Reviews for Bedrock Bar & Grill

AmericanAsianAustralianEuropeanJapaneseSteak and GrillsWestern
Address: #01-05, Pan Pacific Serviced Suites, 96 Somerset Road, 238163

12 Feb 2016

Ribeye! Mac n Cheese!

We've walked by Bedrock a hundred time and finally stopped in for dinner. We have no idea why we waited so long! The ribeye was a perfect medium temperature. Was super juicy. Really nice touch to have a hot stone platter as a plate. The Mac and Cheese coming out on the hot skillet is a must have with the steak. I am already planning a next visit for a steak again. I'd like to note that Chloe was so helpful and nice to take care of us through our meal. For your sweet tooth we had the churos. Was a bit pricey but came out nice and fresh
Ribeye cap steak

More reviews of Bedrock Bar & Grill

Overall

lovely freshly baked bread and nice smoked tomato soup

Had dinner plans with WF and was wondering where to head to when I thought of the new makan places at Pan Pacific Serviced Suites. However when we reached, we initially wanted to not spend so much. But Oriole was packed and we were only left with Bedrock. We ended up hecking it and just splurged instead.

Bedrock has blinds all around and the interior has a very heavy use of wood. Upon entry, one will see an open kitchen concept for preparation of items such as bread and salads and wines lining the walkway from the entrance. We were seated in the booth seat, with a superb view of the open kitchen. Besides catching up, we were enjoying the view of the chefs prepping the dishes.

The staff explained the small menu and highlighted some of their specialities such as Panko Salad, Smoked Tomato Soup and Pepper Steak.

We started off with the complimentary freshly baked flat bread (think: naan) served with butter and cloves of roasted garlic. The bread was soft and warm. Butter was nice with the bread but frankly, the roasted garlic was BETTER! Served in cloves still in the 'skin' with a bit of the top chopped off, the garlic whole was easily eased out of its jacket. But it was soft enough to be a true blue garlic spread on the bread. Its palatable for non-garlic lovers too. WF can attest to that! Hee.

We shared the Smoked Tomato Soup ($12) and the bread also went very well with the soup. The soup was sweet and not sour. As we were sharing, the staff helped us split the soup into 2 portions for us. Nice.

I had the Aussie Ribeye - medium rare ($42) from the steak/beef section of the menu. For this ONLY the ribeye is served, no sides. I only get to make a choice of the sauce served on the side, in this case, I opted for the Mustard Seed Sauce. The ribeye was served on a hot plate and nicely done. Meat was tender and the mustard seed sauce was nice.

WF had the Duck Confit ($36) but it only garnered an 'ok' from her. Guess she will elaborate further in her review.

We also had a glass of Montes red wine each ($12 each).

Overall, the food and ambience was not bad. Just that prices are really on the high side. For the few items we had above, total damage was about $123 after discount from Citibank.

Take 2..... I'm back

So I did make it back,

What can i say....These guys are getting their gig together, they should be ready to rock 'n' roll in no time.

We sampled a different variety this time round, except for this repeat: Hokkaido Scallops and Chorizo, we had the smoked tomato soup, sauteed mushrooms, Asparagus, Snapper & Scampi, Cheeky beef pie. It was all good, unpretentious simply prepared, I was satisfied. They hit the right note this time round. I especially enjoyed the pie, simple but tasteful.

Final Verdict - I'll be back

Slow Rock...

The Title says it all, SLOW ROCK...

This new kid on the block hasn't got its groove together yet. Our meal started @ 830 ended almost 1100.

The intervals we had kinda mellowed the appetite so....not the best experience.

The folks at bedrock were sincere with the service but somehow couldn't manage the time and delivery. They were generous with their inhouse bread which was good. The starters were good as well, we had the Hokkaido scallops with chorizo and some Sauteed mushrooms and for mains I had house signature - Dry Aged Sirloin. It was mediocre for that price. Had better in the U.S so there is a benchmark for reference.

However, my wife had the duck and she loves it. The other folks in our party had the Black Pepper steak (Not the usualy kind), they we pleased with their meat. Desserts were fine, apple crumble scored it for me and the Lime merigne cream was decent.

Wrap it up, Bedrock has my thumbs up and they deserve a 2nd tasting, I'll be gunning for the other stuff so this is not final.

verdict akan datang!

I'll be back...
Overall

I could just be lazy and second what Contrarian and G say below...

Yup, it's a New York style steakhouse, alright. It has the requisite dark interior, booth seating and racks of wine and whisky on the way in. The walls seem to have been covered in a deconstructed shed, which looked a little odd at first but I soon got used to it. The tables are a hint close packed and two of the booths are situated like theatre boxes with an enfilade view of two of the larger tables. While I'm not averse to eavesdropping on others' conversations (sorry...), a foot more space between tables would reduce the feeling of over familiarity with other diners. The booths are definitely the option to go for if you can get them and there aren't too many of you; what you lose in table space you gain in gen-yoo-wine New York steakhouse experience.

The menu is fairly self-explanatory, so it's curious that you get a guided tour through it when you arrive. The useful feature is the recommendations, I suppose. We skipped the starters, correctly guessing that doing anything else would leave insufficient room for macaroni cheese and pudding.

Two of us had the substantial pepper steak, which was cooked just right, although like Contrarian, I prefer ribeye or t-bone myself. The fries were pretty much perfect, being crispy and light and staying that way until we finished them. The tar-like pepper sauce, which I didn't use in the end, was the pepperiest thing in the universe. I was literally gasping after dipping my fork in to try it. Happily, it comes on the side so I wasn't obliged to tangle with it further. The other diner liked the pepper sauce, though, so hooray for individual choice.

The missus has the twice cooked duck; it was okay - the skin was quite crispy - but the texture and flavour of the duck itself wasn't overwhelming. Probably best to stick with the steak.

On the side we had the macaroni cheese, which was excellent thanks in large part to the oodles of truffle oil that had evidently gone into it. (Edit: the wife says I underplayed how good the M&C is, apparently it's "effing amazing and everyone must order it or face my wrath"). We also had creamed spinach, which was good, and mushrooms in garlic. Sadly, I forget what the other two thought of the mushrooms and I hate mushrooms so I shall have to create an air of mystery as to their quality: there are mushrooms and you may order them; it will be a journey of discovery...

Drinks: a Russian something-or-other and a mojito met with approval and relatively swift inebriation from my dining chums - they obviously don't skimp on the measures. We picked up a very good 2001 Barolo for 120 dollars from the decent wine list.

Puddings: I had the apple crumble and was no less happy - it comes with super-crunchy walnut and crumble topping (although I'd prefer something other than walnut as I've never been a fan) rather reminiscent of what Cedele puts on top of its blueberry muffins. As always, I wanted more ice cream but I think largely because I'm a gluttonous wretch. The salted caramel and macadamia nut biscuit sandwich was also good - especially the macadamia biscuit, apparently.

Service throughout was friendly and attentive - and if I'm to be super-critical too attentive at times: we were asked several times whether we were enjoying our meal. That might be because as a confirmed early-diner, especially at weekends, we had the place to ourselves when we started and it was still only half full when we left, but they seemed sincere so I'm assuming they are generally going to be good. They even pointed out - without being asked - that there's a 10% discount on food if you pay by Citi card (sadly half of our bill was drinks so we only got 18 bucks back...)

The other two - I've never been - said Bedrock is "a high-end Jack's Place" but told me not to say so because Bedrock would go out of business within a week if it ever got out. I have no idea if that's a fair comparison but I'm almost minded to try Jack's Place as a result.

Bedrock Bar & Grill

Bedrock Bar & Grill is dead serious about serving up some of the most authentic New York style steaks in town.. We started off with roasted marrow on toast ($16)a simple but stunning appetizer with some beef bone marrow served on some warm bread. We also used some of our bread for the delicious smoked tomato soup ($12)--an applewood smoked tomato soup with basil mascarpone. For our mains, the US tenderloin ($48) jumped immediately from the menu and it didn’t disappoint; were ordered it rare and it was everything a steak should be--succulent, tender and flavorful. For our second main we deviated from the meat and plumped for something from the Something Fancy portion of the menu, swiftly gunning for the baked whisky prawns ($46), and boy was it a veritable highlight, with clams and chorizo accompanying the tarragon spiced dish. The apple crumble ($15) served with walnut streusel and vanilla ice cream was not really an inspired choice for desert. Better to go for the Banana Foster ($12) warm banana served with bourbon sauce and cocoa nibs, which is something different. The only grouse was that service was a little slow for a place that wasn’t even half full when we were there. But the food is scrumptious enough for us to overlook this anomaly and give it a couple more tries.