese dip another must try.

Oh and soup! excellent french onion soup with cheese blasted on top and a toast floating right at the top.

SO as you can tell I LOVE CHEESE and bedrock sure maximised its potential :D

For mains I had a steak - regretted could not finish due to heavy entree.

Lastly I ordered a lemon tossed bowl of rockets to clear up the flavours.

An interesting meal but not something I would wish to eat everydya.

Pricing is very reasonable as mac and cheese was approx 15bucks?

Steak at 55 bucks?

Soup at 8 bucks as well?

Not exorbitant no doubt.

goody! can try! especially if you love cheese

Bedrock ....... Will it be THE steak house in Singapore

Bedrock Bar & Grill is another Keith Loh’s brainchild that tries to share the pie among the better steak houses in Singapore. The name, Bedrock, would let many connect with the cartoon Flintstone and I expected a cliché Stone Age theme restaurant. However, the whole time I was in the restaurant, I did not feel like Flintstone inside a cave home at all. The place is warm, casual and comfortably spacious.

As I stepped into the restaurant, the bar tender was quick to usher me to a bar stool as soon as he knew that the rest of my party had not arrive. The waiters were quick in getting me to order a pre-dinner drink just to kill my waiting time, however, HY arrived in time to “rescue” me before I start ordering my drink. But don’t get me wrong, they were not pushy and I think I’ll really have a “kill-time” drink if I would have arrived 10 minutes earlier. I’ll rather have a drink at the cool, yet cozy bar then to wait alone at the dinner table.

A short narrow passage opens up into the dining area where you’ll be welcomed by the open worktable where the chefs were busy preparing and arranging our dinner. The dining area was adorned with dim cozy light and the chefs’ worktable was lighted up with more intensity for obvious reasons. What caught my eye on the worktable was the leg of ham, reddish and laced with fats. I recognized it as the Jamon Iberico. It’s the “revered” Spanish ham that is mentioned by Peter Kaminsky in his book, “Perfect Pig”. The interior décor is not as Stone Age as I expected. The only hint of anything cave-like is the 3 intentionally created “enclaves” that are use as private dining areas.

Complimentary Pre-dinner Carbo - The complimentary pre-dinner carbo needs a mention. This baked dough looked like roti prata disguising as a naan. It tasted well with the butter, but especially appetizing with garlic immersed in olive oil. We asked for another serving which took some time because everyone’s asking for more

Roma Tomato Soup - All of us had the Roma Tomato Soup, which I think was pretty good. Although I must admit that my friend’s comment about the soup tasting a bit like BBQ sauce quite true.

Starter

'Ham & Cheese' Our Way (S$45), Shaved Jamon Iberico, aged manchego, quince paste. – As you would expect, this dish was on my table. The Jamon Iberico is widely revered because in Spain ham makers still believe in the traditional process of curing the ham for 3~4 years with corn fed hogs. This “pedigree” hog, Iberico, is a much fatter species that enables the curing process to last that long. Many big ham names have reduced curing to 6 months curing just to get the ham out to the market as soon as possible. This ham having been subjected to a longer curing period, resulted in a more complex taste than some other hams that I had!

The Mains

Twice Cooked Duck (S$36), Crispy duck leg, parsnip puree, poached black mission figs - The duck skin is crispy and the meat inside still tender and sweet. The manager recommends this dish for the non-steak mains.

US Striploin (S$68), meyer angus dry aged striploin 250g – For the leaner cut, striploin is the best, apart from the more expensive tenderloin. Expect be dry as there’s lesser fats in the meat. For big portions, the striploin can feel dryer as you work on your steak.

Australian Ribeye (S$42) 250g – The tenderloin from Australia is much juicier than the US striploin (photo is blurred so nothing to show here).

The French red that we order off the winelist goes well with our food. From my observation of us folks that ordered steaks, we’ll definitely pay Morton’s a visit soon for a benchmarking.

Dessert

Apple crumble with ice cream – This is indeed a good recommendation by the manager. The apple crumble was worth the 20mins wait. Buttery crust and soft, but not overly sweet apple filling.

The Dark Side, Valrhona Dark Chocolate Cake – Another good dessert but the apple crumble outshines this chocolate cake.

Cafe Latte and Cappuccinos – Our dinner ends with some café latte and cappuccinos. I'm glad we ordered them. I came to know only later that these must be among the best gourmet coffees in Singapore. the No. 1 and 2 barrista that emerge from the Singapore Barrista Championship 2009, are John Ting and Keith Loh. John Ting is the assistant manager at Oriole Cafe (right beside Bedrock) and Keith Loh is the owner of Bedrock. The thick creamy milk tasted real good with the espresso. I’m glad that to have good café lattes in F&B places that I’ve visited recently.

I'm quite glad that the interior decor wasn't pushed right to the edge just to fit the name Bedrock. Otherwise, I'll be expecting exotic dinosaur steak?

For more details and photos, see - http://4-the-love-of-food.blogspot.com/2009/06/bedrock-bar-grill-creating-stormin.html

good but expensive - worth a try once

so we are regulars at les bouchons (LB) too (ann siang hill preferred) but someone said we should try this place.

food: tenderloin was excellent, melt in your mouth, proper bearnaise (les bouchons COME ON make your own), cauliflower gratin and spinach excellent. fries good but COME ON BEDROCK - copy LB and make it unlimited - will it cost you $5 to do that? desert choc cakey thing that wife chose was ok. good wine at $15/glass. starter bread with garlic was a class touch and excellent too.

ambience/service: like everyone says ny steakhouse, very good lighting, great little booths for 2. really excellent service - server described cuts of meat, service was 10/10 not too attentive, prompt, water refilled etc etc - world class.

value: $240 for 2 steaks, 1 fries, 2 sides, 1 desert, no starters, 4 glasses of wine (yes we were bad).........hmmmmmm......cost at LB i guess $150 max.......hmmmmmm........was it worth it - not sure.

will we come back? - not sure - maybe for a change of scenery 1x a year but LB is not threatened and this is expensive - maybe relying on its orchard road location/tourists etc - it was 90% full thursday nite. oh yes you guys were right music was a bit odd - but we didnt notice it after a while.