Back to Bedrock Bar & Grill#01-05, Pan Pacific Serviced Suites, 96...

Smoked Tomato Soup5 votes
Macaroni cheese3 votes
all the various cuts of meat.3 votes
tenderloin3 votes

Wine Lists17 votes
Anniversary5 votes
Alfresco/Outdoor Dining4 votes
Corporate Events4 votes

EXPERIENCE WESTERN AUSTRALIA 5-COURSE SET DINNER . Other deals are available, find out more

inSing.com Editor
 • 21 Apr 2010 420 reviews 32 followers
Overall
I finally made it to lunch at Bedrock Bar & Grill… one year late but better late than never. Located at the Pan Pacific Serviced Suites, the newly crowned “best new restaurant for 2010” by Singapore Tatler certainly lives up to its title. As a single malt drinker, I couldn’t help but notice the wall of whisky bottles as I entered the restaurant. I was told the collection comprises premium whiskies sourced from all over the world, and lockers are available if I wished to purchase a bottle to leave at the restaurant for my future visits.

The clever use of wood and concrete, along with hanging pots and pans decorating the open kitchen area, created a cosy and warm ambience that is unpretentious yet sophisticated. Looks aside, what matters is the food. We were on to a great start with the appetisers -- smoked tomato soup ($12) and whisky trout salad ($18). The tomato soup packed a punch, thanks to the applewood-smoked tomatoes that gave it the extra flavours. The house cured ocean trout was tasty without being too salty and came served on a bed of mesclun leaves, pine nuts and orange slices, topped with single malt dressing. The warm flat bread served with fresh olive oil dip and roasted garlic bulbs on the side has definitely set new standards for garlic bread.

Moving on to the mains, it was all about meat! The dry aged strip loin (something you can find only at good steak houses, $68 for 250g) was delicious with the special Bedrock chilli oil. There are three other sauces available with the grilled meat dishes - pinot noir reduction, classic béarnaise and hot whisky mustard. For a non-beef option, we also tried the slow roasted pork belly with bourbon mustard sauce ($25).

For desserts, we went for a double whammy with the apple crumble for two ($20) and the apple tart tartin (only available as part of the set lunch, $35 for three courses). Delectable as it may be, I wished there was more crumble. As for tart tartin, it is hard to go wrong when you combine caramelised apple with a puff pastry.

Bedrock, as the name suggests, is all about the fundamentals. I think this joint is on its way to big success if it continues offering consistently good food with great service.

-- Marie Choo

yummyheidi
 • 06 Apr 2010 1 review 0 follower
Overall
Was there with my husband on a Monday and was surprise to see the place 90% occupied. Wonderful service, warm & friendly staffs, yummy food... I will definitely visit again as I didnt get the chance to try out their signature apple crumble!

Must tries: hot whiskey mustard sauce to go with the steak

Lunch, Dinner, Romance/First Dates, Girls Night Out, After Work, Private Dining, Quiet

Joshua Ong
 • 29 Mar 2010 55 reviews 8 followers
Overall
In spite of glowing reviews, I'd never heard of this place until I stepped into it for lunch with 3 colleagues.  Maybe that's because I've never been much of a steak fan: why pay so much for something I can quite easily make on my own with a good hunk of meat?  And if you think about it, steak is usually a monotonous dish - you keep chewing on the same piece of meat for say, half an hour, with perhaps only occasional bites of sides like fries or some vague salad.

Having said that, I liked the warm, contemporary setting of this place.  It was cosy and homely, even though some of the tables were a tad close to each other.  You can almost imagine yourself in a trendy New York neighbourhood, that is if you don't happen to look out the part-blinded windows to see the heavy foot traffic to 313 Somerset!

We all chose the set lunch ($35), which gives one the choice from a list of 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts.  I had no hesitations about choosing the porcini ravioli to start.  This is a challenge for most cooks to get right, and I was going to judge them on the basis of this dish and not my main :-)  While waiting, we got to try the bread served with whole cloves of garlic.  A first for me: the flat bread scored points for being warm, but wasn't fragrant enough.  I garlic was soaked in a small dish of olive oil, but again, I felt that it lacked taste.  If they want to serve bread this way, they should source for the freshest, most aromatic garlic!

Happily enough, I wasn't disappointed with the starter, and would even say that this was better than my main.  The porcini (a type of mushroom with woody, heady overtones) in the ravioli was very fine and extremely well-seasoned, and cooked just nice; the parmigiano shavings and the truffle sauce were the perfect companion to it.  Ok, so it's very rich and sinful, but I have absolutely no qualms about putting on the extra calories for a treat like that!

For the mains, we could choose between a steak, a lamb rib and grilled salmon.  The waiter took pains to explain the cooking style behind each choice.  I was certainly not going to choose the steak frites, which is the most basic thing any bistro in France would have on its menu.  Anyway how else can you cook steak, besides grilling and frying??  Thus I opted for the lamb rib.  Admittedly, I wasn't too keen on the sound of the accompanying BBQ sauce, but we were told it was smoked with real hickory wood.  When it came, the lamb was tender and meaty, just a little charred on the outside as is the trend nowadays.  The sauce didn't have the cheap industrial taste either, but was deep and earthy, making it a good complement to the meat.  I had a bite of the steak option just to satisfy my curiosity.  Done medium rare, it was fairly tender, but had been cut too thin for my liking and lacked oomph.

I don't recall the name of my dessert.  It looked terribly plain, like a chocolate swiss roll on a sea of crème anglaise.  However, it tasted a lot better than it looked: the chocolate cake was dense and packed some real chocolate taste; the sauce was a little thin and insipid, but passable.

No complaints about the service, which was true to the spirit of the place: friendly and casual, helpful when questioned.  All in all, this was a fairly good experience and I wouldn't mind coming back again on occasion.

Must tries: Porcini ravioli

Lunch, Dinner, Large Groups/Gathering, Children/Family, Romance/First Dates, Boys Night Out, Girls Night Out, After Work, Quiet