Reviews for Bedrock Bar & Grill

AmericanAsianAustralianEuropeanJapaneseSteak and GrillsWestern
Address: #01-05, Pan Pacific Serviced Suites, 96 Somerset Road, 238163

28 Dec 2015

Decent Value Steak Set Lunches

We were craving steak but didn't fancy splurging at Morton's so dropped by Bedrock Bar & Grill for their steak set lunch since we happened to be in town during the weekend.

The interior isn't anything too fancy and sports wooden furniture, halogen lamps and a partially open concept kitchen with an island top and lots of overhanging pots and pans where you can view your bread being kneaded and baked. Window blinds provide cover from the adjacent pedestrian walkway. Overall a pretty cosy place if you happen to secure one of the booth seats.

Complimentary Flat Bread - Served with a clove of roasted garlic and butter, the piping hot flat bread came fresh out of the oven; warm, chewy and reminiscent of naan.

Classic Lobster Bisque - Relatively rich but salty even with the rather amount of chive cream, the lobster bisque boasted no lobster meat and the dubious honour of pairing best with a glass of water.

Confit Corned Chicken - This tasted like the chicken version of duck confit (duh!), just a touch more moist and a little less salty and flavourful. Accompanied by a sunny side up and crunchy, mildly salty sausages. Overall a very palatable dish but nothing to go wow over.

Woodfire Grilled Sirloin - At $58++ for the steak set lunch, this was pretty good. Relatively flavourful with a touch of salt and done medium as per my request. Meat was tender but not as juicy as I would have liked it to be. Topped with a creamy Bearnaise sauce and a side of slick and buttery mashed potato. Bread Street Kitchen, Morton's and Ruth Chris still does a meaner piece of steak but for the price, I really can't compare or complain.

Sticky Stout & Toffee Pudding - This dessert was pretty interesting - A scoop of gingernut ice cream (not a fan of ginger but this was pretty mild) plopped atop a rather sweet toffee pudding with a significant stout aftertaste. To counter the sweetness, tart red berries were placed alongside. Decent finish to our meal.

HGW happened to be running a promotion during that period so we got $10 off each set lunch ($28++ for non steak and $48++ for the steak variant). Food quality came across as decent (steak was a notch above that) and so did service. I'm honestly not inclined to return, given that Bistro Du Vin does a reasonably good steak for lunch as well and offers a more compelling value proposition in my humble opinion.

More reviews of Bedrock Bar & Grill

Overall

For Smoked Tomato Soup...Bread & Roasted Garlic "Spread"

This review is long overdue... :p

It was a simple dinner appointment that turned out pretty enjoyable for both CG and myself. CG suggested checking out the new Pan Pacific Serviced Suites, which means Oriole Café or Bedrock. Oriole was so packed and Bedrock is just so tempting since I’m too lazy to walk elsewhere in search for dinner. We looked at the menu and decide to just walk in.

The interior is dark (not helpful for food-tography), but definitely a good place to date or have your girls night out. As this is our first visit to the restaurant, the waiter guides us through the menu and their specialties. After a good 10mins, we decided on the following:

Smoked Tomato Soup - $12.00

300g Ribeye with Mustard Seed Sauce - $42.00

Twice Cooked Duck - $36

2 glasses of Montes Red - $12.00 per glass

Complimentary bread was served with butter and a cloves of ROASTED garlic drizzled with what seems like olive oil (?) The flat bread was served warm and taste good with the butter. What stole the limelight was the roasted garlic! The garlic was nicely roasted till perfection and indeed literally garlic spread when you just poke a piece and spread it on the flat bread. A must try for those non-garlic eaters; this clove here will change your opinion on garlic.

Up next was the smoked tomato soup, made from roma tomato and smoked with apple wood; this soup is subtly bursting with the right amount of sweetness and tanginess. The soup goes well with the bread and taste good even if they serve the chilled version (IMO).

GC had a Ribeye done medium rare with mustard seed sauce. I believe most must have read her review so I need not say much. =)

I ordered the twice-cooked duck aka duck confit. Serve with fine mashed potatoes. Having taste the jackpot hitting duck confit at Sage. The one here is far from my liking. Not that it taste bad, but there’s something about it irking me off. Every bite is holding me back from enjoying this dish. The small tiny bits of broken chipped bone are the killer! I have to pick the bits of bone along with every piece of meat I put inside my mouth. It’s very frustrating. The skin of the duck is not crisp enough resulting in no explosion of fats and the meat is just tad dry. The only thing I like is this duck confit is not too salty. The very fine mash at the side is forgettable, too fine in texture for enjoyment. (IMO)

There are always hits and misses when it comes to food, however; overall it was a pretty ok experience for me. The tomato soup and bread is something that I might crave for. In terms of mains, I would suggest just go for the steak. Service was good and prompt. There’s a Citibank of 10% for cardholders.

PS: As the lighting is way too dim for food-tography, no pictures for this review.

Bedrock

A lot has already been said about the atmosphere of Bedrock so to keep it short its beautifully laid out. THe music though was seriously lacking on my first trip. It sounded like I was in the Hard Rock Cafe but when we asked the waited to change it they were happy to help - we also felt they were slightly relieved to get rid of the ridiculous heavy metal.

Waiter was excelletn explained the menu well and knew his stuff. We didn't bother with a starter as neither my friend nor i had big appetites. We order up one tenderloin and one air dried sirloin with sides of cauliflower au gratin, creamed spinach and fries for a true friday night indulgence. All of the food was divine. The steaks were like butter so soft in texture and full of flavour. The gratin not too creamy whilst the cauliflower maintained its integrity.

I have been back and was still impressed. The Dog Point SB on the wine list is always a welcome addition although the selection could lean a little toward Europe as well as the heavy concentration on the antipodean wines.

All in all a really good find and one which i hope to make regular visits too.

Definitely Worth A Visit

I finally found some time to head down to Bedrock when my friend was recently in town & I must say I was definitely impressed in general.

After seating us, they waiter who presented the menus proceeded to highlight the specials to us which was a great help in our selection process.

As they were having an ongoing NZ promotion, we ordered the scallop carpaccio from the specal menu to share. It was quite an interesting dish as it was served with a squeeze of lime & mustard which we were supposed to mix together. As for our mains, we heeded the waiter's recommendation of the aged US striploin & ordered one each, medium rare. Both steaks came beautifully done although my friend's red wine reduction sauce was disappointingly tasteless & bland. My mustard sauce was okay but nothing to shout about & I rather liked my steak without it.

Having not much room left for dessert, we decided to share what another pal had claimed 'he would kill for' - the apple crumble. Although that was the one thing I'd been looking forward to the entire meal, it turned out to be the biggest letdown of the night. There is only one way to say this - if you want instant diabetes, Bedrock's apple crumble is the way to go.

There is no way I can endorse the apple crumble the same way my other friend had but everything else was thoroughly enjoyable. The wonderful service provided by the entire team of service staff is reason enough for me to go back.

Love it

Been here a few times for dinner and once for lunch. Definitely prefer dinner, as lunch menu is limited, at least for now. Tomato soup is great. Steaks are great. Seabass is even good if you must have fish at a steakhouse. Enjoy the desserts too. Love the decor--nothing like it in Singapore IMO. Service is well-meaning but not always seamless. All around, quite a comfortable place.
Overall

lovely freshly baked bread and nice smoked tomato soup

Had dinner plans with WF and was wondering where to head to when I thought of the new makan places at Pan Pacific Serviced Suites. However when we reached, we initially wanted to not spend so much. But Oriole was packed and we were only left with Bedrock. We ended up hecking it and just splurged instead.

Bedrock has blinds all around and the interior has a very heavy use of wood. Upon entry, one will see an open kitchen concept for preparation of items such as bread and salads and wines lining the walkway from the entrance. We were seated in the booth seat, with a superb view of the open kitchen. Besides catching up, we were enjoying the view of the chefs prepping the dishes.

The staff explained the small menu and highlighted some of their specialities such as Panko Salad, Smoked Tomato Soup and Pepper Steak.

We started off with the complimentary freshly baked flat bread (think: naan) served with butter and cloves of roasted garlic. The bread was soft and warm. Butter was nice with the bread but frankly, the roasted garlic was BETTER! Served in cloves still in the 'skin' with a bit of the top chopped off, the garlic whole was easily eased out of its jacket. But it was soft enough to be a true blue garlic spread on the bread. Its palatable for non-garlic lovers too. WF can attest to that! Hee.

We shared the Smoked Tomato Soup ($12) and the bread also went very well with the soup. The soup was sweet and not sour. As we were sharing, the staff helped us split the soup into 2 portions for us. Nice.

I had the Aussie Ribeye - medium rare ($42) from the steak/beef section of the menu. For this ONLY the ribeye is served, no sides. I only get to make a choice of the sauce served on the side, in this case, I opted for the Mustard Seed Sauce. The ribeye was served on a hot plate and nicely done. Meat was tender and the mustard seed sauce was nice.

WF had the Duck Confit ($36) but it only garnered an 'ok' from her. Guess she will elaborate further in her review.

We also had a glass of Montes red wine each ($12 each).

Overall, the food and ambience was not bad. Just that prices are really on the high side. For the few items we had above, total damage was about $123 after discount from Citibank.